GP-10 - Fx chain limits

Started by SLICK, July 17, 2014, 05:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLICK

So the dist and wah are seperate blocks?
You can't have pitch shifter and tremolo on at the same time?
Is the dist in the FX block or is it a seperate block?
Can I have dist and tremolo on at the same time?

Sounds like an improvement over the gr55 but only just....
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

Elantric

Observe this screen shot of GP-10 Boss Tone Studio, depicting the GP-10s FX Block
The order of ANYTHING in this specific block can be altered, moved, re-arranged and changed by the user
Understand anything in the middle Multi-FX block is re-arrangeable

- for example I can finally make a decent Surf Guitar patch by placing the reverb in front of the AMP (this is impossible with the GR-55)

Review the GP-10 Boss Tone Studio thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10862.msg85955#msg85955

As the screen caps of controls provide more incite to the Boss GP-10 signal routing and FX options

Rhcole

I haven't installed Tone Studio yet.
Can you "pull" anything out of the FX section (distortion, Uni-Vibe) and put it in place of wah or something else and still have other FX?

I doubt it, but otherwise you can have only one of the FX running.

The number of FX appears less robust to me than the GR-55, but it is nice that you can change the order.

Elantric

QuoteI haven't installed Tone Studio yet.

As a graphical oriented "Picture is always worth 1000 words" type , navigating and editing the GP-10 using only the two line character LCD without the Tone Studio Editor is an approach I would find mind-numbing.

sixeight

Do you have one fx block for the cosm channel and one for the magnetic input channel? Or is there only one effects block in the whole unit?

Elantric

THats a question not easily answered

Its best to Review the GP-10 Boss Tone Studio thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10862.msg85955#msg85955

Here's a patch using your  Mag PU's with GP-10 COSM AMP Modeling

Here's a patch using a COSM Modeled Guitar with Alt Tuning with GP-10 COSM AMP Modeling

mbenigni

QuoteObserve this screen shot of GP-10 Boss Tone Studio, depicting the GP-10s FX Block
The order of ANYTHING in this specific block can be altered, moved, re-arranged and changed by the user  - for example I can finally make a decent Surf Guitar patch by placing the reverb in front of the AMP (this is impossible with the GR-55)

That is a huge improvement of the GR55.  But also a strong indication that I'd be starting from scratch if I wanted to do another TouchOSC template for the GP10.  It sounds like the architectures are substantially different.

SLICK

Definitely an improvement over the gr55 for "normal" guitar fx but still way short of a vg or gt with only 1 fx block and no separate OD/DST block.
If you list use a distortion pedal for your main source of dirt then it's a pretty sever down side for me. :'(
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

Elantric

QuoteDefinitely an improvement over the gr55 for "normal" guitar fx but still way short of a vg or gt with only 1 fx block and no separate OD/DST block.
If you list use a distortion pedal for your main source of dirt then it's a pretty sever down side for me. :'(

In my case, I will be using  a modified  US-20 A/B/Y selector with FX Loop,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3664.0

and run a few of my favorite analog stomp pedals for normal Mag PU's feeding two GP-10s ( for fast A/B switching mid song) for a small mobile battery powered pedal board i can use for 8 hours anywhere. 
(references)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10662.msg77071#msg77071

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11717.0

Elantric

No forum post, photos, spoken words, MP3 audio recordings, or Youtube videos can effectively communicate or act as a substitute for real hands on experience and actual one on one "play time" with any piece of music gear - including the Boss GP-10.

While the Boss GP-10 is just another tool, I've determined its exactly the right tool for my specific needs. 

I'll leave it to a guitar center salesman to convince you to use "Gear A" over "Gear B".

I'm just reporting what gear I'm currently focused on using for my specific needs and requirements , and how I'm accomplishing those goals. 

Doc Plus

The best would be to have 1 block for the divided pickup and 1 for the magnetic pickup, and of course all the fx available.
I would be happy to have the pitch shifter on the magnetic pickup block !!!!

The modeling amps are not available on the divided pickup block ? WTF ? No bass amp for a modeling bass ?  ???
I will check that on the manual.

Thanks for all the GP-10 owners who share info !  ;)

Elantric

Here's a patch using your  Mag PU's with GP-10 COSM AMP Modeling

Here's a patch using a COSM Modeled Guitar with Alt Tuning with GP-10 COSM AMP Modeling

Doc Plus

Thanks a lot for these examples ! That's crystal clear !

The manual diagram is ambigous.
"You can change the order in which effects are connected" does not mean you can do anything you want with the fx.

drewfx1

Quote from: Doc Plus on July 20, 2014, 03:00:22 PM
Thanks a lot for these examples ! That's crystal clear !

The manual diagram is ambigous.
"You can change the order in which effects are connected" does not mean you can do anything you want with the fx.

