Boss SY-300 - (User Reviews) Make Some Noise!

Started by mixman, June 30, 2015, 09:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixman

I was able to get the actual first unit available for sale in the Usa this Past Saturday, at the guitar show east coast. Lucky me!
Not too happy with the sounds & how it tracks on the high e string.
Wish it had the sounds like the GR-55! You can't trigger the  GR -55 or any past guitar synths via midi either. :'(
I stand to be corrected! It turns out that i neglected to play the SY-300 using both outputs. Major difference!
The unit is very very good, and in stereo it does all it should do as expected from Roland!
Just goes to show you after all the synths i have used and all the experience i have had as a musician it is easy to miss calculate something or make common mistakes. I recommend the SY-300 to all!

Elantric

QuoteNot too happy .  . .  how it tracks on the high e string.

A good fret job and good Guitar Setup will be mandatory

QuoteYou can't trigger the  GR -55

FWIW - Thats always been true for the GR-55 - it does not respond to any external MIDI Note on/off events, and can not be used as a MIDI Tone Module 

and we already knew the

Boss SY-300  does not Transmit or Respond  to any external MIDI Note on/off events

(SY-300 is NOT a replacement for the GR-55 or GP-10 or Fishman Tripleplay)

Fresh from Roland Canada

SY-300 Owners Manual 
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-300_e01_W.pdf

SY-300 Parameter Guide 
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-300_ParamGuide_e02.pdf

SY-300 Complete MIDI Implementation
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-300_MIDI_Imple_e01.pdf

Read the Boss SY-300 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14600.0

with the detailed Q & A here:

--

Boss SY-300 Q & A  (Japan )

(courtesy of Google Translate)
https://translate.google.com/

http://jp.boss.info/support/by_product/sy-300/knowledge_base/

Q: Can I connect the 6-string more than guitar?

A: 7-string guitar can be connected. (However, you can not pronounce the sound of above 24 frets in the normal course of guitar)
8-string, the case of a 9-string, low-pass be used in the BASS mode will sound, but you can not pronounce one string 12 fret over.
Pronunciation band as a product specification is as follows.

Bass Mode OFF: A1 ~ E6
Bass Mode ON: A0 ~ E5
Within the following BOSS TONE CENTRAL, it is possible to visit the demonstration video using the 8-string guitar that Alex Hutchings Mr. play.

Q:  Is it possible to change order of the OSC and FX?

A: It can not be changed the order of OSC1 ~ 3, but in OSC ASSIGNER located between the OSC1 ~ 3 and OSC MIXER, it is possible to choose the path from eight different types.
In addition, it is not possible to place the FX before the OSC, it is possible to change the order.

Q: External foot switch was assigned to switch the patch number to, but does not switch only once from the patch that you set.

A: When the CTL MODE is set to "PATCH", after switching to the <patch it has not been assigned to switch the patch number> from <patch assigned to switch the patch number>, patch number in the external foot switch It will not be switching to.
If you are in a common work on all of the patch, please set the CTL MODE to "SYSTEM".

Q: Is it possible to divide the output destination of the sound that is input to the synth sound and the RETURN terminal?

A: It is possible.
For example, the synthesizer sound from MAIN OUTPUT, when outputting a sound that is input to the RETURN terminal from SUB OUTPUT, move the SUB OUT (SUB) between THRU / RTN and OUTPUT MIXER at SYNTH / FX screen OUTPUT Please set the RETURN LEVEL to 0 in the MIXER screen.

*  The "if that line output, through the amp simulator only to guitar sound, and setting the synth sounds impervious to amp simulator," "from the MAIN OUTPUT terminal guitar sound only, synth from the SUB OUTPUT terminal About Settings "to output the sound only, please refer to the section of the SY-300 parameters guide / Sound list" to set the output of SY-300 ".

* SY-300 Parameter Guide / Sound list
http://jp.boss.info/products/sy-300/#downloads/

Q: Can I connect the bass guitar.

