iPad Air performance review with Music Apps

Started by Elantric, November 10, 2013, 10:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.musicappblog.com/ipad-air-performance

iPad Air performance test – first pass testing for music apps
November 7, 2013 by John Walden

iPad Air performance test – first pass testing for music appsWhile I'd missed the 4th gen. iPad upgrade, as I commented last week, I did decide to take the plunge with the iPad Air. While I'll reserve a more comprehensive judgement on the performance improvements between the two units for another time, as my new iPad was delivered yesterday, I thought readers might be interested in some first impressions and, in particular, some rough and ready initial performance comparisons.
As light as.....

Before getting into some usage stats, it is worth noting that the iPad Air really does live up to its name. In the hand, the new iPad is very noticeably lighter than the previous incarnations. I'm not sure how much impact that will really have in music use (other than making it a little less of a burden to carry around) as, most of the time, I expect your iPad will be on a flat surface or your knee while you need both hands free to create your music, but for other tasks (holding while reading a book in the iBooks or Kindle app, for example), I'm sure it will be more comfortable.

iPad Air performance test – first pass testing for music apps
Spot the difference. The iPad Air is noticeably lighter and smaller than the previous generations.
The other very noticeable physical difference is the size. While the screen remains the same dimensions, the narrower surrounds mean the device is noticeably smaller. Having been familiar with the dimensions of the 'old style' iPad format for so long, the Air does take a little getting used to in the hand. Somehow, it doesn't quite feel like you are holding an iPad...  although I suspect that feeling will soon pass and, when I do return to my iPad 3rd gen., it will start to feel heavy and large by comparison.
Performance tests

I'm not laying any claim to having done any formal benchmarking at this stage and, like most iOS musicians, I'm actually really more interested in the practical experience of running my 'go to' music apps rather than some theoretical measures of the overall performance of the different iPad generations. Anyway, for what it's worth, here are a few observations based upon a few hours of experimentation.
All the tests below were done using an iPad 3rd gen. and the iPad Air. Differences between the Air and a 4th gen. iPad are obviously likely to be less than those noted here.
Cubasis tests

ipad 3 vs air cubasis on 3 300x225 iPad Air performance test – first pass testing for music apps
Running a basic test in Cubasis – here shown on the iPad 3rd gen.
Running Cubasis, with no other apps sitting in the background, and using Steinberg's 'Lucky Seven' example project for playback, the 3rd gen. model showed the Cubasis CPU meter to be sitting between 30-40% for the majority of the time but with the occasional spike to about 50%. In contrast, the Air sat at around 15% with the occasional spike to the low 20% region. While I've no great faith in the absolute accuracy of the Cubasis CPU meter, it does suggest that the Air is offering about twice the performance of the 3rd gen. model in this basic 'real-world' kind of test.
I then added in an instance of Thor playing back a MIDI track within Cubasis on top of the existing audio/MIDI tracks in the Lucky Seven project. On the 3rd gen. iPad the CPU then averaged around the 50% mark with the occasional spike to about 60%. In contrast, the Air averaged about 20%. Adding in an instance of Nave and a further MIDI track triggering that live from Cubasis (so I now had 'Lucky Seven', Thor and Nave all working together), the CPU loads averaged 60% and 25%, again with occasional spikes.
I then placed all of the above within Audiobus with a 256 frame buffer setting – Thor and Nave within the Input slot and Cubasis within the Output slot – to see what might happen. On the 3rd gen. model, the CPU then averaged around the 70% level and, while it never actually reached 100%, when it did spike I did hear the occasional audio glitch. In contrast, on the Air, the CPU averaged around the 30% mark and audio playback was smooth.
ipad air testing audiobus 300x225 iPad Air performance test – first pass testing for music apps
Audiobus adds a bit of a CPU overhead but the iPad Air soaked this up pretty well.
Finally, having pushed my 3rd gen. iPad to its limit, I tried to see how much further I could go with the Air. I removed Audiobus, retained Thor and Nave and then added a MIDI track to send data to an instance of iSEM. The CPU meter in Cubasis averaged around 30%. I then added a further MIDI track to feed an instance of Arctic ProSynth and reached a CPU reading of about 35% and no sign of audio glitching.
This final result I found quite remarkable; a Cubasis project with several audio tracks/effects and some internal virtual instruments running plus four fairly mighty iOS synths – Thor, Nave, iSEM and Arctic ProSynth – all being triggered via MIDI tracks at the same time from Cubasis and the CPU meter in Cubasis didn't crack the 50% mark. While these figures are, of course, fairly subjective and would vary depending upon the numbers of notes being triggered by the various synths and the complexity of the patches, it was still a pretty impressive spectacle. No audio glitching and the system remained responsive during playback.
Auria

