VG-99 Editor / Librarian Version 1.01

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 08:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

VG-99 Editor / Librarian - WinXP, Vista Version 1.01

http://www.roland.co.jp/support/downloads/index.cfm?ln=jp&SearchBy=RcId&dst=P&iRcId=0000019881&dsp=1&sPrNm=VG%2D99

or

ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/Drivers/VG-99EditorLibrarian101.zip

VG-99 Editor / Librarian - Mac - Version 1.01
Mac OS X 10.4.3 - 10.5

http://www.roland.co.jp/support/downloads/index.cfm?ln=jp&SearchBy=RcId&dst=P&iRcId=0000019882&dsp=1&sPrNm=VG%2D99

or

ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/productsupport/Drivers/VG-99EditorLibrarian101.dmg

This document "INFOCUS02.pdf" is a "MUST READ" for all GR-55  / VG-99 owners, it walks you through how to use the  Roland Librarian.

http://www.roland.co.uk/assets/media/pdf/INFOCUS02.pdf

Download the Detailed Instructions on how to Use the VG-99 Librarian  - see attached PDF files below (PC/ Mac)

Brent Flash

Subject: Using the Editor and Librarian

Here is how it works. The Editor and the Librarian both make .mid files but they are not interchangeable. If you make it in the Editor it will only open in the Editor. Same with the Librarian.

So, the way I do it is make all my patches in the Editor. File/Export SMF/Patch. I have each patch saved from the editor in a folder.
It is also a good idea to do your system just in case you accidentally overwrite it with a patch someone else made that includes the system. That way you can just load it back with File/Import SMF...
Once you have a bunch of patches to get started do File/Import SMF... and WRITE the patches in the positions you want them in with the Editor. I know the Librarian is what you are suppose to do this with but it is easier this way. (IMHO) Use the Librarian for changing the whole USER BANK.

Once you have a USER BANK basically set up then you can start using the Librarian. What you do is open it up and click on READ ALL at the top of the window in Patch mode. (WARNING, THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE) Then you will do: File/Export SMF/All Data
Save this indicating in the name that it is Patch data because even thought it says All Data it is only all the data in that mode.
Then switch the mode to System and repeat the process for the System data.
Then switch the mode to GK Settings and repeat.
Then Favorite Settings and save making sure you indicate in the name what kind of data it is.

Once you have done this you are now ready to create a file that contains all of this data. (This is what is so weird about this program. It has two levels that work separate from each other.)

Go to File/Duplicate. This will make a file in the other section of the Librarian. This file you can save and open but it does not load into the Main Librarian window so this is what is a little weird. Go to File/Save As and name it maybe with a date so you can keep track of updates and maybe have more than one file for backup.

Anyway now we have two windows with the same data. The Main window and the one you created with the duplicate command we will call the file window. Both windows can read and write to the VG-99. The Main window can do ALL or Selected but the file window can only do patches one at a time and can't write system, GK, etc.

Pretty straight forward until you go to use the Librarian again. The next time you open the Librarian it will open the Main window with nothing in it. You can open your file and use it to rearrange patches one at a time but if you want to read or write a bunch at once you need them in the Main window. So you have three choices.

1. You can read the entire memory of the VG-99 again. (Don't do this it takes too long unless the VG has totally different patches from the ones you saved.

2. You can copy and paste them from the file window or...

(Here is a good place to put a note about copy and paste. There is an added feature that can give you grief if you don't pay attention to how it works. Under Edit you have Cut, Copy, Insert, Replace, Delete, Exchange. If you do the regular CONTROL V or Command V key stroke for paste you will insert the patch and move all the following patches down a number so you normally would want to replace and the key shortcut is CONTROL R on PC or COMMAND R on the Mac.)

3. You can go to File/Import SMF/All Data

What I do is import the All data file we created in the Main window with the File/Export SMF/All Data. This saves me from having to read the whole VG-99 memory each time I use the Librarian or copying and pasting from the File window.

When ever I am editing patches in the Editor I always have the librarian open and make changes to my working banks as I go remembering to export the Main window in the Librarian anytime I make changes and saving the file window when changes are made there.

At this point you may ask yourself why use the Librarian at all. Well, I would not except for that in my case I do need to replace the entire memory of the VG depending on what group or performer I am playing with. Some groups do the same songs but in different keys so I have transposed patches that allow me to play in the original key even though they perform it in another. Also I usually have an order that I can keep track of where my patches are with the group I am playing with so in my case it is of some use even though it is a major pain.

I hope this information will take some of the mystery out of these tools for some of you. I know when I first started with them it was trial and error the manuals were not much help.
Brent Flash

admin