A: You can connect.
* SY-300 is equipped with a BASS mode. For the setting method, please refer to the section "Input settings when connecting the BASS" SY-300 Parameter Guide / Sound list.

Q: Do you want to work even if it is connected to the effector between the SY-300 and the guitar?

A: It works.
However, if you want to sound and mix through the OSC over the direct external effects to the direct sound, connect the THRU terminal and the input terminal of the external effects, please input from the output terminal of the external effector to RETURN terminal.

Q: What is the difference between the GR-55 and SY-300?

A: For GR-55 is that sounded the PCM sound source, you can pronounce the sounds of various instruments.
For SY-300 is not a PCM sound system, you will not be able to issue these sounds.
We also do not conduct any such conversion to pitch detection and MIDI signal.
The oscillator is caused to oscillate, it makes a sound in a manner that will create a sound from scratch.

Q: Does the guitar type to be connected to the SY-300 impact the synth sounds?

A: The guitar type, differences and pickup type will impact the SY-300 synth sounds.

Q: Sound only in that you enter in the RETURN terminal, Is it possible to apply a built-in effects (FX1 ~ 4)?

A: It is possible.
To display the routing screen by pressing the [SYNTH / FX] button, THRU / between RTN and OUTPUT MIXER, please let is multiplied want to move the effect (FX1 ~ 4) (MOVE).

Q: In BLENDER, do OSC of settings and effects of ordering (CHAIN) is shuffled in the set?

A: In BLENDER screen press the SELECT knob (PUSH ENTER) and automatic shuffle function is turned ON, order of the OSC and the effect (CHAIN) is shuffled in the set.
Once again press the SELECT knob and (PUSH ENTER), automatic shuffle function stops.
While the automatic shuffle function is stopped, you can select OSC1 ~ 3 and the order of the effect the (CHAIN) individually.

*  For details on the parameters of BLENDER function, please refer to the section of the SY-300 Parameter Guide / Sound list "BLENDER".

*  SY-300 Parameter Guide / Sound list

Q: Regardless of the strength of picking, do I be able to put out at a fixed volume?

A: You can't.
SY-300 operates in response to the dynamics of the signal sent from the guitar or bass connected to the INPUT terminal, will sound.

Q: In the edit screen, such as OSC, the values of certain parameters will change without permission, you will not be able to change the value.

A: When the value of the parameter is being moved automatically by the WAVE of control parameters, it will behave as such.
[MENU] -> to enter the setting screen from the [CTL / EXP], and select the [WAVE], please try to turn off the assignment of the appropriate WAVE.
For example, in the OSC3 of U29, it is set so that the value of FINE changes alternately and -3 ? +14.
For WAVE2 it is moving the value of FINE, if the assignment of WAVE to OFF, the value of FINE does not change.

For details on the parameters of the assignment setting, please refer to the section of the SY-300 Parameter Guide / Sound list "CTL / EXP".

Q: Do synth sound, has been modeling any analog synth?

A: SY-300 does not conduct any modeling.
Use of 3 groups OSC (WAVE / PITCH / AMP / FILTER / LFO) and has a making sound.

Q: Can I also use the microphone or keyboard?

A: Available.
However, INPUT of SY-300 is, assuming a guitar / bass input signal (defined Input: -10dBu) to order that, if you want to connect a microphone or keyboard, depending on the equipment to be connected, sensitivity adjustment (INPUT SENS please do).
* If you connect a microphone, you need to connect the preamplifier after the microphone.
If you want to set the sensitivity for each patch ?, please select "PATCH" in the INPUT SENS setting screen of the patch. (Default setting: SYSTEM)

Q: Can I use as a MIDI sound source.

A: Not available.

Q: Is it possible to output as a MIDI note signal the guitar strings signal?

A: You can't.
And program change from the MIDI terminal, control change information is output. In addition, the audio signal is output from the USB terminal.

mixman

I have had almost every guitar synth the have made exept the 300!
I even had the Arp Avatar for those who know about that unit.
I have used all of these units and tweaked them to their best ability for live performance and recording on professional recordings. I am not saying that I expected the company to make a direct replacement for what you have said such as the GR-55, fishman tripple play etc..
They are not in business to stay behind the technology either.
My friend worked for roland in that dept for over20 years. I have much experience with these units and all I am saying is it may be not as expected. To my opinion which I hope I am entitled to in here kindly is the GR-55 is the best they have done so far, and the triple play is probably without a doubt the fastest and accurate to date. They all have their pro's and cons!
I am a huge Roland/ Boss fan and have great respect for the company, and have several friends that worked there,and did a lot of the demo videos also. Why release something in this technology if you are not trying to stay in the competition? It looks like they may have geared the SY-300 towards those who do not want to be bothered with installing a gk-3, and having to deal with all the technical things and issues,and just want to get down to playing. :)

Elantric

QuoteI meant . . .

Its OK to go back and edit your own post here. Click "Modify"

QuoteIt looks like they may have geared the SY-300 towards those who do not want to be bothered with installing a gk-3, and having to deal with all the technical things and issues,and just want to get down to playing.

Precisely

QuoteMy friend worked for roland in that dept for over20 years. I have much experience with these units

You are among kindred spirits - My background is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

mixman

Quote from: Elantric on June 30, 2015, 10:19:19 AM

yes a properly set up guitar will always be best.

mixman

mixman

I stand to be corrected! It turns out that i neglected to play the SY-300 using both outputs. Major difference!
The unit is very very good, and in stereo it does all it should do as expected from Roland!
Just goes to show you after all the synths i have used and all the experience i have had as a musician it is easy to miss calculate something or make common mistakes. I recommend the SY-300 to all! Once you tweak some personal preferences and make your own sounds i think this unit is going to be a hit. Especially for those who just want to put it in a case and go out to play or record.
It will be fantastic and simple, and will work with your other gear too! Have we seen the last of guitar synth pickups? Hmm!
The technology can only get way better!
This unit definitely is the first of its kind and a long time waiting for something like this! I am hoping for much more sounds in the future too!
I am planning to pair this along side my GR-55!
I am still gloating over the fact that i have bought the first one available for sale. ;D
Play clean all you Roland users!

Elantric

Glad to hear your experiences with your new Boss SY-300!

Keep them coming!

mixman

Quote from: Elantric on June 30, 2015, 11:14:23 AM
Its OK to go back and edit your own post here. Click "Modify"
Thanks.

Precisely
I almost was thinking that i bought a set of training wheels i don't need for a new bike!  but after playing this unit in stereo a whole new ball game!

You are among kindred spirits - My background is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0
Very impressive background! my friend was in the crue for a bit out there in CA he replaced the singer back in the 90's.
I Formed & was in a group produced in England by Chas Chandler who did the first two Jimmi Hendrix Albums.
Thanks my friend!

Elantric

Fantastic - welcome to our dimly lit corner of the web!

mbenigni

Quotemy friend was in the crue for a bit out there in CA he replaced the singer back in the 90's.

John Corabi?

I'm not a big Crue fan, but I read that crazy bio "The Dirt" a few years ago - that was a fun read.  :)

mixman

Quote from: mbenigni on June 30, 2015, 12:40:42 PM
John Corabi?
Yes, John.

I'm not a big Crue fan, but I read that crazy bio "The Dirt" a few years ago - that was a fun read.  :)
Well he grew up with us and he was out there in the band The Scream.
We were all proud of him.
Not much of Crue fan either except for the drummer i liked for rock & roll.
Its all fleeting!

aliensporebomb

Wow Mixman you had an Arp Avatar!  I lusted after that thing and listened to Ned Liben's demo record incessantly and then the company went under. 
My first synth was the EHX Micro Synth then ended up with a GR-100 with the G-202 guitar.

