GR-55 - Use all four GR-55 tone sources mixed via Expression Pedal position

Started by lazzo73, September 26, 2013, 01:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazzo73

Hi everyone.
I created a patch where i'm using exp pedal to switch on/off some effects and synths but i still have this kind of problem.
I got no troubles making delay and amp solo switch on (toe) and off (heel) and i could switch off both PCM synths (toe) with success BUT I CAN'T MAKE THEM BACK ON!! (heel)
My settings are (in assign)

SWITCH: ON
TARGET: PCM1 TONE SWITCH   
TARGET MIN: OFF
TARFET MAX: ON
SOURCE: EXP
SOURCE MODE: MOMENT
ACT RANGE LO: 126
ACT RANGE HI: 1

With these settings i can only switch off synths but i need to make them back on also, with pedal full up (heel).
Any ideas??
Thanks in advance

gumtown

Your Assign setting looks as though it should work and switch PCM1 synth only, if you have both PCM 1 & 2 synths switching off, i would look at the GK/Pedal menu as it has function settings for the EXP pedal, You will find it is set for "tone switch" but in the opposite EXP travel to your assign and they are fighting each others logic.
Use either the Assigns "or" the Pedal Function, the pedal function can do all your tone sources in one setting, where you would otherwise use at least 3 assigns.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

lazzo73

Of course the setting i wrote i did for both PCM. Using the EXP ON in PEDAL/GK CTL menu makes a conflict with other EXP settings in assign i'm using in this patch as you correctly told.
It's strange i can on/off something with an EXP movement but i can'd do off/on as well...

gumtown

Quote from: lazzo73 on September 27, 2013, 01:22:14 AMIt's strange i can on/off something with an EXP movement but i can'd do off/on as well...
You can so long as that both are not trying to control the same parameter in opposing operations.
The EXP ON function setting will try to take control of all 4 tone sources, to do opposite/inverse parameter changes, use only the assigns.
I often use the EXP pedal to mix two tone sources, but require a different fader curve to what the linear EXP ON/ EXP OFF/EXP functions do.
I use the assigns ACT RANGE HIGH and LOW to set the range where the volume transistion starts,
imagine the whole travel of the pedal is in 128 increments, ACT RANGE LOW at the HEEL end, and ACT(ive) RANGE HIGH at the TOE end.
The numbers can be changed to fit the start and finish range of a variable assign control (like tone level) and make it happen at a different pedal position and at a different rate.
The closer the Act Range High (ARH) and Act Range Low (ARL) are together, the quicker the event happens within a EXP Pedal postion, If ARH and ARL are very close together in value, the action will be more immediate like a switch action at certain position of the EXP pedal.
If ARH was 64 and ARL was 63, the assign would switch at mid EXP pedal position,
or for a slower event like volume of a tone from 75% pedal position to 100% pedal position,
ARH = 127 and ARL = 96.

An example to use all four GR-55 tone sources mixed in with a new tone source fading in at each 25% pedal travel.

Assign 1***********
[Assign1: On/Off] = On
[Assign1: Target] = NORMAL PICKUP Level
[Assign1: Min] = 0
[Assign1: Max] = 100
[Assign1: Source] = EXP PDL
[Assign1: Source Mode ] = Moment
[Assign1: Range Low] = 0
[Assign1: Range High] = 31

Assign 2***********
[Assign2: On/Off] = On
[Assign2: Target] = Modeling Tone Level
[Assign2: Min] = 0
[Assign2: Max] = 100
[Assign2: Source] = EXP PDL
[Assign2: Source Mode ] = Moment
[Assign2: Range Low] = 32
[Assign2: Range High] = 63

Assign 3***********
[Assign3: On/Off] = On
[Assign3: Target] = PCM1 Tone Level
[Assign3: Min] = 0
[Assign3: Max] = 100
[Assign3: Source] = EXP PDL
[Assign3: Source Mode ] = Moment
[Assign3: Range Low] = 64
[Assign3: Range High] = 95

Assign 4***********
[Assign4: On/Off] = On
[Assign4: Target] = PCM2 Tone Level
[Assign4: Min] = 0
[Assign4: Max] = 100
[Assign4: Source] = EXP PDL
[Assign4: Source Mode ] = Moment
[Assign4: Range Low] = 96
[Assign4: Range High] = 127

And EXP Pedal function (EXP ON and EXP OFF) is set to something other than Tone Switch or CrossFade
(HINT: the crossfade Pedal function will let you do tone mixes, either in an accending or decending action for each tone in a linear EXP Pedal action from Toe to Heel - but the Assigns let you customise the mix gradient).

From my recollection, the Assigns and pedal functions work in a specific order, where if a control is duplicated, it is the last instruction which wins the fight.
the order first to last are.....
Assigns 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Pedal function (patch), Pedal function (system).

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BackDAWman

That is a brilliant piece of information, Gumtown! That has opened a lot of possibilities for my patches as I try to get as much out of each patch as I can wring out of it. One patch per song is the ideal!

Thank you!!

Toby Krebs

One patch per song rules and of course Gumtown Rules Too!!!

RRhodes

Can this be modified to switch between rather than add the 4 available sounds?

thx
Gr-55 with GK 3 on Ibanez Artcore
JBL Pro series 4341 studio monitors
Behringer B112D's for live stuff

Elantric

Sure

read
GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

*GR-55 Control Assignments
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10677.0

Guitarplayer_10's  GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patch step by step
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7267.msg50612#msg50612

* GR-55 Control Switch - More than 1 function?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9863.msg70789#msg70789

* GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patches (solves the GR-55 long Patch change delay (with mute) issue)
Jim Williams Multiple Assignment Pathes.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5647.msg38806#msg38806
Learn multi-assignments by following all steps outlined here - then edit to suit YOUR needs.

gumtown

*Edited:
It would take many assigns, you would need assigns per tone, think of the EXP pedal movement range in numbers from 1 to 128, and divide the range into 4 sections for the 4 tones.
That would be a range of 32 for each tone, the assign source mode would be 'toggle' instead of 'moment' for hard switching.
Assuming the range would cover
1: normal pickup - the range would be 1 to 31
2: modelled tone - the range would be 32 to 63
3: PCM1 tone - the range would be 64 to 95
4: PCM2 tone - the range would be 96 to 128

How do you want to tones to switch, hard or fade mix?

RRhodes

I've been working on this for a bit.....  If I could use an assign to turn on and shut off the normal pickup, I would have it, but at the moment I am struggling with 'normal pickup level, with no success

My first potential setup is using an E Bass in the modeler, going thru no amp, trying to use normal pu thru an amp, then a sax using both pcm's and finally switching the pcm's to a brass section at the toe end of pedal travel.

Everything except for the normal pu is working correctly

Still plugging away!!

thanks again guys...I hope to get it

Looking for a hard switch, unless I have options?

I got things to work by switching models, from bass to guitar and using amp type switch enable/disable so that bass sound is clean, but still no luck with normal pu's

I know that I am missing the boat somewhere, but putting in the time is a good learning experience

gumtown

Something like this should do it

Assign 1***********
[Assign1: On/Off] = On
[Assign1: Target] = NORMAL PICKUP Level
[Assign1: Min] = 100
[Assign1: Max] = 0
[Assign1: Source] = EXP PDL
[Assign1: Source Mode ] = Moment
[Assign1: Range Low] = 0
[Assign1: Range High] = 12

this will give full volume at the heel end of the EXP pedal, and adjust the range High setting to the position you want 0 volume.

Check no other conflicts exist for normal PU level, such as Pedal/GK function settings

RRhodes

I have it working, thank you so much, except I am bringing in the normal pu's at around 31 on the exp pedal, but I had to use gain change to shut it off?? 2 assignments for normal pu level don't seem to work, even tho the pedal range affected is NOT the same,

weird?   or am I just OTL

Edit/Update

Still weird, but I now have 5 sounds!!

From heel to toe

1) P Bass no amp
2) J Bass no amp
3) Normal pu's thru big lead amp
4) Tenor Sax using both pcm's
5) Brass section using both pcm's

gumtown

you have one assign switching between two modelling tone types,
and one assign each PCM tone switching between two tone types.?

RRhodes

Quote from: gumtown on October 04, 2014, 12:54:00 PM
you have one assign switching between two modelling tone types,
and one assign each PCM tone switching between two tone types.?

Yes, actually 2 assigns switching each of the 2 pcm's

Fusion

Man, this website, helpful, intelligent, accurate, a virtual extended owner's manual. Marvelous stuff. I just got into changing PCM tones and this just expanded my horizons on more interesting options. Amazing guys!!
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

Fusion

Assigning multiple "tone number" changes in a patch have become second nature for me lately. Just wanted to remind or mention you can add a whole bunch of param modifiers on the assigns as well. As in, I find Wind pretty loud so when I switch to another PCM tone I will also increase the output level from the lower setting I had for the Wind or another sound effect like Rain. You can also add param modifiers to the tone change to slightly alter the settings for the new tone sound, maybe you want to shift the octave pitch, or perhaps alter another PCM setting for the new tone.  Just very cool options. I like to combine various combinations of sound effects like a rain storm, even a passing train or a Siren and hold that while changing other tones.
It is nice if you hold something on hold type 2 nothing else will play so if you switch the tone number while on hold with the 1st one, it mutes the sound for a nice break, release the hold at the new one sounds.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

Elantric

Quote from:  philjynx on June 01, 2017, 10:52:14 AM
Blimey, I didn't realise you could change PCM tones on an assign - I need to rethink my approach to patches entirely now. This opens up a ton of potential.

More tips here

GR-55 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137.msg27121#msg27121