Katana- background noisy on anything but clean channel i.e. hiss and hum

Started by Andy C, October 03, 2017, 11:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy C

Just purchased a 100watt 112 Katana, without a lead in it is silent on each of the channels, plug in lead and or lead and guitar and the background noise and hiss increases through crunch lead and brown to the point it's so audible it can't be used in al live  situation at 12 o'clock on both volume and master, anyone had similar problem, am I doin something wrong, any advise greatly appreciated

Elantric

Quote from: Andy C on October 03, 2017, 11:38:49 AM
Just purchased a 100watt 112 Katana, without a lead in it is silent on each of the channels, plug in lead and or lead and guitar and the background noise and hiss increases through crunch lead and brown to the point it's so audible it can't be used in al live  situation at 12 o'clock on both volume and master, anyone had similar problem, am I doin something wrong, any advise greatly appreciated

What is the complete signal path feeding the Katana?
Are you connected to a computer via USB?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=367.0

Is there a Battery in your guitar?

What you describe with lots of hiss is typical when Katana is used with a cheap wireless system, or poor active pickups, or some effects in the signal path between guitar and Katana Input

My stock 2015 Gibson LP CS8 feeding the Katana  is very quiet, only hisses on the higher gain settings - which is typical of  a genuine high gain Tube amp too, BTW.
My stock Gibson SG with P90 single coil PU's is very noisy = i did the humbucking with both coils on Mod by flipping the neck PU magnet and reversing the electrical polarity   

Katana has a user configurable Noise Suppressor  - might try that     

Andy C

Thanks for the reply

Gibson  les Paul 60s heritage with P90s, only effect is a boss boost/ feedbacker, get same amount of noise just by plugging in a lead without a guitar on the other end and no effects at all...also oat like a faulty input socket

Cheers

Andy

Elantric

Yes the P90 single coil PU's Will yield more noise vs Humbuckers

Andy C

I'll rig it up with humbucker equipped guitar but to my ears was excessive, and was making the same level of noise with just a lead in the input without a guitar plugged in!

Elantric

Quote from: Andy C on October 03, 2017, 02:01:40 PM
was making the same level of noise with just a lead in the input without a guitar plugged in!

Thats normal behavior for ANY high gain guitar amp

gumtown

Depends on the immediate surrounding environment too.
You could be picking up switch mode power supply noise from other devices/light fittings/dirty power/snakes.

Look at the quality of guitar lead too.

Where ever there is gain, there is hiss. try lowering the amp gain setting.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Andy C

Bit of an update, checked by boss uk with a start my amp,is no noisier than the one they used, second observation tried a new katana 100 in spades ins with a brand new Gibson Les Paul with p90's ...same excessive background noise on all but clean...the amp doesn't like Gibson p90s! Next step is engage the noise suppressor via tone studio see if that can do anything

admin

Katana is a high gain guitar amp  - no worse noise than any comparable guitar amp with similar  high gain structure

I use guitars with pickups with Humbucking action  = much better results with Katana -   

If you must use guitars with single coils - consider hum silencing solutions
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumDebugger?gclid=CjwKCAiA3o7RBRBfEiwAZMtSCX9yNnqKoJ907WJN2jI9JktkrThavf6n_lPVBEns1BjTbafi636LHhoCWkYQAvD_BwE

riefil

I've used nothing but Humbuckers and have the same exact problem. I've used every cable I have, straight in no pedals. When I plug into my DSL40C, with or without pedal board, no issues. It's kind of frustrating. Even on Crunch channel, I can't use any boost, it just makes it worse. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

PS- Sorry for reviving an old thread

admin

Quote from: riefil on May 20, 2020, 08:52:36 AM
I've used nothing but Humbuckers and have the same exact problem. I've used every cable I have, straight in no pedals. When I plug into my DSL40C, with or without pedal board, no issues. It's kind of frustrating. Even on Crunch channel, I can't use any boost, it just makes it worse. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

PS- Sorry for reviving an old thread

Use BTS and enable the N.S. noise suppressor

riefil

I get that, but I kind of would like a more plug and play option. It just seems like an excessive amount of noise. Time to whip out the laptop I guess.

Elantric

Quote from: riefil on May 20, 2020, 11:40:24 AM
I get that, but I kind of would like a more plug and play option.

Explains why I swapped out for a Mustang GTX 100

I needed access to all the FX parameters right on the AMP and a working footcontroller

the Mustang GTX 100 with GTX-7 footswitch delivers that experience today.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MUSTANG.GT.GTX.AMP.USERS/
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20910.0

riefil

The wife may have me living in the car if I buy another piece of gear! ;D