RC-300 How to monitor Rhythm track through headphones?

Started by Avantjer, October 04, 2012, 08:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avantjer

I would like to monitor the RC-300 Rhythm track through headphones without it being audible to audience.

Anyone know how?

Thank you!

Jerry
Godin Multiac (Nylon)
Roland Ready Strat
GR-55
RC-300

Hopkins

Yes, P33 of the manual states that Main output also goes to the headphones, whereas Sub output does not.  So route everything except rhythm to Sub output (or perhaps Main+Sub if you also want it in the headphones) and Rhythm to Main output only.

Threeleggedyoyo

Alternatively, set the drum machine to only go out of the Sub jack and stick some headphones in there. You might only get one ear though... hmmm now I have to try Hopkin's solution through the RC-50...

Edit:

Yup. Same as on the RC-50.

It's too bad the phones don't have their own volume control, though. It has to be the same as your main volume, which may or may not be the place you want to set it to send stuff through your pa. On the other hand, if the rhythm track is all you're sending through there, that does, so there you go.

geormiet

Using the sub out as your output and routing rhythm to the main is the only solution I have found for this.   When I route rhythm to sub and plug the headphones in, the volume is far too quiet even at max and only in one ear.

Why on earth isn't there an option to route the rhythm to headphones only?

Avantjer

Thanks Guys!

Sorry for the delayed response to your prompt and helpful replies. I only just got a chance to try your suggestions out.
I'll be performing 5 pieces this weekend, all using the Rhythm track.
I want the Rhythm track to be audible to the audience on 4 out of the 5 pieces.
For the other piece, I need to be able to hear the Rhythm track but I don't want the audience to hear it.

Since the one suggestion involves a change at the System level, it would affect all the pieces and/or require changing the routing for them, which makes me a bit uneasy because I worry about other possible ramifications of that change.
That may be the best solution, but not something I want to mess with right before performing this weekend.

Sending the Rhythm track to Sub and plugging the headphones into Sub, rather than Headphone, works OK, but does suffer from the problems mentioned, i.e. only comes out of one side and the volume is pretty low even when set to max 200.
Still, although FAR from ideal, that solution requires the least fuss.

This was clearly a design blunder on Roland's part :-(

Thanks again!

Jerry
Godin Multiac (Nylon)
Roland Ready Strat
GR-55
RC-300

Threeleggedyoyo

Changing the system settings isn't too tough. Just hit System settings, go to Guide Out and then twist the knob to change. Only takes a couple seconds.

As far as the Sub suggestion, I had the same issues, but they can be taken care of. Route the Sub out into a small guitar amp, crank it to the desired volume, and then stick your headphones in there. Most amps will take a mono signal and make it dual in the headphones. The amp could be pretty much the smallest one you can find. Nobody needs to hear it but your headphones.

If you're playing with a friend, you can split the signal from there so they can hear, too. Just use a headphone splitter adapter.

It is odd that Boss didn't realize people would want this feature, but the workarounds aren't too painful.

Folkstone57

I wonder why in the world they not realize that any source should be able to be routed to just headphones ?