VG-99 DISCONTINUED by Roland

Started by Gatormike, November 01, 2009, 09:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G

Here is my perhaps uneducated and ill-informed take!

This excites me a little bit, because it means that this super special device will be seen in decades to come as a rare artifact that will likely gain more and more value by the day, and become more and more mysterious , much like some synths from the past that people spend tens of thousands of dollars to purchase due to their rarity.

Also, it may unify the community of the current owners with a greater sense of loyalty and understanding to continue using it for years to come....

Bill Ruppert

Quote from:  G on November 25, 2013, 07:10:04 AM

This excites me a little bit, because it means that this super special device will be seen in decades to come as a rare artifact that will likely gain more and more value by the day, and become more and more mysterious , much like some synths from the past that people spend tens of thousands of dollars to purchase due to their rarity.

Also, it may unify the community of the current owners with a greater sense of loyalty and understanding to continue using it for years to come....

I agree 100%!!

GeePeeAxe

Really a pity! They could have implemented a better midi recognition section into the old 99
and work on less quantity but better quality amp and speaker simulation, as much as higher
quality effects. I would buy a new VG if it is significantly better than the 99, but remember:
the difference between VG-8 and VG-88 was not really huge. The 99 was a major step ahead.
Roland, please continue!

Unhappy Djordje
signin off

Brak(E)man

I'm getting a third unit , just to be safe.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

supernicd

As somone who's never owned a VG (I've owned a couple of GR series including the GR-55), I'm actually excited to see what Roland comes out with next.  I thought the 55 was neater in a way than the VG, because of the PCM sounds.  As it turns out, I don't use them that much on the GR-55, but I use the heck out of the COSM stuff.

The form factor on the VG-99 I always thought was weird.  It doesn't look like a good thing to sit on the floor and has no stomps or expression pedal, but then it doesn't come ready to rack mount either.  So I hope they offer one or both of those in the next VG.  And I sure hope they don't dumb it down. 

FWIW, I don't really consider the GR-55 to be a stripped down version, but rather a fusion of two of their technologies....  And seems like they took what they thought were the key elements from each.  Not sure everyone would agree 100% on what the key elements are.

Roland seems to pride themselves on being innovators and pioneers in this area, and with recent competitor developments, they're going to have to do something big to keep that reputation.

I'm waiting with anticipation...  And I hope they blow us all away.  Guess we'll see.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Antonuzzo

Quote from:  G on November 25, 2013, 07:10:04 AM

I thought this too, but (sweeping generalisation here) guitarists can be a very catholic bunch a lot of the time with a tendency to listen with their eyes. Even the most glowing reviews of the VG units tend to have a phrase somewhere along the lines of "whilst this will never replace your Les Paul and Marshall..."

...which might be true if you're Steve Morse and can tell the difference between different types of batteries in an active circuit. The other 99% of people would struggle to tell the difference between the models and the real thing if everything is set up correctly and the patch is well-programmed.  A mis-adjusted GK on a factory preset isn't going to show the unit off to its best.

I've demoed the VG-8, VG-99 and VB-99 to other musicians and they've all been floored by it - but mostly put off by the 'complexity' of the setup. (Actually, not true of the VB-99, every bassist I've shown it to has wanted to tear the unit out of my hands).

So I don't think we'll see the same thing that happened with vintage synths and pedals. I've said this before - VG-8s often go for less than £100 but many players would rather spend twice that on a boutique pedal.

I think the v-guitar community will always stand slightly to one side of normal. But that suits me fine :)

vanceg

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on November 16, 2013, 07:07:33 PM
I will go crazy if they drop a new VG at winter NAMM this year...
I will be there.

I will be there too.  I'd be thrilled at a VG-990.

Weed_

http://www.rolandus.com/support/news//1761
there´s new driver!! I doubt there will be a new VG-99, the best thing they could do is to offer an upgrade for VG99!

aliensporebomb

Quote from:  Weed_ on January 04, 2014, 09:16:53 AM
http://www.rolandus.com/support/news//1761
there´s new driver!! I doubt there will be a new VG-99, the best thing they could do is to offer an upgrade for VG99!

Stupefied.  Unbelievable.

Downloaded, installed on my iMac running 10.91.
CPU is Corei7 2.8ghz, 16 gigabytes of 1333 Mhz DDR3 ram.
Boot drive is the stock 1 TB SATA.

Verified operational:
-USB Audio
-Guitar-to-MIDI over USB
-Editor
-Librarian

Interestingly, the USB driver as installed refers to itself as v1.0.1 not version 1.0.0 but I'm not complaining.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

Glad its working

FWIW - Official Mavericks Drivers for VG-99 were announced a week ago here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10194.0

Elantric

Click here for new Roland products released at 2014 Musikmesse  - Nothing is up yet, but in 10 days this will change.
click here March 12, 2014
http://www.roland.com/products/en/index_event.html

Elantric

A leaked photo of the next VG due soon - adopting a "Korg-like" DIY approach compared to prior Roland VGuitar products.
This claims to deliver sounds whose only limits are the imaginations ( and engineering  / R&D skills) of its owner.   

Oh well  - just a bit of fun, while we wait.

Smash

Actually......that's made me think a Steinberg Reason rewire style GUI would be a nice feature!

gumbo

I KNEW my 13-pin Jacks with tails would come in handy if I waited long enough.... 8)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Bill Ruppert

Its Roland and its 2014, the new VG will likely look like this:

Kevin M

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 07, 2014, 07:49:05 AM
Its Roland and its 2014, the new VG will likely look like this:

Too funny!

Elantric

We will know more details next week when MusikMesse starts March 12

Virtual Madness

Quote from:  Elantric on March 07, 2014, 12:30:56 AM
A leaked photo of the next VG due soon - adopting a "Korg-like" DIY approach compared to prior Roland VGuitar products. This claims to deliver sounds whose only limits are the imaginations ( and engineering  / R&D skills) of its owner. Oh well  - just a bit of fun, while we wait.

Oh Man!..I fell for that BIG TIME.
I always keep the site open to the New Posts page in my browser, and I woke up in the middle of the night and hit "refresh" only to find that image, and thought NOOOOO!...what the hell is Roland THINKING. Then I realized it was a joke!

Good one Steve!  :)
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

baatkarlo

Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.

gumtown

It is not on sale yet, not until June 2014 in some places

More on the GP-10 here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=146.0
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

hsuru4u

is the gp-10 worth getting if you have a vg-99?...

Brak(E)man

Quote from:  hsuru4u on August 12, 2014, 01:15:39 PM
is the gp-10 worth getting if you have a vg-99?...

yes
for one reason , if it breaks down on the road you can most likely pick up a new at a nearby store, that's not the case with the 99 , soundwise not really but that's only my opinion.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

That's Plan C.  Plan B is to try and get another VG-99 if this one dies.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.