We're now living in an age that this stuff all seems pretty reliable and works very well.  Kind of amazing.  Back then it was like you were buying into something a little unreliable and experimental.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on June 30, 2015, 10:19:19 AM

what about my fretless  ;D
No seriously !
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

No seriously !

Report your findings when a Boss SY-300 lands near you and your fretless so you can give it a go.

Elantric

We're now living in an age that this stuff all seems pretty reliable and works very well.  Kind of amazing.  Back then it was like you were buying into something a little unreliable and experimental.

But Even today many Pros still believe we are still stuck in the Dark Times

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15410.0

Quote from: Guthrie Govan"That [VGuitarForums] gear is far too complicated and gets in the way of my creativity while playing" 

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on July 01, 2015, 08:18:52 AM
Report your findings when a Boss SY-300 lands near you and your fretless so you can give it a go.

I will , arriving at the end of this month supposedly  ;)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

thebrushwithin

I'll try my fretless Godin, when I receive mine, hopefully in a week or so. I'll be happy to report.

mixman

Quote from: thebrushwithin on July 01, 2015, 10:26:47 AM
I'll try my fretless Godin, when I receive mine, hopefully in a week or so. I'll be happy to report.
Quote from: Brak(E)man on July 01, 2015, 06:20:10 AM
No seriously !
It should work just fine like a regular bass or guitar. There is a guy from Europe on YouTube using a bass with and it was great!

mixman

Quote from: aliensporebomb on July 01, 2015, 05:50:16 AM
Wow Mixman you had an Arp Avatar!  I lusted after that thing and listened to Ned Liben's demo record incessantly and then the company went under. 
My first synth was the EHX Micro Synth then ended up with a GR-100 with the G-202 guitar.

Yes my cousin had one first and was a master on it. I have on on an album we did back in 1980-81 I would like to let you here it, it will blow you away. As far as those days buying something unreliable  or experimental. We always thought that it was good for that time. That's how it was like everything else.

mixman

Quote from: Elantric on July 01, 2015, 08:23:46 AM
But Even today many Pros still believe we are still stuck in the Dark Times

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15410.0
This is true that some musicians feel that we are stuck in the dark ages is because we musicians are ahead of those who manufacture these pieces of gear sometimes. I know I am. I am always thinking how to make something work for me in a different type of way other than what it was doing, or modify it to work for me. As they say necessity is the mother of all invention. Just like Edward Van Halen did! I am the same way & will re vamp something to make it work the way I want it to.

Kevin M

There are countless musicians not afraid to push the boundaries however - Adrian Belew, Vernon Reid, Al DiMeola,  and Robert Fripp are a few that come immediately to mind. That this stuff isn't fully embraced by every shredder out there doesn't matter as long as enough DO embrace it such that it's economically viable to manufacturers.

mixman

does any one know if you can download other people's patches for the sy 300?

Elantric

Quotedoes any one know if you can download other people's patches for the sy 300?

Yes- here in the (growing) Boss SY-300 User to User Patch Exchange Area
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=191.0

mixman

I downloaded the usb driver & software. All I can say is wow! There is only three guys to download patches from at this time until the sy 300 is available to the rest of the world soon.
Alex Hutchings, Gundy Keller, & my favorite out of the three is YUTAKA NAKANO! He definitely took some time to work on a couple sounds. It is a very good unit & it is easy to edit with the software on your desk top. You can really get inside this unit! The guitar tones are nice very realistic, and sound more analog. There is a lot of the boss pedal type of stuff & tube screatmer sounds if you like that.
The editing is top notch! One very nice feature is you can run your real pedals in the loop of the sy 300. Tracks fantastic! Actually there is no tracking. My prediction is they are going to run out of these units when they ship if people utilize the features. Amazing! Love the software & connecting on line with it. I am now editing and working on my own patches. I created a 12 string electric guitar with a bass. Imagine what you can do on your own. Endless until I get tired of it. Hope not. Lol!