RC-300 - New to this looper. Midi noob.

Started by JFolk, September 20, 2016, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JFolk

Hi, I have a basic question and I did a bit of searching around with no avail so here it goes. I'm using the boss rc 300 synced with my new Korg electribe sampler, and I'm wondering if there is a straightforward way of being able to do 2 different things:

1. Be able to configure my setup so that when I start/start recording a track, it doesn't automatically turn my drum machine (electribe) on.
2. Be able to shut off all running tracks on the rc 300 without automatically stopping my drum machine. Whenever the last running track is shut off, this happens, and for live looping purposes I want to be able to have my drum machine still going. For now I just assigned the expression pedal to the main out volume and can accomplish my goal this way, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't another way to accomplish this.

Thanks for helping out a total rookie in advance.

shawnb

So the RC-300 is the master, and the Korg is following tempo, start & stop.  You want it to follow tempo, but not start & stop when the RC-300 starts & stops, correct?

From what i can tell, neither the RC-300 nor the Korg will allow you to follow tempo without also doing start/stop...   

So, my initial thought is that you have 3 options, none of which are perfect:
1)  Your pedal solution
2)  Set both devices to internal clock, so they are not sync'd at all; but you will lose tempo sync
3)  Get some sort of filter between the RC-300 and the Korg that can filter out the MIDI START & MIDI STOP and leave the clock untouched

For a programmable filter I'd suggest looking at either the Bome Box or the MSEPP.

Bome:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13459.msg135531#msg135531

MSEPP:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4943.msg33522#msg33522

Unless someone else has a clever idea?!?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp