13 Pin- Orphaned or Not?

Started by Rhcole, January 25, 2018, 03:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlb

Four things for next-gen VG-1000:

1) "Warble-free" alt tunings and twelve-strings. Home-frickin'-run right there.
2) Bring back the ring-modulator. Most people don't know that you have to "tune" that to the key that you're in, but once you do, what a kick effect for single note, dual-note and triad chords! Play a mixolydian scale on that (i.e., dominant 7th), and you have this really cool "musical" (as opposed to "just noise") effect.
3) Include the Gibson "Memphis" pickups response into the modeling fold. Can't say enough good about the character of these "slightly imbalanced" pickups.
4) Include the effects loop, with traditional analog I/O but also a "Roland/Boss digital bus" I/O to "go completely pristine" between Roland/Boss boxes/mixers/what-have-you.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Shingles

Quote from: chrish on January 29, 2018, 10:00:52 AM
The next VG 2020 should include Models of all the available acoustic instruments. Is that too much to ask?

Except bagpipes, of course.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

carlb

Quote from: Shingles on January 29, 2018, 10:39:47 AM

Yoshi: "We were going to include out killer bagpipe model, but it seemed users just weren't ready for it."  ;D
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Smash

At the risk of upsetting the cart if I were Roland whilst I'd be interested in forum requests I'd temper that with the knowledge that a new VG needs to break down barriers. There's quite a few tech heads on here who love diving deep - I agree I'd want ultimate tweakability and flexibility but a large part of its success woukd be reliant on its UI and ease of setup IMO. It has to be intuitive full stop.

I've said it before but for someone fresh into hex having an auto string level option (alongside manual cos I know we like to drive certain tones hot) woukd make real sense. A couple of strums and picking at a couple of frets per string woukd be painless and the benefit would be a more consistent user experience of patch presents. Maybe it would be a "learn my style" function I dont know. But consistency if user experience I think is fundamental - look at hiw many times level setting for midi vs gr300 vs acoustic etc. has been discussed.

Maybe a suggestions section broken into blocks might be useful? GK revisions section no reason a GK4 couldnt be developed (GK3 plus?) with dual pots maybe even wireless but backwards compatibility with GK 2 and 3, an input suggestions board, a chain routing board, midi board (don't mention class compliance lol!) etc etc.  Much easier to pick the bones out of.

All of this jumping the gun but this is excellent news....I think!

vtgearhead

Yes, that would require serving Haggis at the NAMM booth...

Antonuzzo

Racist! I'd love some pipes. Or a Glorfindel box at least.

But the two things I would love to see would be HiWatt and Supro amp models.

Vaultnaemsae

Imagine the best of all VG (and GR, and GP) worlds in one device...minus the silly oversights. Could it really happen?
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Brak(E)man

And of course string routing to different patches and/or multi Cosm for each string
(and bagpipes from each region on the globe)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gtlist

What a great news !! I can wait another 18 month. Just include IR thing and more in/out jack. We(?) were always better than Line6 until Helix come. Let's beat it again. (no offensive)   
Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe hss with gk3.Tom Anderson Atom wraparound bridge.
Tom Anderson Crowdster plus+ with gk3.
Steinberger GTPro hsh with sustainer pu and Gk3
Taylor 814CE,   Taylor GS Mini, Epiphone masterbilt dr500mce, martin xt1
Roland Gp-10, voicelive 3, Boss Sy-1000

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Rodrigo Schwarz on January 29, 2018, 09:53:07 AM
Cool, Elantric! Finally Roland woke up to the strength of this forum.

They have to rescue Vio Guitar and improve instruments like bowed, pipe and articulated. In my opinion, forget about the PCM tones.

It's great news Elantric

And yes Vio ,dual etc
The PCM should be wastly improved but more importantly " triggered' the way SY triggers the osc.
I'm really more into synth synthsounds though.

What I really want is a 13pin SY and all the Vgs in one with a 160 min stereo looper
and all the new fx , parallel and serial connections , True Stereo FX amps etc

- Lydia Lunch

chrish

when I heard Mike Oldfield use bagpipes on his record "Ommadawn", I wanted to learn to play that instrument. That record blew me away.

