Boss GP10 - Low Note Priority

Started by BadMucker111, August 24, 2016, 05:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadMucker111

Hey Guys,
            I finally made the plunge and got a GP-10 with the pickup. I'm loving it. I've installed the software as well and I've been able to make changes to patches. I've even been able to turn strings on and off. However, one of the big things i'm looking to do is to have the unit pickup the lowest note (i.e. root note) of any chord, and play just that.

Has anyone ever tried this or know of how to do this?
I'd really, really, really mega appreciate the help with this one

Your buddy the bad mucka!!!

Elantric

BadMucker111

Woah...!
Thanks for the reply Elantric.
The thing is I was hoping to run in standalone with the GP-10 all by its lonesome once I got thing thing sussed.
Do you think its possible? Or note priority is just not a feature built into the unit?

Cheers

Elantric

Note priority is not available for assignment on the GP-10

But  GP-10 can be set for each string to transmit MIDI Note on / off  message  on separate MIDI channels - one per string

gumtown

Not sure what you want to achieve?
So you are not talking about the guitar to midi output, right?
You want to play guitar and have a bass line play to your chording from within the GP-10?

The GP-10 can't do that, but..
All I can suggest is use you normal pickup for your guitar tone, and use the Bass model with all strings off except for low E
but then that limits the type of chords you can strum.

Other option is the Digitech TRIO plus
http://digitech.com/en/products/trio-plus

as well as bass, you get a drummer for free.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Dede99

OK, I succeeded in that

Check the image below,but I still cannot download or import Nyrac to my Ubuntu machine!

www.afrobossa.sakura.ne.jp/GP10.png

Dede99

Sorry for causing a lot of bother! I finally succeeded in the download of the Nyrac file. The trick here seems that you have to select GP10 as output source. I thought the software naturally select the device!

Thank you very much for your kind and quick answers.

BadMucker111

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
I think what I may be doing along the lines of what gumtown is suggesting.
I'm gonna try 3 patches.
1 for the 6th string only
1 for the 5th string only
1 to enable strings 6,5,4, and 3

OR

I'll have a patch that only has the 6 string enabled by default, however i'll have a controller that will allow me to turn on the 5th string where necessary.
I know this may seem a bit laborious, but i'll say this much...the GP-10 is wayyy better than that drop octave bass pickup thing. (not naming names here, but you know of which one I speak) I'm telling u now the GP-10 trumps everything and I mean every pedal and software solution that I have tried up to now. I would've saved sooo much money had i gone to this from the beginning....sigh... live and learn.

BadMucker111

Elantric!
Thanks for your reply I know this topic is going back quite a ways now but I actually ended up looking at your suggestion that Even-Harmonic GTAK might work. I actually contacted the vendor for the application and they state themselves that the application is not built to figure out what the lowest note of a chord is...arrrgh!

The company that is making a pickup to add a little bass to your guitar has this feature in their pickup.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12706.0

I've actually bought and sold said pickup cuz overall the quality SUCKED! (sorry man don't hate) It cannot come close to a gk-3 with the gp-10. I would just looooove to be able to play any chord and have the lowest note only to bend to my synths will.

So friends...I am putting the call out officially. If there is a company that makes a piece of hardware or software that can discover the lowest note coming out from a guitar chord and output just that let a brotha know! I'm even at the point of willing to work with ANY software or hardware designers that want to build this project. YES I am willing to invest money into this. And NO I don't want to use a Digitech Trio. I want to duplicate my lowest note when playing chords. (By the way the GP-10 Octave Down Note Tracking is rivaled only by an actual Bass. No pedal can match this emulation, NONE!)

I may sound a bit like a madman but from Madness comes art. NO I don't want to use a bass player. My guitar playing has now become something else where I want to play all the octaves I want. And NO I'm not looking to start playing 8-String even tho Tosin Abasi is supremely badass. I'm doing my own thing.

admin

Whats your amplification system?

I know a few folks who simply run their VGuitar system into a three- way amplification system with a  subwoofer, and use an active  crossover filter type EQ.  in this manner they achieve lowest note boost and sub frequency oomph.

or

http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/

sixeight

I have been doing lowest string priority for years with VG99 and GR55. But it works with the GP10 as well.

Method 1: I wrote a midipipe script for this - works on Mac only. It is described here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2967.msg17937#msg17937

Method 2: the VController has support for this. This is descibed here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15154.msg120376#msg120376

I use it every now and then when I am short of a bass player.

chrish

The moog slim phatty has a low note priority within the machine itself.

often, i'll hit a low note synth moog sound in this mode and  let it sustain naturally before hitting another low note. As long as that low note is sustaining, only another lower note will retrigger the oscs.

Or i'll sustain that low note with a midi sustain cc.

that way, i get a low note drone that can be modulated and still play all the natural or fx processed strings and/or triggering other synth modules .