GR-55 Setups & Tone Configs that affect tracking

Started by shawnb, September 13, 2012, 11:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fusion

Well, despite I like having my bank switch up/dwn on GK1 & GK2, sometimes if you need another switch assign toggle you have to use them for that. That gives you 4 switches for assign which is pretty good not to mention you can multiple stack toggles on the same switch (be careful of conflicts).

Cool discovery this time, is concerning the Hold function. I tend to often switch tone number on the PCMs via assign and found that if you do a Hold 2 on a tone and then switch that tone number to something different, the previous tone will stop sounding while on hold, when you release the hold toggle your new tone number change will sound and you can then hold that one if desired and repeat the same. Adds a nice mute capability in addition to the hold function. Remember the hold types as listed above, very handy for locking a tone sound with no further sound or having further notes sound.

Artful use of tone number assign changes, and hold function can make for some very amazing sound scapes in a patch.
i often use combinations of Siren, Wind, Thunder, Rain, Helicopter, and Train to create some wicked atmospheric environments to play COSM and/or my std guitar over. I made some very cool COSM L4 and ES335 patches with Rain and Thunder which gives one the feeling they are in a small Jazz coffee shop or club while it is raining outside. Switching one of those to a Brush Drum kit is very nice also I love the Reverse Cymbal for Jazz patches. God what a unit the 55, just keeps getting beter.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

alexmcginness

A Livid Guitar Wing might be the extra controller youre looking for.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Fusion

In so far as what, more switches to assign for tone changes? I do not use any DAW software so not really sure how this thing works or how I can make use of it.
Wireless is nice but transmit MIDI requires receiving the signal and I have nothing that is able to do that.

Elantric

QuoteWell, despite I like having my bank switch up/dwn on GK1 & GK2, sometimes if you need another switch assign toggle you have to use them for that. That gives you 4 switches for assign which is pretty good not to mention you can multiple stack toggles on the same switch (be careful of conflicts).

The GR-55 has Eight User Control Assignments - each can be mapped to respond to eight separate external MIDI CC# messages transmitted by third party gear

Any third party MIDI Controller that transmits MIDI CC# messages can expand your GR-55 Control beyond the one CTL pedal, Expression pedal and the two switches on the GK-3

Many Livid Guitar Wing users employ a USB Host to MIDI conversion box to provide the 5pin MIDI control path to the GR-55

Read more about  Livid Guitar Wing and how to integrate it to control  your VG/GR here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10406.msg99067#new

Fusion

Cool. I could not grasp how it worked looking at the website. So many times they seem to talk about this stuff as if everyone already knows how it all works. They were talking about DAW and all this PC/Mac stuff that I do not have, not a mention of using for the synth, while I get that is a small user group.
Premier Guitar rated the device quite highly, for sure worth looking into. I am not versed in all things MIDI, that is all a new area for me and I do not want to get too complex as I tend to lose myself in all the tech instead of the music.
Have to read up on it as I do not know how it sends a wireless MIDI command to the synth. If it requires all sorts of software DAW I do not have anything like that. Not sure when I develop my recording side of things I want to use a PC thing. Seems like that multi track Tascam made life easier and I like a physical fader thing over virtual. Not so into all the Pro Tools and what not, interface gear seems like so much money that I cannot justify as i am not going to produce a viable recording product for profit.

HCarlH

Quote from:  Fusion on January 19, 2015, 07:07:12 AMDespite the various multiple switch assign toggles, you can actually change the tone number on each PCM in the same patch.

I'm not aware of this. How do you do that?
My understanding is you can only change between the already assigned PCM tones and/or the guitars.
GR-55 (or) Fishman TP + Kemper Profiling Rack -->> 
QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/FTP pickup),  Stratocaster (w/FTP pickup)

Telecaster, Charvel SoCal ProMod, Gibson Les Paul, PV Wolfgang,

concordal

Quote from:  hcarlh on February 01, 2015, 03:57:31 PM
My understanding is you can only change between the already assigned PCM tones and/or the guitars.

Yes you can change the tone number of a PCM within a given patch.   Here is a snapshot from Floorboard showing how to set up your ASSIGN to change PCM1 from Piano to Organ using the CTL Pedal.

Example patch attached.  Hope this is helpful.

Elantric

Also read GR-55 Control Assignments thread here:

*GR-55 Control Assignments
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10677.0

and

* GR-55 Control Switch - More than 1 function?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9863.msg70789#msg70789

* GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patches (solves the GR-55 long Patch change delay (with mute) issue)
and
Jim Williams Multiple Assignment Patches.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5647.msg38806#msg38806
Learn multi-assignments by following all steps outlined here - then edit to suit YOUR needs.

Guitarplayer_10's  GR-55 Ultimate Multi Control patch step by step
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7267.msg50612#msg50612

Fusion

You can also change all sorts of tone parms via the assign switches in case you switch tone numbers and need to tweak something a little upon changing to a different tone. Very cool features on the 55, always something I am running across that you sometimes see in the manual bit does not click to a usefulness at the time.

Is there any notion Roland is ever planning a software update or are they done w the 55?

Elantric

QuoteIs there any notion Roland is ever planning a software update or are they done w the 55?

Roland informed me at 2014 NAMM show that the GR-55 will not be updated  - Firmware 1.50 is the final version.

HCarlH

Wow......thanks guys! This is really useful to me.   :)
All this time I never figured it out.
GR-55 (or) Fishman TP + Kemper Profiling Rack -->> 
QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/FTP pickup),  Stratocaster (w/FTP pickup)

Telecaster, Charvel SoCal ProMod, Gibson Les Paul, PV Wolfgang,

gumtown

One cool trick to try is to use one Assign on PCM1 tone select, as shown in the previous picture, but use "Wave Pedal" to slowly ramp up and down through the PCM tones.
Then do the same for PCM2, but in the opposite direction.

Amusement for a little while..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Fusion

I wish I understood the wave pedal function better, have to experiment with it. Really not clear on what it does or how to use it.
Shame Roland has given up on software updates, maybe it is as good as it gets or are we about to be obsoleted with a new synth model?

I love my 55, just a hoot to play. I was running everything through the paces last night and I am so glad I kept my std guitar rig intact. I love the synth but there is something to be said for just wailing on the old pedalboard. I would not trade my pedals for anything.
Really got a chance to stretch out on my new Thomastik-Infeld RP strings some pro quality there. Best strings I have ever used, not cheap but worth it.

supernicd

Just think of the WAVE pedal like an LFO that you can assign to just about any knob or other parameter.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

QuoteI wish I understood the wave pedal function better, have to experiment with it. Really not clear on what it does or how to use it.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12782.msg92874#msg92874

If you own a VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, GR-55 - Read the 1996 Boss GT-5 Owners manual 
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/GT-5_OM.pdf

As in most discipline's the earliest examples of the Roland Documentation goes into far more details on specific Roland features

Fusion

Yeah, I have seen that but just have not tried the various waves on different effects to see what it does or how musically useful it is. So many variables on this puppy about the time I think I am done editing and tweaking patches along comes another idea.
So much more to the 55 once you get in there. Your amazing editing software makes it possible, as without it, doing the unit screen editing just does not lend itself to really understanding or actually seeing the graphic display and how everything lays out. I probably would not have the unit without the floorboard, It is just that good and important.
Amazing work gummy!

shawnb

Wave would be a lot more useful if "Note" we're a valid trigger.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

supernicd

Quote from:  shawnb on February 06, 2015, 05:09:52 AM
Wave would be a lot more useful if "Note" we're a valid trigger.

Couldn't agree more, I have always thought that would be a sweet INT PEDAL trigger.

A square/pulse wave shape with adjustable duty cycle for the WAVE PEDAL would be really nice too for more rhythmic type stuff.

On the GR-55, I often find that the things you'd want to assign an LFO to control already have a dedicated one built into the synth/effect, and so assigning WAVE pedal as a source is kind of a rarity for me.  That's not to say that you couldn't find some clever applications for it.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

shawnb

Quote from:  SuperNiCd on February 06, 2015, 06:40:56 AM
Couldn't agree more, I have always thought that would be a sweet INT PEDAL trigger.

I ended up writing my own.  I've written a couple of CC generators, with a 'restart on note' setting.  One in PureData and one in Usine Hollyhock (my VST host that lets you do development within it...)  You can download either if you like.

PureData here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10331.msg75335#msg75335

Hollyhock here:
http://www.sensomusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4522

Screenshot of the Hollyhock CC generator:
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

supernicd

Quote from:  shawnb on February 07, 2015, 10:16:48 AM
I ended up writing my own.  I've written a couple of CC generators, with a 'restart on note' setting.  One in PureData and one in Usine Hollyhock (my VST host that lets you do development within it...)  You can download either if you like.

I have seen you post about Hollyhock a few times.  Have visited the website, and it looks very cool.  It is one of those things that I'm almost scared to open the lid and peer inside for fear that I might never emerge from it.  ;)  One of these days here though, I just might have to.

What does the step shape do in this CC generator?  Do you define your own steps?  And I guess it mixes or sums the outputs of whichever of the 4 is enabled?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

shawnb

"Step" is just a simple up & down, a square wave. 

The 4 are played sequentially, & generate CCs along the waveform depicted in the picture.   The most interesting control is the unlabeled one immediately to the left of the "Repeat on Note".   These sliders define the upper & lower range of the CC value.  Very helpful when using the CCs on filters/wahs, as the extremes do not sound good.  You can make it a real subtle effect, curiously shifting about...

supernicd

Have a sound clip of this in action, by chance?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Fusion

Was this PCM - TVF or TVA or both on the -50attack and -15release? I've been trying it on the TVA and it does seem to help. Question is, is this relative to all voices or just certain ones? What is the effect on the nuance? So many controls on the PCM hard to grasp what everything might do to what and how it relates to various voices.
Seems I will never get a complete set of patches done, about the time I get about 30 banks done something like this pops up and its a retweak fest,
I could probably spend weeks noodling with all the settings just on one patch but then another voice number and what to do with that one.
Complex bugger this GR, I wonder if anyone knows it so well they can play a PCM voice and just go right to a control to tweak it out.
I can see why many just like to wail on the good ol guitar just so much easier and no thinking. i have a theory synth users do not drink much.

Fusion

Adding to my self discovery and new findings, I came across a way to help the false triggering on string voices.
Fundamental points:
Adjust the Velocity and Nuance params as recommended in the paper here.
Try out the best sounding string voices and pads for what fits your scheme.
Adjust the ATTACK on the AVP param down a little which seems to help the false triggering, at times you might want a little more or less Release param.
Seems to help.

Elantric

Suggest read more from the 1st post here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6972.0