Yes, you can move any of the 9 FX blocks, in any order, to either pre-mixer/modeled, pre-mixer/normal or post mixer for each patch.

amplayer

Quote from: Elantric on July 17, 2014, 01:14:37 PM
As a graphical oriented "Picture is always worth 1000 words" type , navigating and editing the GP-10 using only the two line character LCD without the Tone Studio Editor is an approach I would find mind-numbing.

Of course, this very statement is the Achilles Heel of such a small device like the GP-10.
What do you do in a live setting when you find you need to make edits?  Bring a computer??

My old Boss GT-8 is fantastic for live use because all the important stuff can be edited on the fly without too much fuss.
GP-10, not so much.

Elantric

QuoteOf course, this very statement is the Achilles Heel of such a small device like the GP-10.
What do you do in a live setting when you find you need to make edits?  Bring a computer??

Actually making edits to basic FX on GP-10 is not too bad (its very similar to my  old 1990 Boss SE-50) , but for me diving in and making edits for the OSC SYNTH parameters I find daunting, and would never do at a live gig anyway. 

MusicOverGear

Just wanted to share something regarding on-the-job editing. I took a knee and dug into the controls of the GP-10 twice last nite, just on one show. The bass player missed the whole first set, so I covered bass. I reached down and edited my "Sitar" patch, which I selected because it is pretty spare - no effects or anything. I switched Model to E.Bass and Amp to Bass Clean and that was it. By the end of the set I was sorely wishing I had transposed the whole thing down a fourth to make it a 5-string; it would have been easy to make the edit between songs, but I was afraid I'd get confused since I already "thought" I was playing four string...

The other one went like this: I have my homemade patches at the end of the numbers because those were the ones that were blank when I opened the box. However Boss Tone Studio seems to dump live sets onto the GP-10 starting at 1 regardless of what you might actually want - maybe I missed something? Anyway I realized I wanted an OSC lead patch that was sitting in the low 90's when I had Patch Extent set to 1-7. So - during a song - I turned OFF Patch Extent, switched Patch Extent to 1-8, scrolled to 91 or whatever patch number it was, clicked the WRITE button, changed 91 to 8, WRITE, WRITE, and then switched Patch Extent back on. I did this during the verse of a song (hard breakdown) and it was no problem.

I think the hardware interface became manageable to me because the desktop editor didn't come out for several days after I got my GP-10, so it was either sit on my hands and wait or just dig in. I would recommend that for anyone who wants to be able to edit on-the-job: spend some time with the manual and the hardware interface and uninstall Boss Tone Studio for like a week. If I can do it anyone can.

supernicd

You are getting right at the stuff I want to hear about, MusicOverGear - how this is going for people using it live.  Thanks for the report.  Keep 'em coming!
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

mojo thorne

I've been wondering about the number of effects that can be used at one, and while it seems like the question may have been answered in this thread, it's still not clear for me.  Is it possible to use multiple effects in the FX block in a patch, or is it limited to 1 per block like the GR55?  For instance, could I use two of the OD's in front of one of the amp models?  I haven't been able to find a clear (to me) answer.  It seems like it should be able to, but the manual, online demos and screenshots in this forum lead me to believe that only one effect from the FX block can be used at a time.  Sorry if I'm just being dense!

pauly468

I have used the GP10 at 2 pub gigs recently, the first was on New Year's eve where I had it alongside my existing Boss GT10, and just used it for alt running songs.

On Saturday night at a 'short notice' gig I just took the GP 10 as my only effects pedal (as my other gear was elsewhere).

The Good:
My ears have previously had 'digital fatigue' from digital modelling amps (like the Fender Mustang). I can't quite explain it, but after having for a few weeks, I just didn't get on with the sounds. Anyway, I haven't felt this with the GP10. At both gigs i went into combo amps. When I edit patches at home I'm running through a Yamaha desk and through 2 x Tannoy Reveal monitors, but I just took a Left (mono) out of the GP10, straight into the amp input. Rolled off all the bass/mid/treble to almost zero (as the patches already have EQ on them).

The footprint and weight is brilliant (particularly as I was sharing my part of the stage with a Christmas tree).

The alt tunings patches worked seamlessly and I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it for that.

Bad & Ugly:
Like any nice piece of kit it takes a while to get used to it and I did have a moment when I went to hit the first note of a solo and there was nothing there (the solo sound was on the middle Gtr/Synth setting and I'd left it on the synth setting...doh!). After that I started a quick check before each song!

I did a quick bit of EQ editing to a couple of patches, and felt that as long as I didn't alter anything I shouldn't, I'd be alright - and I was.

In terms of FX chains, I think the area which is hardest to get right is the crunch/distorted tones. I'm still working on them, and with different rooms and crowd sizes, a bit of onstage tweaking is probably always needed.

Paul