VG-99- Using the Expression pedal on FC 300 to perform both Wah & Foot volume

Started by Mark Haydon, October 27, 2017, 10:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Haydon

I use my VG 99 with the FC 300 in Syx excl mode. EXP 1 is Wah and EXP 2 switch activates the univibe   with the pedal controlling the univibe rate.
In the Boss GP 10 and Roland GR 55 , the EXP pedal acts as a volume pedal and when the switch is engaged it activates the wah.

Have been trying to do this with the VG 99+ FC 300 with no luck. If I assign FV to exp pedal 1 along with wah, when the wah is engaged, the volume also drops and rises with the pedal movement.
Have I missed something ,? As I have to use a third dedicated expression pedal just for volume. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

rolandvg99

As far as I know the VG-99/FC-300 does not have switchable dual assigns. The GP-10 uses the EXP switch to alternate between two EXP assigns. Not possible in the VG-99/FC-300 setup. Need a third pedal.

But do you use the Uni-Vibe and the Wah at the same time? Why not assign both to the same pedal and let the EXP switch toggle between them and make another switch assign to mute the Uni-Vibe when not in use?
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

admin

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 27, 2017, 11:57:02 AM
As far as I know the VG-99/FC-300 does not have switchable dual assigns. The GP-10 uses the EXP switch to alternate between two EXP assigns. Not possible in the VG-99/FC-300 setup. Need a third pedal.

But do you use the Uni-Vibe and the Wah at the same time? Why not assign both to the same pedal and let the EXP switch toggle between them and make another switch assign to mute the Uni-Vibe when not in use?

Gumtown mentioned a "trick -to add a "Virtual Toe switch"  by adding compressible rubber under the toe of the expression pedal
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21875.msg157617#msg157617
QuoteI posted this as a tip on another site,
but thought it might be of value to those that want to get the most out of their MS-3 using an EXP pedal.

Another handy tip for an EXP pedal is to glue soft rubber pads under the toe and heel ends,
normal EXP range does your regular control stuff,
and a hard press at either end works like an EXP switch (which how the Boss gear with built in EXP pedal switch works).
So your EXP normal range is 1 to 126,
hard press one ends sends the EXP pedal range value to 0 the other end to 127.
And set an Assign to toggle between EXP values of 0 & 1, and 126 & 127.

rolandvg99

That could work. Did that on my old VG-88 and it should work on the FC-300, now that you mentioned it.  :)

whippinpost91850

Gumtown mentioned a "trick -to add a "Virtual Toe switch"  by adding compressible rubber under the toe of the expression pedal
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21875.msg157617#msg157617

I have used this on a couple of EV-5 pedals for a couple of years and it works well

rolandvg99

admin

Mark Haydon

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 27, 2017, 11:57:02 AM

I use the Wah on EXP pedal  1 and Univibe on EXP pedal 2. was looking at the Wah ( EXP Pedal 1) to double as a volume control when the wah is not engaged. But thanks for your inputs

Mark Haydon

Quote from: Mark Haydon on October 27, 2017, 06:40:54 PM
I use the Wah on EXP pedal  1 and Univibe on EXP pedal 2. was looking at the Wah ( EXP Pedal 1) to double as a volume control when the wah is not engaged. But thanks for your inputs. This is a good idea to assign both Univibe and Wah to one pedal and use the other as a volume control

rolfay

I know this is an old thread but I have worked out a way to use one FC-300 expression pedal as both volume and wah in the way requested, with some caveats, after looking all over the forums for an answer with no joy. If there is one already somewhere I apologise for the duplicate post! I too wanted to switch between volume control and Wah control, I think because that's how the old GT-10 worked. . . . . and Hendrix would have definitely applied wah and Uni-v at the same time!

1. First set up your required tone on the A channel - guitar model, amps, whatever, with mod1 fx as uni-v.
2. Duplicate it on the B channel.
3. Assign expression pedal 2 switch to turn on the uni-vibe on both channels, latched.
4. Assign expression pedal 2 to control the rate of the uni-vibe on both channels, min and max to your taste.
5. Assign expression pedal 1 to [B FX] WAH pedal position (for channel B).
6. Assign expression pedal 1 to  [A] COSM guitar, e.gtr (or whatever your instrument is), VOL (for channel A).
7. Assign expression pedal 1 switch to Target A/B BAL, MIN A100:0B, MAX A0:100B, Latched

You can assign the expression pedal 1 switch to turn the channel B wah on and off too, or just leave it on all the time. I think you would need to remember to save it with the channel B wah in the on position. . .

The behaviour you should get (if I've typed it out right!) is

* turning on and off the uni-vibe on both channels with expression pedal 2 switch
* control of the rate of the uni-vibe with expression pedal 2
* Switching from channel A to channel B with expression pedal 1 switch
* expression pedal 1 controls the instrument volume of channel A, the wah position of Channel B, you hear volume controlled tone or wah effected tone depending on the status of the expression pedal 1 switch

Caveats are you only have one channel to play with as you need the same tone on both channels, and any time based effects (delay reverb) you use WITHIN each channel will lose their tails when the channels switch to activate the wah and deactivate the volume control and vice-versa. Of course you can use the delay/reverb in the mixer section without this problem.

I can post a sample patch with the assigns if anyone wants it.

Roland

admin

Quotea way to use one FC-300 expression pedal as both volume and wah in the way requested,
Often these Multi-use expression pedal assignments are part of a shared VG-99 Patch in the VG-99 User patch exchange - which was very active 2008-2011

Search on "FC-300" in the VG-99 Patch area

Or review a similar type control patch and clone portions  for your needs

Brent Flash wrote>

"This patch has wah, just press the toe switch on EXP 1 to turn it on and the EXP 1 movement will do it."

VG-99 - ZZ Top patch
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1530.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1530.0;attach=1684

admin

QuoteI can post a sample patch with the assigns if anyone wants it.

Please post the VG-99 *.mid patch file

READ FIRST - VG-99 Patch Submission Format+How to SAVE and LOAD PATCHES!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

rolfay

Here's the patch, sorry for the delay. The tone itself is nothing special, just there to demonstrate the functionality of the expression pedals described above! Let me know if there's any issues. I saved it patch only so there shouldn't be any problems with system settings overwriting but please take the usual precautions and back up before you try it out; I'm fairly new to all this as I do most of my editing on the unit and not via the editor. . . . R