auria air testing 1 300x225 iPad Air performance test – first pass testing for music apps
Auria with The Approach project running and a couple of additional IAA effects on an iPad 3
auria air testing 3 300x225 iPad Air performance test – first pass testing for music apps
And the same configuration running on the iPad Air.
Auria also includes a CPU meter display and, in addition, has a disk activity meter. Again with no other apps sitting in the background – and playing back the example project called The Approach – I was able to compare the CPU readings of the two iPads. On the 3rd gen. model, the CPU settled at just over 50% while the disk meter varied between about 6 and 11% through different parts of the project. On the Air, the same figures were 17% and 1-3% respectively.
I then added an instance of AUFX:Space as an IAA effect to the lead vocal track using the same effect preset on both setups. The 3rd gen. iPad then showed a CPU load around 62% in Auria (an increase of about 10%) while the Air gave a value of around 21% (an increase of only 4%). Adding a further instance of AUFX:Dub changed these figures to around 70% for the 3rd gen. iPad and around 23% for the Air.
In summary

These are not, of course, a set of comprehensive or rigorous performance tests but, in terms of day-to-day usage for iOS music making, they clearly show a significant difference between my 3rd gen. iPad and the new Air. I suspect the differences between the 4th gen. model and the Air will be less obvious but still very welcome.
My brief experience with Cubasis and running multiple external synths was, however, very encouraging in terms of my own personal workflow. With this level of performance, it would be perfectly possible to put together a pretty hefty audio+MIDI project without having to go through the process of regularly freezing and unfreezing tracks as you build the project up. Yes, I expect you will still get to that stage eventually, but at least it takes a little while longer to get there. That's got to be good for the workflow.
When I've spent a little more time working with the new Air I'll perhaps follow up on this post with some more considered thoughts. At this point though, if you currently work with a 3rd gen. or earlier model, my brief ad-hoc testing suggests you will see a significant hike in performance with the new Air for music production tasks. However, in the meantime, if anyone has some similar comparisons between a 4th gen. iPad model and the new Air and is happy to post them here for others to see, then let me know.

http://www.musicappblog.com/ios-for-music/

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Ringleader

Elantric - did/are you getting one? I'm still on the fence due to the 1GB ram thing. Thing is, I don't think I want to wait another year. The mini 2 has my attention.

whippinpost91850

Sounds impressive can't wait to try when mine arrives

Elantric

Rumor is strong iPad Air will go on sale on "Black Friday Nov 29, 2013) on Apple Store or their resellers ( Best Buy / Target / Walmart) all are rumored to be offering a minor discount - perhaps only $30 savings  - but i might just order a 128GB iPad Air (full size)  next week.
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/11/apple-black-friday-deals-ipad-air-ipad-mini-iphone-5s-target/
I know "tech wise" - a few review sites that compare raw specs are trying to say a 2014 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 has better specs ( 3GB Ram, Higher Res Screen, etc)than iPad Air,
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edition-White/dp/B00F3SOJ88/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_3_KN8Z?ie=UTF8&refRID=11B7APZCG9M2H5YTDPY6
but they apparently are not aware of the substantial ecosystem on Apple IOS for Music Creation apps. If you are serious about Music content creation, iPad is still the only Tablet worth considering at this time.

The old adage still holds true.
* Make a list of the actual applications you want to use, and buy the computer that runs them best.
For my needs - thats NOT an an Android.

BTW - In late 2014 when the rumored 5"screen iPhone 6 is due, I'll probably retire my Galaxy Note2 phone and go back to iPhone. on Android I find I have 6 ways to do anything, that sorta work - but not as easy or reliable as my old iPhone. Maybe Ive finally gotten used to iTunes for file transfer. 

Elantric

Compare iPad Air to iPad Mini
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/12/retina-ipad-mini-has-1-3-ghz-a7-processor-with-5x-better-performance-than-original-mini/

Apple's new Retina iPad mini includes the same 64-bit A7 chip used in the iPad Air and the iPhone 5s, which offers significantly better performance than the A5 chip found in the original iPad mini.

According to new Geekbench 3 benchmarks, the Retina iPad mini is running at 1.3Ghz, much like the iPhone 5s. The iPad Air, however, clocks in at 1.4Ghz, giving it a slight performance edge over both the iPhone 5s and the new mini.

The Retina iPad mini scored a 1390 on the single-core test and a 2512 on the multi-core test, which was similar to the iPhone 5s score of 1399/2523, and lower than the iPad Air at 1466/2856. Compared to the 261/493 score of the original mini, the Retina iPad mini marks an incredible boost in performance speeds.

It is unclear why the mini is clocked at 1.3Ghz instead of 1.4Ghz like the iPad Air, but in terms of real world usage, users are unlikely to notice the small speed differences. It is possible that Apple chose the lower clock speed in the iPad mini to improve overall battery life or to reduce heat within the smaller chassis.

Apple's Retina iPad mini went on sale last night at midnight and is currently still available from the Apple Online Store and in Apple retail locations via Personal Pickup.

===
Full Size iPad Air Retina
Built-in 32.4-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Charging via 12W power adapter or USB to computer system

Ipad Mini Retina
Built-in 23.8-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Charging via 10W power adapter or USB to computer system
===

I took delivery of an Ipad Air 128GB 3G today - it flies thru tasks  that stall and halt my old ipad2 cold.

Been playing my bigsby JTV-59 into Sonuus I2M + Apple Lighting USB  Camera adapter as audio interface and Skullcandy Titan II travel buds for headphones with the iPad Air

Positive Grid Bias is really amazing -  I dare to say its a spectacular time to be a guitarist. Bias has very good Clarity, The Amps sound and react very close to the real thing, best Tube Amp tone toolbox on IOS today (Nov 2013) with many controls to satisfy those who crave getting inside, its all emulations of circuits and a  Great amp in the room simulator. I was obtaining great tone in seconds  reminiscent of Ritchie Blackmore playing opening to 'Lazy' off the  Deep Purple Machine Head record. sounds great to my ears  Worth the $19.99, and marries into JamUp Pro XT very well. Very Happy.

review with crucial MIDi setup info for using IK BlueBoard with JamUp Pro
http://www.musicappblog.com/irig-blueboard-review/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bias-amps!/id711314889?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamup-pro-xt-multi-effects/id454702113?mt=8

Elantric

Update:

I grabbed one of these when it was a "Lightning Deal" for $60. i found the keyboard in my New Trent Airbender iPad Air Case / Keyboard to be too sloppy with bad keys.

Kensington KeyFolio Pro Plus with Backlit Bluetooth Keyboard and Google Drive Offer for iPad Air (iPad 5) (K97110US)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EMHVVLO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9882.msg72191;topicseen#msg72191

I ordered one of these for my  iPad Air
New Trent Airbender 2.0 - New iPad Air Wireless Bluetooth Clamshell iPad Air Keyboard Case. Compatible: iPad Air only.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ET9YYS2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DF400

Thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to getting one this week. I'm interested in the Airbender, seems like a great addition.

DF400

Well, thanks in part to Steve's review - I took the plunge and picked up a 128g iPad Air. I must admit, it boggles my mind that there i.e. that much processing power in one pound of engineering! I know there is likely a consolidated list of resources for the iPad implementation - so I will search that out on the site. However, any must - have recommendations for apps and hardware would be great!

Elantric

www.musicappblog.com/top-music-apps-current-picks/

Check the site mentioned on 1st post this thread
www.musicappblog.com
and download their free  IOS music app guide

supernicd

That's a pretty darned good list. (I looked at the USA version).  A few apps I think worth mentioning that I don't see here (unless I missed them).  I don't necessarily feel any of these are better or more useful than those listed.  Just some adds.

Beatmaker 2
Samplr
Drum Studio
Drums XD
iFretless guitar (there's also a bass version)
Bias (brand new)
Sampletank
Looptical

But really between apps, in app purchases, and external hardware, you can easily spend more than what you did on the iPad.  But because apps are usually low-priced compared to VSTs, hardware, etc. there is temptation to become an app junkie.  More often than not you can find reviews, detailed descriptions, and a video or two on Youtube for most apps, so I'd find out as much as possible about each app before you buy.  Otherwise you can end up spending money on apps you really don't use.  Each app has its strengths and weaknesses but there is overlap.

I will say that one of the first apps you'll want is Audiobus, because it will be the glue that ties all of your other music apps together.  I think people may forget to mention Audiobus at this point because it's almost a given that if you use iPad for music, you have it.  The Audiobus site also has a full list of compatible apps, and makes a nice shopping list.

Enjoy!
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

Here is a Mic Stand Holder for iPad Air  - I just ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFLK7AM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11V2MDXFAC9IW

I was able to play guitar more with Bias / JamUp pro yesterday.
I love the ability to instantly get great Tube amp guitar tone,

Good review here
http://www.musicappblog.com/jamup-pro-xt-updates/

and using the "Live Mode" in Jamup XT  - I find I could almost get away not having any pedal board  - just reach over and click the large target for enabling  / disabling Stomp FX or change presets. 

I tried different Guitar Interfaces for Ipad and settled on iRig Pro as having the most headroom /  least noise :

Brief comments on each type i tried :
Behringer  IS202 - a bit less clarity, which implies that despite having 24bit AD, my ears tell me the iPad must be seeing the IS202 as a 16 bit audio interface   

Sonuus I2M+ Apple Lighting USB Camera Adapter, I thought this sounded very good, and appears to have a nice High Input impedance, rolling the guitar volume down maintained highs. Its a great versatile 16 bit interface for ipad IMHO, considering it also works as a Mono Guitar pitch to MIDI Interface too. .

iRig Pro : Its true 24 bit A/D and 24 bit iPad Audio using the supplied lighting connecter were revealed when I used high gain amps in Positive Grid's Bias IOS app. iRig Pro is the Lowest Noise Guitar  / Audio interface for ipad I own. and found I could run with no Noise Gates! All interfaces I list here allow Ultra Low Latency to be turned on in Jamup Pro and I like that the iRig Pro has the separate MIDi Input, which means I could use an external MIDI pedal (KMI SoftStep).

Elantric

DF400

Great options for iPad integration - that stand looks like a much better option that the flimsy molded plastic ones i've seen in the past. I like the iPrig Pro option, but trying to hold out for the iConnectMIDI4+ - which looks like a much more versatile interface (sans audio of course). So far, I have been pretty impressed with the iPad Air - I imagine there is much more to come, as companies develop apps that fully utilize its capabilities.
The only thing keeping me attached to my GR55 is the modeling/alternate tuning feature, which is very convenient.

supernicd

Did some testing yesterday using the lightning to 30 pin adapter, and the Alesis IO Dock does not appear to work with iPad Air and/or iOS 7.  I'm not sure which one's the culprit, as I have not braved the iOS 7 upgrade on my iPad 3 yet.

I really liked having the tons of I/O options on the IO Dock.  The IO Dock did not handle SysEx, and it's preamps weren't the best ones I've ever used, but they were workable, especially for live use. 

There does not seem to be anything comparable available for iPad air yet.  Right now iRig Pro seems to be the closest, though it doesn't have a MIDI out, and no audio outputs.  On the plus side it is very small and seems to be somewhat future proof since there is no dock for it to fit into (unless they change the lightning port to something else on a future iPad). 

So now I'm wondering whether to proceed with the iRig Pro, which at least gives a simultaneous audio/MIDI in, or wait for the next dock...
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

supernicd

Elantric, how is the Air Bender case working out for you?  I'm currently evaluating a Zagg Air Folio keyboard case.
http://www.zagg.com/ipad-air-folio/8513

• Backlit keys (nice but not critical)
  • Dedicated copy/paste buttons (super useful as sometimes I find it tricky to get these dialogs to present at the right time using the iPad internal keyboard)

Dislikes:

• The biggest one - the lightning power cable fits in fine, but the lightning/30 pin adapter doesn't fit when the iPad is in this case.  The adapter has slightly larger plastic molding than the charging cable, and the plastic of the Zagg case blocks it from seating all the way
  • It is a little difficult to remove the ipad from the case
  • The viewing angle is not very adjustable.

It is sort of looking like the Air Bender might eliminate ALL of my dislikes.  You finding any nagging issues with it?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteDid some testing yesterday using the lightning to 30 pin adapter, and the Alesis IO Dock does not appear to work with iPad Air and/or iOS 7.

Myself - I use an official Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter - like this and both my Alesis IO dock and Behringer IS-202 work 100% with both my iPad Mini and iPad Air.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD824ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-02-m?fnode=3a

The generic versions will not work

supernicd

QuoteMyself - I use an official Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter - like this and both my Alesis IO dock and Behringer IS-202 work 100% with both my iPad Mini and iPad Air.
Hmm, yes, I have the official Apple adapter, the one with the short cable just like the one pictured.  Interesting that the IO dock works for you.  I will have to give it another shot...  Does it charge the iPad? 

