VG-99- Tony Banks - unashamed nostalgia!

Started by arkieboy, August 07, 2017, 06:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkieboy

(inspired by the 'Blade Runner blues' I thought I'd best finish off some of my stuff for wider consumption)

This is my take on the classic 70's prog monosynth sound + a couple of crappy demos I had far too much fun putting together last night.

Basic programming approach is to use the wave synth for each cosm guitar channel and treat them as two oscillators, detune one slightly and use vibrato like an LFO, then and chorus to thicken the sound.  Then you can use slow gear to change the attack characteristics, some compressor to smooth it out and Bob's your uncle!*

(just checked and actually I use two different vibrato rates here because I wanted the mod2 for the slowgear)

Performance features - CTL1 switches slow gear to pull back the attack; CTL2 drops cosm B an octave; EXP1 is an octave-up bend - when CTL2 is on then this just affects the cosm A voice and increases the interval by an octave; EXP2 is volume; D-Beam is filter; Ribbon is Pitch.

The original aim was to get the 'Follow You, Follow Me' sound (Arp 2600? Pro Soloist? Quadra?) - I think I'm pretty close, the legato is a real pig - but when I started to round out the sound with some performance features it quickly proved more versatile, so I've added another demo using CTL2 and EXP1 to get something like Rick's mini from 'And You and I'.

Have fun people!

Steve

* he is actually.  Mother's side.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

Grateful if someone can check the upload.  Pretty certain I haven't put the system stuff in there ...

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

aliensporebomb

Good!  We don't want the system stuff there - just the patch.  I will eagerly check this one out this eve.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

arkieboy

Thanks, Alex

I picked the first two SMFs off the web, chopped out the section I was interested, deleted the extraneous tracks and used a few choice plugins in Logic.  Drums are the Alan White drum kit (appropriately enough) in Kitcore, the 3 Violins mellotron is from the late Hollow Sun's Newtron Bomb sample CD.

I did a much better job on the Genesis number - the SMF was better to start with and I use that solo to practice long legato runs so I can play it better.  I should have taken a bit more time to tidy the Yes number up I suppose.  They do the job though ...

aliensporebomb

Oh man, your demos and playing - AWESOME!

You made the inner prog dude inside me give you the thumbs up!  Saving those demos to listen to!

mooncaine

2 fums up! Can't wait to try your patch!

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Anatma

oh man, those demos sound great! but I'm not getting any sound from the patch? (I do have the fc-300)

[edit] I found the main output from mixer was off, sounds great now! Thanks!

Smash

On Thassos at the moment - no live bands in Limenaria - gap in the market. Anyway can't wait to try this patch out when I get home!

aliensporebomb

Hm.  I'm not getting any output either.  FC-300 is connected and mixer out isn't off.  Curious. 

arkieboy

Have you checked the patch output level?  I may have saved it silent ...

(EXP2 permanently routed to volume)

arkieboy

Go to mixer page 5 and set the main output to taste.

I have the XLRs connected in my studio and frequently send all my guitar signals via the main out and my synth signals via the sub outs.  Needless to say this is a synth patch ...

Apologies.  This should work

aliensporebomb

Oh that's clever.  I never....you realize you could set up a quadraphonic setup with that?

arkieboy

aliensporebomb

I managed to get this going by the way - pretty cool!