Katana 100W Head - FCB 1010 vs GA-FC

Started by DaveWoods, November 01, 2017, 10:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveWoods

With the new firmware version (2.0x) there seems to be an upgrade to the MIDI control capabilities.  However, my knowledge of all things MIDI is poor at best.

Without an interface between them, if I just plug in something like the FCB 1010 controller how much control do I have vs something like the GA-FC + 1 or 2 expression pedals?  Can I use the two FCB 1010 pedals to control volume and as a wah wah pedal for example? (assuming I have that effect selected?)

What about once the new version of FxFloorboard is out?  I'm trying to figure out what the best control solution is going forward, but I don't really understand what the MIDI foot controllers are capable of.

Thanks in advance for you patience and understand.  Folks here have done some fantastic work in making a great amp even better.

admin

Quote, if I just plug in something like the FCB 1010 controller how much control do I have
KATANA FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19048.0

Katana Manual 2 Owner Manual ( Page 6
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KATANA_e02_W.pdf

Learn MIDI Control
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0

MIDI controller Setup / Debug
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

rd2rk

I bought my Katana 100 Combo with the GA-FC controller, and I've been using an FCB1010 with UNO for years. I was able to make the FCB work with the Combo by running MIDIOX with Port Routing set up. With the Katana head, MIDIOX as MIDI HOST is not necessary.

Using the GA-FC, to change presets (channels), you first need to put the GA-FC into channel mode by pressing the effects button. If you were last in Bank A, that's where you'll be now, with access to 4 channels, A1-A4. To change to Bank B you need to press and hold the Panel/Loop button until the light blinks. It instantly changes to the Channel relative to the one you were in in Bank A. If you were in A3, you're now in B3. Hope that's what you wanted! Else you'll have to hit another button to get where you want to go.

To toggle the effects you need to press the Effects button again to change modes.

Using the FCB1010 with UNO, you can set it up so that your effects toggle switches are either on the top or bottom row (with one extra for other uses). The other row can call your channels. In FCB Bank 00 you could set it up to call Katana channels A1-A4 (with an extra pedal for other uses). To switch to Katana Channel B, you hit the FCB Bank UP pedal. Nothing happens until you press a pedal to select a specific channel. In other words, unlike the GA-FC, if you know you've got a channel change coming up in the other Katana Bank, you can "stage" it by pressing the Bank UP pedal, then hit the pedal that selects the desired channel when you're ready. MUCH better.

Yes, you can use the FCB Expression Pedals for Volume AND Wah. I use Expression Pedal A for Volume, and B for Wah. However, keep in mind that for Wah, you first need to turn the Wah ON, then switch your foot to the Expression Pedal to operate it. NOT good. For that reason (and for more variety in Wah sounds), I use a Dunlop 535Q in front of the Katana.

Also, if you go with the FCB/UNO, remember that you'll need to select a channel from the FCB before the Expression pedals will work.

Lastly, if you go with the FCB/UNO, get the ControlCenter Editor. Written by the same guy who created the UNO chip, it's worth twice what he gets for it.

DaveWoods

Thanks folks - that helps.  That's enough info to get me started and more info to get me further once I get confident. 

It will be interesting to see what's eventually possible using a midi control board, FXFloorboard and other various add-on bits of hardware/software!

kz1m9w

This is probably obvious to experts, but not to me, so I'll ask...

If you have the Katana head or Katana artist - and of course, those have a 5-pin midi port...are you able to connect the FCB1010 midi-out to it directly to do all of what is described above without needing a computer or other device in between?

I'm guessing not, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. 

vtgearhead

Quote from: kz1m9w on September 02, 2018, 04:52:37 PM
This is probably obvious to experts, but not to me, so I'll ask...

If you have the Katana head or Katana artist - and of course, those have a 5-pin midi port...are you able to connect the FCB1010 midi-out to it directly to do all of what is described above without needing a computer or other device in between?

I'm guessing not, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Yes, you can directly connect an FCB1010 and twiddle anything exposed in the documented MIDI API.  See link to documentation several messages above.

rolandvg99

FCB will not let you tap Delay tempo on its own. For that you'll need either a Primova Sound MIDX-20 or a Windows PC/tablet running FxFloorboard connected through the Katana USB port.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

kz1m9w

Thank you both for responding.  That helps.

One thing I was hoping for was a way to immediately get to any of the 8 channel presets without having to change banks first.

Bummer about the tap tempo function not being also exposed.  But I suppose one option is that I could still have the GAFC sitting right in front of the FCB1010 to get that function (and, in fact, just leave the GAFC in "effects" changing mode). That is assuming they wouldn't conflict with each other.  And I would suspect that is ok to assume based on how even with the GAFC connected, the amp's buttons (channel/effects/tap) can be used and the GAFC simply reflects the change.

vtgearhead

Quote from: kz1m9w on September 03, 2018, 12:06:37 AM
I suppose one option is that I could still have the GAFC sitting right in front of the FCB1010 to get that function (and, in fact, just leave the GAFC in "effects" changing mode). That is assuming they wouldn't conflict with each other.  And I would suspect that is ok to assume based on how even with the GAFC connected, the amp's buttons (channel/effects/tap) can be used and the GAFC simply reflects the change.

That's exactly how my setup works, but GAFC behind the Behringer.  No conflicts, per se, but the FCB1010 has no way to display state changes made through the GAFC. 

stratman57

Have done much the same with the Roland FC-200 Midi Foot Controller
I bought the Artist hoping that the FC-200 plugged straight into the Artist would work better that the GA-FC
Well it does and doesn't............
With the FC-200 connected I have access to all 8 Presets and Panel
I can control the volume
I can use the CTL pedal to turn on an effect
Now what it cant do..............
No realtime control for any effect, ie you cant add a EV-5 and control an effect parameter ie delay level
The Artist has no assign hold, every time you change to a different preset the volume goes to maximum
If you have the CTL switch on for an effect and you want to use it to turn on an effect for a different patch you have to press the CTL pedal twice
I imagine the Beringher unit would suffer the same fate

admin

A few of us use the PrimovaSound MIDX-20 , which inserts a smart layer of MIDI control for all Katana owners.

Details

Katana MIDI CONTROL
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22630.0