QuoteAirBender works fine - lots of angle adjustment which is the main selling point for me.
the quick release behind iPad is just like an old 35mm camera lens cap mechanism

The keys are not backlit, and not the highest quality, but they work.
Sweet!  Does the official lightning adapter from Apple connect up OK when the iPad is in this case?

VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteSweet!  Does the official lightning adapter from Apple connect up OK when the iPad is in this case?

Yes - full I/O port access on AirBender
Quotebut the lightning/30 pin adapter doesn't fit when the iPad is in this case.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=3a

To be clear - the adapter above will NOT fit - and i do not know any iPad case that supports the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter.
Thats why I use the version with the short cable.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD824ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-02-m?fnode=3a

QuoteHmm, yes, I have the official Apple adapter, the one with the short cable just like the one pictured.  Interesting that the IO dock works for you.  I will have to give it another shot...  Does it charge the iPad?

Comparing IO dock to IS-202, the IS-202 is the better choice, yes IS-202 charges any iPad connected  - even the Air.
IODock I understand does not since IOS 5

The downer is both are restricted 16bit Audio I/O to the iPad IOS, and nowhere near the clarity of 24 bit interfaces (Like iRig Pro)

supernicd

I'm not sure why Apple decided to make the plastic molding larger on the lightning adapter (cable version) than they did on the power charging cable.

But with the Zagg case, this creates a problem using even the cable version of the lightning adapter:

You can see where the opening in the Zagg case is too small for the adapter.  I'm guessing this doesn't present a problem for the casual iPad user but for the musician it could be a show stopper.  Thinking about returning this and going for the Air Bender.

QuoteComparing IO dock to IS-202, the IS-202 is the better choice, yes IS-202 charges any iPad connected  - even the Air.
IODock I understand does not since IOS 5

The downer is both are restricted 16bit I/O and no where near the clarity of 24 bit interfaces.

Agreed.  I got the Alesis long before Behringer came out with the IS-202.  Both Alesis and Behringer seem to compete in the lower end of music tech.   It would sure be nice to see a company come out with a mid-range to higher end dock.  The IO Dock does charge my iPad 3 on iOS 6.

Thanks for the tips here!!  Will try the IO Dock again and see if I can get it working.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

QuoteRight now iRig Pro seems to be the closest, though it doesn't have a MIDI out

I wasn't aware of this - I just assumed there was a breakout cable for both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, possibly tapping off a stereo (three-pole) 1/8" jack.  Bummer.

Ah well, that saves me a $150, and I'll stick with my is202.  It would be nice if Behringer made the is202L a 24-bit audio device if and when they ship it, but with Apple changing up the form factor of the iPad every few months now, I'm not sure they'll bother.

supernicd

Yes, seems there's no "perfect" interface for me yet.  Will have to switch off between a couple for different applications.  Luckily everything's hot-swappable and quick.

I've now had a chance to check out the Zagg case and the Newtrent case side by side (well, one after another).

The Newtrent is far more adjustable.  More viewing angles, much easier to pull it apart and have just the iPad in a shell, or even separate it with the adjustable arm to set on the desk while you use the keyboard separately.  And the lightning adapter fits in the opening!

That said, the Zagg does have a few things going for it too.  The keys have a noticeably nicer feel to them.  The keyboard has a backlighting option (3 levels).  The case is a bit slimmer and lighter, and in my opinion seems to be made of a nicer plastic.  The Zagg has the magnetic set up that turns the iPad display off by just closing the case - the Newtrent does not.

In my opinion, the Zagg has a bit more a of a 'professional' design, whereas the Newtrent has more of an 'industrial' design, if that makes any sense.  The Newtrent seems like it might be more at home on a workbench or drafting table, whereas the Zagg might be more at home on a conference room table.

While the Zagg has basically only one angle (landscape, "laptop mode") it is a good angle that works well for setting it on a desk or in your lap.  At this particular angle, the Newtrent is a little top heavy.  On a desk or table, its fine because the armature keeps it from tipping.   If you set it on your lap, it has a tendency to want to tip backward unless the armature is squarely on one leg.

I think I have a slight preference to the Zagg for typical every day use.  But it has a couple of shortcomings that render it unusable for specific uses.  I may keep them both, but if not I'll probably keep the Newtrent.

VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

whippinpost91850

I've been trying to buy the iRig Pro recording studio special from Guitar Center  for almost 4 hrs now. Site is running incredibly slow.

whippinpost91850

whippinpost91850

Any one here ever try the 8track recorder that comes with Amplitude 3 ?