GR-55 as a Guitar To MIDI Controller

Started by brooster, April 29, 2011, 07:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sine_3000

Wow, this topic has no responses for over three years?!  I guess not many people are trying to use their GR-55 as a PC MIDI controller?  I find that hard to believe.  I would think this topic, or one just like it, would be a sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

Anyway, I do have a question.  My experience is with the GR-20, which had a "Local Off" setting, which routed MIDI messages (through an actual MIDI cable, out from the GR-20 and into a MIDI-capable sound card).

When this setting was on, the GR-20 did not send any of its own internal PCM sounds out.  So, it was just pure MIDI control, from the GK3 pickup, to your VST.

My questions are kind of multiple, then. 

1) Does the GR-55 have an equivalent setting?  i.e., turning off internal PCM sounds, and only sending MIDI messages?

2) Do I need to use a MIDI cable out from the GR-55 into my MIDI-capable soundcard?  Or, will MIDI data be sent over USB into a VST/DAW?

I have already seen the GR-55 as a selectable AUDIO device in my DAW (Reaper, for now).  But there is no similar choice to use the GR-55 as a MIDI-in source.

I would love to be able to ditch the MIDI cable entirely, and have MIDI data sent to PC via USB.  I hope this is possible. 

Thanks.

gumtown

1) the GR-55 has a volume which you can turn down to silence the GR-55 tones.
Or you can switch 'off' the two PCM synth tones from the tone menu.

2) the USB does carry midi, it is seen as a midi device labelled as "GR-55".
You should see 'GR-55 midi' and 'GR-55 Audio' as two different devices.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sine_3000

Thanks for the quick reply, gumtown.

Yes, I see the GR-55 as a MIDI in/out now, it's odd but when the GR-55 is off, the audio device is still visible, but the MIDI device disappears.  Turning back on the GR-55 made it available again, though.

And yes, such a simple way to deal with PCM out data!  Turn offf the PCM sends!  I'd gotten so used to the GR-20's way of doing it, I didn't even think of that simple solution!

I'm fairly excited to see how the latency is with the MIDI over USB, and ditch the MIDI cables.  Also that GTAK software (mentioned above) to integrate a guitar MIDI device with Kontakt is pretty much what I have been dreaming of.

Elantric

QuoteWow, this topic has no responses for over three years?!  I guess not many people are trying to use their GR-55 as a PC MIDI controller?

Just because a thread has no replies for a while  does not mean its not being read by dozens of new users weekly.

Most GR-55 users just read this thread, apply info they learn about how to use GR-55 as a Guitar To MIDI Controller, and go make music  - without the urge to post a reply

How to Navigate VGuitarforums
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4973.0

Just because a thread has "no response" for three years does not imply this exact thread is not read by many folks on a weekly basis.

Particularly when this thread is in one of the "Top Things To Know" areas of the Forum 

Even non member "Guests" stumble in here and read this thread after a Google Search on "GR-55 Guitar to MIDI"

There is pro-active organization of placing important threads with Reference Materials to gain knowledge on a specific subject in the
"Top Things to Know " areas here for popular processors  - to ease finding important information.

Its suggested you read the threads in this area from page one, as most questions have already been answered.

The GR-55 FAQ thread is a must read
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137.0

As this is the  master source  for GR-55 knowledge with URL links to bulk of the important threads in this area of the forum.

rezq

Hi im not to tech savvy but im trying to connect my guitar via gr-55 to my keyboard. I plugged the midi cord into both. I can hear the piano
when I play the guitar but if I change effects on the keyboard it still just plays the same piano. This is the same for any effect I try on the keyboard.

Elantric

Change patches on the GR-55, and the keyboard should also change to a new patch.

Learn more about GR-55 Guitar to MIDI Here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3787.0

rezq

can u tell me specifically where to look on this link?

Elantric

Start at 1st post
Watch the video tutorial
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3787.0

QuoteI plugged the midi cord into both [GR-55 and Keyboard] I can hear the piano
Connect GR-55 MIDI OUT to MIDI IN on your keyboard.
Read Keyboard manual to learn how to enable MIDI Reception

Read MIDI Tutorials here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=7.0

DreamTheory

Don't forget freeware soft synths. You might think 900 PCM tones is enough, but every synth has its own things it can do, and you might begin to wonder how you could have ever though that a mere 900 choices was enough.

Zebralette!
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Sec-Def

Quote from: gumtown on January 17, 2012, 01:19:24 AM

On a side note: I have found the USB midi and the 5 pin midi ports work independantly and can both co-exist at the same time, making bulk patch backups with two instances of GR-55FlooBoard running, one on the Gr-55 USB and the other on the 5 pin ports.
So I will eat my words on the "one port only in use" statements i have made in the past.
interesting discovery indeed.
don't they kinda have too?
the gr55 is an audio interface in it's own right, if when-ever you plugged it to a usb port you'd lose
the midi port, you'd be having a real hard time recording your performance.
assuming you're not using ANOTHER ad converter.
and that reeeaaaal expensive midi pedal Roland has, would have that much fewer clientèle.

Elantric

FWIW - In regards to Audio on Windows OS, due to the Roland ASIO Driver, you are stuck with one device into one Audio app at any given time.

Sec-Def

true, but you can work around that with asio4all, or rewire.