ATG - Retuning "warble" artifacts?

Started by carlb, June 09, 2016, 02:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlb

One of the more difficult things for guitar processors is keeping artifacts to a minimum on patches translating standard tuning into open ones. How well does the Antares do on this?

It will be subjective from player to player. Maybe comparing to the GP-10 might be a good starting place for those who have both. I definitely get "warble" artifacts on the GP-10 for open-tuning patches. Even with dampeners placed post-nut and post-bridge, etc.

Thanks for any insights.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Elantric

djidoe

You will be happy with an ATG-1, believe me.

carlb

Wow. After watching some of the videos, I can see pairing a floor unit Antares with a Fractal AX8.

That setup by itself wouldn't capture the nylon string bossas, "big jazz box" ballads, or "synth" guitar sounds, but it would be quite the lush, accurate modeling for some unsurpassed tones. You could add the GP-10 to capture most of the oddball things, I suppose. Coordinated patches would be a hardware quandary and a chore though.

Sigh. I have to keep my rig simple and compact. Like for tomorrow night with 3 horns, bass, drums, keys, vocal, and me on a small coffee house stage. Heh! Bossas, funk, jazz ballads, sixties pop, forties torchlights, jazz rock ... GP-10 does pretty well for what I really need it for I suppose.

But someday!
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

BBach

There can be some warbliness depending on the transposition, model, and gain staging . The latest firmware includes an adjustable gate that will cut off the signal when the amplitude falls below the level where the processing starts to become unstable. This can really help. You do have to tweek the gain staging between everything in the signal chain. When you do, I think you will be pleased.

carlb

Is that the latest firmware for the GP-10 or the Antares (could possibly apply to either)?
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

BBach

The gate is part of the new ATG-1 firmware. I have no experience with the GP10

carlb

Sometimes I'm really slow on the uptake ... It just occurred to me that I could use the Antares and GP-10 together. While I'd love to use a Fractal for the amp modeling, the GP-10 is no slouch for that or effects.

So use the Antares for alternate tuning and "play in-tune" features, feed its 1/4" output to the GP-10. Take the buffered 13-pin output of the Antares to the GP-10 input.

If I can get a MIDX-10 at some point, I'll be could coordinate patches between the Antares and the GP-10.

Not too bad ...
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker