R.I.P - Tom Petty

Started by admin, October 02, 2017, 01:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tom-petty-rock-iconoclast-led-200300164.html

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tom-petty-passed-away-66-211437886.html
Quote"It's 1:22 a.m., and the last lighting, video and sound cases are getting loaded up and pushed off the stage at the Hollywood Bowl, where Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers played three incredible sold-out, hometown shows to close out the band's 40th Anniversary tour.

Fifty-three shows. Twenty-four states. Twelve lighting crew. Eleven truck drivers. Nine in Production. Seven sound guys. Six backline crew. Six months. Five opening acts. Three countries. Three riggers. One legendary band and over one million legendary fans. Thank you to all!"

Tom Petty, the dynamic and iconoclastic frontman who led the band the Heartbreakers, died Monday. He was found unconscious, not breathing and in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home Sunday night, according to TMZ, and rushed to the hospital and placed on life support. EMTs were able to find a pulse when they found him, but TMZ reported that the hospital found no brain activity when he arrived. A decision was made to pull life support. CBS confirmed Petty's death. He was 66.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recently completed a summer tour last Monday with three nights at the Hollywood Bowl. The trek marked the band's 40th anniversary and found him playing rarely played deep cuts like their first album's opener, "Rockin' Around (With You)," and a selection of Wildflowers cuts. It was intended to be his "last trip around the country." He told Rolling Stone, though, that it wasn't his intention to quit playing. "I need something to do, or I tend to be a nuisance around the house," he said.

In the late Seventies, Petty's romanticized tales of rebels, outcasts and refugees started climbing the pop charts. When he sang, his voice was filled with a heartfelt drama that perfectly complemented the Heartbreakers' ragged rock & roll. Songs like "The Waiting," "You Got Lucky," "I Won't Back Down," "Learning to Fly" and "Mary Jane's Last Dance" all dominated Billboard's rock chart, and the majority of Petty's albums have been certified either gold or platinum. His most recent release, Hypnotic Eye, debuted at Number One in 2014. Petty, who also recorded as a solo artist and as a member of the Traveling Wilburys and Mudcrutch, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

This story is developing.

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Rhcole

Holy Crap!  :o
Man's an icon!!

GuitarBuilder

Rest in peace, Tom!  Your music will always be in my heart.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

shawnb

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Pete1959

R.I.P.  Tom

The Heartbreakers, The Traveling Wilburys, solo work and collaborations.... Huge body of work over the years.

Another legend gone.

shawnb

The news is confusing.  He had a heart attack, and they took him off of life support.    But apparently he is still clinging on.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Pete1959

Quote from: shawnb on October 02, 2017, 05:52:48 PM
The news is confusing.  He had a heart attack, and they took him off of life support.    But apparently he is still clinging on.

Fingers crossed. Hang in there Tom. I just saw the same reports as well.

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

News past hour indicates Tom is still alive and in a hospital recovering from a severe heart attack.

Hope for a recovery

Kevin M

Looks like he lost the battle. This is so sad. Someone whose music I liked as a teenager. Although my tastes in music have evolved over the years, I did go see him play in 2008. One of the better shows I've seen. Way too young to go.  :-(

admin

Warren Haynes wrote>
RIP Tom Petty- Man, am I tired of doing this? Here I am again trying to express a sense of loss, with words, which is hard enough to do without the depressingly uncanny frequency of major losses we've suffered this year- and it's barely October.
Tom Petty was a great songwriter. If he'd written only a handful of the classic songs we've all known and loved through the years this would still be the case. But he defied history. He did what so few can do- he kept up the pace for over 40 years and as great as the songs from the early albums were he actually continued to get better and better, composing a lot of his best works later in his career. And he kept them coming. I remember commenting during a short tour we did together with the Allman Brothers and the Heartbreakers that they had so many hits they couldn't fit them all into one show. And not just hits. The kind of hits that "everybody" likes. Casual fans, rockers, musicians, singer-songwriters, male and female- across the board. Everybody loves Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. And for good reason. I can remember in different stages of my life, (going all the way back to 1976 when I first heard them) no matter where my head was- if I was going through a blues phase, or a jazz phase, or a folky phase, or a funk phase- anytime I would hear a new Tom Petty song on the radio it was like "damn, that's a good song". And like all great bands from the 60's and 70's the Heartbreakers had a sound. You knew it was them as soon as you heard it. Evolving and adapting but never straying too far from that sound, they somehow managed to navigate their way through 4 decades of an ever-changing music business- a feat unto itself.

But Tom Petty was also a true artist in the way that he fought for the right to deliver his music uncompromised and his well known disputes with the corporate side of the music industry helped pave the way for other artists to do the same. I still remember his battle to keep the record company from raising the price on Hard Promises because it would be unfair to the fans. Reading about that as a 21 year-old kid inspired me to be conscious of those kind of things. I also remember hearing a story (assuming it's true) of how he would find the person with the worst seat in any venue they were performing in and have them moved down front- another classy act.

I barely knew Tom. We did a handful of shows together. But I was a big fan before I met him and a bigger one afterwards. I'm honored to have played together what little we did. The world needs more Tom Petty's. Unfortunately there was only one. And now he's gone. May we all "stand our ground" and "not back down".- WH