GR-55 - Oberheim OB-Xa and OB-8

Started by greekjgg, March 14, 2012, 06:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greekjgg

From what I've read, the Oberheim OB-Xa and OB-8 (For Live), is what Van Halen used for recording the synth sounds on 1984.

I'm looking to create the "I'll Wait" synth sound with the GR-55. I'm not even sure where to start looking? I have the "Jump" synth from the German patches but it doesn't sound like "I'll Wait". Any ideas or recommendations?

Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

A2theT

Not sure about the GR-55 but I used GR-300 and Pipe Synths in VG-99 to create mine.  Then used a drop D tuning on low E string
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

aliensporebomb

A to the T:  Do you have an MP3 excerpt of that tune so we can hear what it sounds like? 
I know Ruppert had a spot-on "Jump" sound he made for the 99 just using cosm effects but "I'll Wait" is a different polysynth type sound.  I will see what I can figure out.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

greekjgg

Here's a you tube clip of the song.

Just a 10 min search I've found: 725 Poly Synth 2

This stock sound is ok, sorta sounds like if there was a karaoke version of the song with cheaper sounds?

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to play this. I have guitar tab that is transcribed for the synth part but as usual the chords are difficult. I did do the drop tune, that was a good play. But I'm trying to play with the arrangement of the string pitches to create the "poor mans" way of playing this if you will.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Charles5150

Ruppert's patch for Jump is the closest sounding to the original I've ever heard in my life comming from a not keyboard instrument, what an amazing pair of ears.

Maybe he could help here. It's very possible Eddie uses his unconventional approach to keyboards here too: i.e. putting a phase 90 after the keyboard and then a Marshall. To me it sounds like there's a guitar cabinet there, highs are very lo-fi

Bill Ruppert

Charles,
I dont think its through a Marshall. It kind of sound like its distorting the filters a bit.
I hear what you are saying....maybe they reamped it by playing it through the studio speakers in the live room and mixed that in with the direct. OR they overloaded the di.

The OBX I did used two channels of wave synth "saw wave".
I think I used some phaser as well.
That was a while ago...
For the sound asked about i would just close the filter a bit.
http://soundcloud.com/bill-ruppert/obx-vg-99
Bill

arkieboy

bog standard obie brass through some valves: could be a marshall, or just a studio processor overdriven or even a fuzz box

You get the basic sound with a pair of saw waves, one of which should be slightly detuned, a 12dB/octave filter about 2/3rds open with no resonance and an amplitude envelope just backed off from instantaneous.  You should be able to get something like this from a GR55:  my oberheim matrix 6 (surprise surprise) and supernova II both manage this without much sweat.  With the sn II you can drive the filter to get a bit of fuzziness, or use the built in fuzz box emulation - I can't remember if you can drive the filter on an OBX (which I think Eddie was using).

Many synths impersonate this sound - it's usually helpfully called 'Jump' or 'Obie brass' or 'OBX Brass'

This is a perfect sound to begin cutting your teeth at programming.  Get on with it!

:-)

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

greekjgg

I found this clip too last night...not the greatest cover band but somebody's using a Roland something. The clip is older so before GR-55 but the synth sounds real good.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

greekjgg

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 14, 2012, 01:24:16 PM
Charles,
I dont think its through a Marshall. It kind of sound like its distorting the filters a bit.
I hear what you are saying....maybe they reamped it by playing it through the studio speakers in the live room and mixed that in with the direct. OR they overloaded the di.

The OBX I did used two channels of wave synth "saw wave".
I think I used some phaser as well.
That was a while ago...
For the sound asked about i would just close the filter a bit.
http://soundcloud.com/bill-ruppert/obx-vg-99
Bill

Wow Bill, that Jump sound is better than the one from the German patches of all the "legends". Do you have a spec sheet for that? or is it as simple as you stated? Would love to do a GR55 version of that as well.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

A2theT

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 14, 2012, 09:18:40 AM
A to the T:  Do you have an MP3 excerpt of that tune so we can hear what it sounds like?

Ok, I posted it up with mp3 sample so you can hear what it sounds like:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5539.0

Its not bad but if anyone wants to improve on the patch then feel free.  It was good enough for my liking at the time.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

whippinpost91850

Bill, I'm pretty amazed at the sound you get. You're ears are unbelievable. thanks for sharing Paul

A2theT

Here's the VG-99 Patch and sample I use to play Jump.  Must be able to replicate the Jump sound on the GR-55.....
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5548.0

With all due respect, I believe my patch is just a modification of BrentFlash's fantastic work!
HEAVY on the METAL

Brent Flash

whippinpost91850

I'm desperately looking for an OBX-A patch for my GR55 like the one below and have no idea where to start.

Please if anyone has one I would appreciate it.... We just dug up "Working For The Weekend"

https://youtu.be/Ksq263XZeQk?list=LLEJZ2lkbGdViuYKOEcSF7-w

aliensporebomb

Not sure if the 55 can do this exactly the way I did it on a track on my new record but....

Have cosm guitar set to Wave Synth
Shape Saw
Try sens 50 attack 50 decay 100 and level 50
Filter type -12 db
cutoff 58 and reso 34
attack 0, decay 100, depth 0
eq (if you have it) low +8db low mid +5db high mid +3db high 0db and total 0 db
Turn compressor on for max sustain, about 40% attack and level about 60%
Modulation set to pan
Some type of chorus, flange, phase or modulation effect (more on this later)
Reverb also set to mod type but plate may work better for you

The reason for being vague about specifying chorus/flange/mod etc is I find the type of effect you use there has a large effect on how "smooth" or how "rough" the sound is.  Rougher, it sounds like synth brass, smoother it sounds more organ like.  Somewhere between the two the "I'll Wait" sound is because it almost sounds like a hybrid of a brass/organ sound.  A similar sound can be done with the same settings for the Loverboy tune.

Also, how it sounds largely depends on how much oomph you've set the GK sens to.  22 like I use often might be a little anemic.  I cranked it up for the tune I did recently.  Try it!

If it's too sharp, filter more.  if it's too smooth - filter less.

I have a patch I uploaded to the VG-99 section called ObieSaws that seems to me to sound like the work Dave Stone did with an Oberheim OB-XA with the band Max Webster (after Terry Watkinson left - he was a prominent Yamaha CS-80 user).  This patch with some edits can sound a bit like the glassy sound of a Yamaha CS-80 - season to taste by editing. 

I realize this isn't a patch for the 55 If you load the Pod Obiesaws patch up in the VG-99 editor, you can set the exact settings I used and what order I put everything in.  if you can do a similar thing on the 55 (I don't have one yet!) you should get a lot of the way there.

Then, I set my E and A strings to an octave below and all the other strings standard. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

whippinpost91850

Thank you so much... ASB I will give this a shot tonight......Paul

chrish

whippinpost91850

Yep, read it several times.  I'm getting closer , but not there yet