So when my dad was in Ireland to visit his ancestral country, I asked him to pick up a set, which he did.

Well I couldn't get the darn things to play, so I sold them.

The person that purchased them became irate and wanted his money back. Unbeknownst to me, some bagpipes in Ireland are sold to unsuspecting Tourists and there's no way they can be played. I guess they're meant to be mounted on the wall for show.

Buyer beware I guess.

" hey and away we go through the grass, across the snow, big brown Beastie, Big Brown face, I'd rather be with you then to fly through space"

mchad

Quote from: Elantric on January 29, 2018, 09:18:02 AM
I spoke with Mr Yoshi Ikegami Sunday morning

He indicated the economic environment is better now and they have a new high power DSP platform in GT-1000, which is the basis to grow more products,   he is assigning a new bi-lingual product development manager with better English skills for the next generation hex Pickup "VG VGuitar system. And over the course of this year they want my feedback / input on design priorities and features. I figure it may be an 18 month development before availability   

Awesome news Elantric. I hope you are being paid handsome consultancy fees! A VG1000 would indeed be a cool tool. I must confess though that I love my GP10 more for its alt tuning features and useable bass tones. I don't like the cheesy synth sounds. Maybe Boss could break out the alt tuning stuff to a separate little box much like their double stomp boxes (e.g the Slicer format). Keep it in the VG1000 of course.

Elantric

Quote from: mchad on January 29, 2018, 04:16:11 PM
Awesome news Elantric. I hope you are being paid handsome consultancy fees! A VG1000 would indeed be a cool tool. I must confess though that I love my GP10 more for its alt tuning features and useable bass tones. I don't like the cheesy synth sounds. Maybe Boss could break out the alt tuning stuff to a separate little box much like their double stomp boxes (e.g the Slicer format). Keep it in the VG1000 of course.

I'm a free volunteer , trying to get the manufacturers to provide better tools for us all.

chrish

Quote from: Elantric on January 29, 2018, 04:29:37 PM
I'm a free volunteer , trying to get the manufacturers to provide better tools for us all.
that's the spirit :)

alexmcginness

Quote from: Smash on January 29, 2018, 10:52:52 AM
At the risk of upsetting the cart if I were Roland whilst I'd be interested in forum requests I'd temper that with the knowledge that a new VG needs to break down barriers. There's quite a few tech heads on here who love diving deep - I agree I'd want ultimate tweakability and flexibility but a large part of its success woukd be reliant on its UI and ease of setup IMO. It has to be intuitive full stop.

I've said it before but for someone fresh into hex having an auto string level option (alongside manual cos I know we like to drive certain tones hot) woukd make real sense. A couple of strums and picking at a couple of frets per string woukd be painless and the benefit would be a more consistent user experience of patch presents. Maybe it would be a "learn my style" function I dont know. But consistency if user experience I think is fundamental - look at hiw many times level setting for midi vs gr300 vs acoustic etc. has been discussed.

Maybe a suggestions section broken into blocks might be useful? GK revisions section no reason a GK4 couldnt be developed (GK3 plus?) with dual pots maybe even wireless but backwards compatibility with GK 2 and 3, an input suggestions board, a chain routing board, midi board (don't mention class compliance lol!) etc etc.  Much easier to pick the bones out of.

All of this jumping the gun but this is excellent news....I think!

Dual pots are something they should have had when they upgraded the GK-2 to the GK-3. Im definately for that upgrade.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

gumtown

To add those extra GK-3 features, you either need more wires than the 13 pins (actually 14 including the outer shell ground),
or,
use the wire for GK type (in the GK-3, spare in the GK-2A), for serial data.
But that will induce digital noise from being within the same cable and the analog signals.

I think a GK-4, fully digital GK system, down a regular guitar cable,
capable of carrying a composite digital signal and D.C. power (like the old style masthead TV antenna RF amplifier),
plus an optional GK4 to GK-3/2A adapter box for backward compatibility.

Totally remove the whole "requires a special fragile 13 pin cable" sigma from VG/GR systems, and I think sales will take off upwards dramatically. !!

At the same time offer drop in GK pickups,
either as Fender strat or Gibson humbucker style, so your guitar does not look any different,
nor requires any permanent modifications.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

That's an interesting idea however the pickup would not be backwards compatible with older 13 pin gear, Nor would the old gk-3 be forward compatible with the new VG 1000.

Best to stick with analog. :)

Like the idea of roland producing a drop in HEX pick up though.

mooncaine

Quote from: alexmcginness on January 29, 2018, 09:33:22 AMPersonally Id like a GK pickup with two rotary controllers. That way one could be for volume and the other for tone or whatever. Yeah I know theres workarounds but I dont want workarounds. There is a need for a second pot on the gk wart. Just my 2c.v
And a 5-pos switch!

Smash

Quote from: chrish on January 29, 2018, 08:45:14 PM
That's an interesting idea however the pickup would not be backwards compatible with older 13 pin gear, Nor would the old gk-3 be forward compatible with the new VG 1000.

Best to stick with analog. :)

Like the idea of roland producing a drop in HEX pick up though.

Add a legacy 13 pin socket on the unit?

Antonuzzo

Quote from: chrish on January 29, 2018, 12:26:03 PM
when I heard Mike Oldfield use bagpipes on his record "Ommadawn", I wanted to learn to play that instrument. That record blew me away.

So when my dad was in Ireland to visit his ancestral country, I asked him to pick up a set, which he did.

Well I couldn't get the darn things to play, so I sold them.

The person that purchased them became irate and wanted his money back. Unbeknownst to me, some bagpipes in Ireland are sold to unsuspecting Tourists and there's no way they can be played. I guess they're meant to be mounted on the wall for show.

Buyer beware I guess.

" hey and away we go through the grass, across the snow, big brown Beastie, Big Brown face, I'd rather be with you then to fly through space"

Oh dear... were they Uilleann pipes? I started learning to play the Scottish pipes this year, in fact - well, I've got a practice chanter that I'm working on. It. Is. Not. Easy.

You've reminded me that I did a Mike Oldfield patch a while ago, to get his glassy "Shadow On The Wall" sound. I'll post it today. Ommadawn, though... what an immense album.

I think he used a VG-8 on "Man In The Rain". I wonder how we'd go about getting him to upload his patch set.

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

loopman

Great Elantric!!!  now we have the opportunity to express our ideas finally

My whishes,
In the name of all bass players: make the next VG product open to Bass world too, I'm waiting for it from the 2011, only one machine for guitar and bass
I wish a new GK (for guitar and bass) different from the last GK3
I wish that the next VG would be more synth oriented, a true new evolution, with never seen before features, a way of new possible tunings

That's my two cents
Let's hope that this dream would come true

gumtown

Quote from: loopman on January 30, 2018, 02:13:29 AM
Great Elantric!!!  now we have the opportunity to express our ideas finally

My whishes,
In the name of all bass players: make the next VG product open to Bass world too, I'm waiting for it from the 2011, only one machine for guitar and bass
I wish a new GK (for guitar and bass) different from the last GK3
I wish that the next VG would be more synth oriented, a true new evolution, with never seen before features, a way of new possible tunings

That's my two cents
Let's hope that this dream would come true

Me too !!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

cags12

It would be good if the "new" GK-4 pickup offer options for 7 strings. I would not mind sacrificing the UP/Down switches for an extra or two? (8 strings) audio channels. To maintain backwards compatibility, it can be toggled with jumpers, physical internal switches or all digitally. See Cycfi you can either choose extra audio channels or CV lines. Of course you need an option for the size of the pickup.

In an ideal scenario I'd like a nice (well done) multiplexer ala Darkfire either digital or analog. But being realistic, the above request would be more feasible.

Antonuzzo

Quote from: gumtown on January 29, 2018, 07:49:27 PM

At the same time offer drop in GK pickups,
either as Fender strat or Gibson humbucker style, so your guitar does not look any different,
nor requires any permanent modifications.

This alone would swing it for a lot of users, but I think it might introduce tracking issues, depending on how far from the bridge it was mounted.

I agree about the extra functions. I'd love to see more controller options on the pickup too, but it would likely involve a radical overhaul of the system, a move away from 13-pin to something else.... which could alienate the loyal fanbase.