Show Me Your Compact But Kick-Ass Mobile V-Guitar Setup

Started by Rhcole, March 15, 2012, 07:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

...and I have to begin with an apology that my own setup won't be posted until Eventide repairs my Space and sends it back!

I have a chance for a few mobile gigs. Ugh, I hate hauling rack-mounted cases and lots of FX around with cables going everywhere. So, I have compacted my setup down, down, down for the road. But, it is still pretty awesome.

What do you use? Simpler is better here. Show us!

musicman65

I've posted in other threads but since you asked...

My rig is as compact as it can be. It's a custom road case that splits into FC300 and integrated mic stand in one half and VG99/Synth Rack/VoiceBox in the other. All pre-wired for quick setup.  I run PA direct.

http://www.cruzerrocks.com/VG99/VG99_Case.htm

bd

ProgMystic

Bravo musicman65. A class looking rig  :)

Do you run into any problems with the VG99 on the floor? Spillage, trip stumble etc.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Jay

Mrchevy

I used an old Fender type guitar case for this. Nice engineering musicman65
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

aliensporebomb

Revision A was this setup:

Jackson Soloist guitar, VG-99, FC-300, Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai (Looper), Behrenger 8-channel mixer, out to the house, Altec ACS33 personal monitoring.

It worked great but later bought a very specific strat guitar for GK use since the red Soloist was part of a limited edition and I wanted to keep that one at home for the most part.

Revision B is this setup:

Basically:  Guitar with GK, VG-99, Behrenger mini-mixer, EHX SMMw/H (Looper) FC-300 (sometimes).  Then out to house or using my "mini-monitoring system" (Altec Lansing ACS33 with powered sub).

All of it goes into a large trunk with wheels.  The VG-99 has an aluminum case I can put it in or a heavy cloth bag with another bag inside it with pockets for the AC adapter and GK cable.

Then I use a two wheeled dolly to roll the trunk, cased guitar and stool (folded up) and I'm good.  Setup and teardown time: well under ten minutes - closer to 5.

The ACS33 was the biggest surprise in all of this.  I'd bought two sets of those years ago for powered speakers for a computer setup and the power and sound quality is astounding.  Everyone who sees me
live is amazed by it as it's very hifi-quality and the sub will fill a large room without issue. 

The Lowertown Art Crawl in St. Paul is a three story loft setting with three open floors and I can be heard
throughout the entire building when that's going on.  It's amazing the acoustics in that place.

I have a  backup of these speakers if need be.  Replacing those would probably be prohibitively expensive as I've never encountered anything like that in terms of bang for buck.  I've though about running two sets at once just to see what it would be like. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

musicman65

ProgMystic,

Thanks. No problems in several years of gigging weekly. I cut a piece of clear vinyl as a screen protector but that all. It sits slightly above the beer line...lol. Bud Light bottles sit all around it on the floor.

My design criteria was quick setup since I move my gear 4-5 times a week. So far, so good...just wish it weighed less. If I do it again, I'm going carbon fiber. It'll be the world's first 2500 dollar road case. (Pipe dream)

bd

ProgMystic

musicman65 damn I just clicked a tag labeled "smite" by accident. Don't know what it is but I sure didn't mean anything untoward. :'(
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

musicman65

I'VE BEEN SMITED. Oh well, its not the first time. No problem. Lol!

bd

bbob

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 16, 2012, 06:13:04 AM
The ACS33 was the biggest surprise in all of this.  I'd bought two sets of those years ago for powered speakers for a computer setup and the power and sound quality is astounding.  Everyone who sees me
live is amazed by it as it's very hifi-quality and the sub will fill a large room without issue. 

Aliensporebomb,

Interesting to read about your ACS33.

In the late 80's I bought a ACS44 that I still have.  Never tried to use it as a personal monitor.  Will give a try.

Thanks.

Bob

alexmcginness

Quote from: musicman65 on March 15, 2012, 11:06:13 PM
I've posted in other threads but since you asked...

My rig is as compact as it can be. It's a custom road case that splits into FC300 and integrated mic stand in one half and VG99/Synth Rack/VoiceBox in the other. All pre-wired for quick setup.  I run PA direct.

http://www.cruzerrocks.com/VG99/VG99_Case.htm

bd

Youre a braver man that I am. The last thing I would ever do is put a VG-99 on the floor. I have an old ME-30 and it still "cracks" when I step on the pedals because a guy accidentally dumped a tray of 9 margaritas on top of it. It still works mind you, but it will never be the same.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.