1988 high tech ;) yamaha g10 content

Started by pinkjimiphoton, November 10, 2017, 10:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

hi folks
i was recently gifted a yamaha g10/g10c with the cable and all in almost mint shape.
but the g10c controller reads battery missing.
i opened that sucker up, and replaced the cr2032 with a fresh one.. had to modify the thing a little, as yamaha used coin cells that were tack soldered to leads that were then soldered to the board. easy peasy.
fired it up... says exactly the same thing.

so the billion dollar question for my fellow obsessives, is.... is this thing bricked?
i have read the manual repeatedly and googled til my eyeballs were dripping out of their sockets, but can't seem to find if there is a
"factory reset" procedure for this thing. (good thing i tried it before sniping a couple sound modules on the bay for it, huh?)

the manual says if the battery is low, hit a key and you can still use it.. but when the battery is dead, you lose that capability.

since this thing is so old, i don't expect to get much info, but am hopeful someone out there has already been thru this and can guide me to an end result. i'd LOVE to get it working and keep it... its kinda cool, and my first midi controller was one of them terrible casio dg20's so i can handle the weird strings and stuff...
i love my rolands (gr1/09/30) but frankly the g10 controller is so damn groovy looking i kinda got gear lust to make it work.

if i can't get it going, i will let it go for probably way less than what peeps are asking for these things. i believe instruments should be played.

so... if someone can help/advise me, i would be very grateful and will buy every bum i see a cuppa joe with your name on it.

thanks peeps.

hopeful ;)
peace!

pinkjimiphoton

thanks so much! just curious if its even worth putting the 25 into for the SM.
do you have personal experience with this puppy?

pinkjimiphoton

again, thanks for the tip.
i found it (free) here:
http://www.owner-manuals.com/G10C-service-manual-YAMAHA.html

it does not have any mention of a reset procedure, and doesn't go into battery replacement.
so i'm gonna go hit the local jobber and get a coin cell holder and a cr2032 and give it a try again.

it is likely bricked, as even if i can find the sysex stuff for it, if i can't get past the battery error screen, it won't matter.

pinkjimiphoton

ok,
so went to the local jobber and gotta coin cell holder and a couple cr2032's. he had the proper ones with the tabs tacked to them to solder to the board, but i was like... no.

grafted a short stretch of clipped off transistor leg to the negative pin of the holder. used my solder sucker to clean out the debris, and mounted the holder to the board... fairly easy.
ya gotta take off the bottom panel first, then the  top panel, then remove the screws holding the pcb down to get at the area where the battery is.  lift the pcb up, and undo one of the connectors so ya can fold it over out of the way.

i had tacked a couple leads to a 2032, didn't work and snuffed the battery so i thought it was bricked.

anyways, once i slid the new battery in, i fired it up. and it came up in spades, working... no more error, and now not a brick.

so i ordered one of the old rack synths yamaha made to go with this "system" and hope to be playing it when the module comes in to see if i dig it.

so far everyone says "left hand mode" and "breath controller" are the coolest parts. we'll see.
i like my rolands (gr1, 09,30) so i may just keep them and flip the g10 system in one chunk, guitar, case, cable, g10c and the tx81z.

hope this info helps someone someday, and thanks for the info and leads!!
rock on ;)

scratch17

tx81z was one of my favorite synths back in the day. Glad you got your G10 working, Post some vids.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

pinkjimiphoton

will most definitely do so when i get it all together. i midi'd it to my roland gr30 at the moment, just to check it out, and to get the guitar set up.

these are insanely annoying at low volume levels. you need headphones on so ya don't hear the annoying "between f and g" tuning of all the .016 strings. thats the part i think was the dealbreaker..

but man, it seems to track really good... will give it a good workout when i get the proper synth in.
rock on!