SY-300 - Boss Tech hinted at updated or NEW version of sy300 is being plotted!!

Started by pattiman, May 02, 2017, 04:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pattiman

I recently had and issue where tone studio wouldn't recognize the pedal and had to call BOSS who suggested I reset the system , but not the patches...(there are two options and one let's one keep the patches intact.) That did the trick. So I asked the tech "Is Boss working on improving the unit and/or planning on coming out with a newer/better one?"  to which he replied.."OF COURSE!!" and that was all he could tell me, or he'd have to kill me.
On another note, I've been having a blast programming this unit and I have in 6 months programmed almost all 100 slots and some of them are pretty unique. I'd like to get my hands on some of the patches Alex Hutchings made for himself but didn't share in his bundle. Which brings me to this question...I'm about to share a few of the patches I made, but I'd like to sell the bundle of a 100 when I'm done, because it was to much work, hours and hours and weeks of programming to make the whole bundle. How much would that be worth but still be reasonable. You all are gonna poop your pants when you hear some of them. This is my fav pedal of all times now. Also, is there a service that will handle the downloads and host the patches for people that do sound design?
Click on the little globe on the left for my guitar based tom foolery. Add a 2 to the end  and the second link is much more synth and sample based stuff. Download my latest album for free at:https://marcpattison1.bandcamp.com/album/risen-from-the-ashes-2

admin

QuoteI recently had and issue where tone studio wouldn't recognize the pedal and had to call BOSS who suggested I reset the system , but not the patches...(there are two options and one let's one keep the patches intact.) That did the trick. So I asked the tech "Is Boss working on improving the unit and/or planning on coming out with a newer/better one?"  to which he replied.."OF COURSE!!" and that was all he could tell me, or he'd have to kill me.

I can confirm Roland/Boss is always working on something new for VGuitarists

QuoteOn another note, I've been having a blast programming this unit and I have in 6 months programmed almost all 100 slots and some of them are pretty unique. I'd like to get my hands on some of the patches Alex Hutchings made for himself but didn't share in his bundle. Which brings me to this question...I'm about to share a few of the patches I made, but I'd like to sell the bundle of a 100 when I'm done, because it was to much work, hours and hours and weeks of programming to make the whole bundle. How much would that be worth but still be reasonable. You all are gonna poop your pants when you hear some of them. This is my fav pedal of all times now. Also, is there a service that will handle the downloads and host the patches for people that do sound design?

Might compare yours with the SY-300 patches from our members here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=191.0

and Boss SY-300 Factory Reset instructions are here:
http://www.bossus.com/support/knowledge_base/205748215
SY-300: FACTORY RESET
1. Press MENU.

2. Turn SELECT knob to choose SYSTEM.

3. Press SELECT knob.

4. Turn SELECT knob until FACTORY RESET is selected

5. Press the SELECT knob.

6. Use the parameter knob to specify the SYSTEM, PATCH, or SYSTEM + PATCH areas
     that will be returned to their factory-set state.

7. Press the WRITE.

8. If you want to proceed with the Reset, press the SELECT knob.

Smash

What is it with all the hawking recently?

TBH I've yet to hear any SY patch that made me want to "poop my pants"

There's a joker on ebay selling all the VG99 and GR55 patches culled from this forum and wherever else (3,056 of them) for £8 - call it 10 dollars - so by my math on that basis your 100 patches are worth 32 cents total. Sound fair?

Rhcole

Not much $$ to be made from others here. A great patch for free might get 175 downloads over months.  Typical for most patches is a few dozen downloads over months.

If you charge, divide by ten, maybe more.

It's not worth it to me to sell anything that would only get 4 takers unless it's a yacht.
Yachts would exceed the memory capacity of this system to upload.

Passion Is its own reward sometimes.

chrish

Quote"this question...I'm about to share a few of the patches I made, but I'd like to sell the bundle of a 100 when I'm done, because it was to much work, hours and hours and weeks of programming to make the whole bundle. How much would that be worth but still be reasonable. You all are gonna poop your pants when you hear some of them. This is my fav pedal of all times now. Also, is there a service that will handle the downloads and host the patches for people that do sound design?"

That's a tough question. I have about 150 ambient patches that I worked up however much of that work is derived from Factory patches and patches that I downloaded here. So for me selling them would be out of the question because it's not all my work.

The other dilemma is if I post them here, that Joker from eBay will wind up ripping them off and selling them.

I can't find it now but I did see that Joker from eBay was at one time selling 260 ripped off Sy 300 patches for 8 - $10. When I did a search for those Sy 300 patches today, eBay says that it was taken down.

Maybe Roland intervened because he may have included patches from tone Studio

. I'm guessing that the eBay Joker is just waiting for more patches from The Forum before he offers the Sy 300 patch CD for sale again.

CodeSmart

If I'd get really useful patches in SY-300 it would be worth $20-$50 to me if they were really good and I could listen to samples proving they are really useful to my needs. Some of the patches here are great but compared to what I get out of my GR-55 and GP-10 they remain just a handful. My needs are smooth strings, voices, organs, pianos and other filler natural sounds. With the SY-300 I figure it's virtually possible. To me the SY-300 is something I admire from a technical standpoint, but have not found a place for it in my heart. It's too synthetic and harsh.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Rhcole

CodeSmart,

You're right, you can't get smooth strings, organs, etc. from the SY. The Oscs are inherently gritty sounding, even grating. I only think I've made a couple of patches where the Oscs are upfront and center.

But what a universe of possibilities exist when you blend them in with the very robust and programmable multi-fx. I can mimic most of the high-end boxes out there, from Strymon through Eventide, EarthQuaker and others. And the SY can go beyond these with sounds that none of them can copy.

And as I am discovering, since the Oscs mimic the inputs you put in, with the Synth 9 driving it, it turns into a new instrument.
Hex still rules, no dispute whatsoever. but for creative explorations the SY is an amazing product.

Brak(E)man

As I said before , I love the feel and playing of the Sy300 it's exactly what I want from a guitar synth. The sounds are great too , with a range from warm analog to crystal digital.
But I still can't get around the polyphony, for me as primarily an improviser I need sounds that can work with whatever I want to play at the moment. So it sits in a corner of the studio. Never used it live and barely on recordings.

What a waste Roland/Boss , so much potential and you'd throw it away with the hexpu.
My tests with six channels shows that with hex you'd get smooth sounds, no glitches and way more room for programming.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch