New members finding difficulty signing up as new user.

Started by gumtown, January 29, 2012, 10:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Hi Moderators,
I have been PM'ed on another forum by a person who wishes to join the forum here, but does not get a reply when the signup details are submitted.

As forwarded..

Hello, gumtown.

The vguitarforums have a wealth of info on the GR-55 and other Roland synths and masses of patches. But when I submit my user info to join the forum, there's no response, even after two weeks.

gumtown, do you have any idea what's happening over there?

Many thanks 

------------------------------------------
and a link to a topic
http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/forums/viewthread/2976/
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

MCK

Glad you posted this. I approve new members on a daily basis. There is a very important field called Joining Reason. We need people to say a few things expressing why they are interested in our context. Entries like Info, Interest, To Learn etc are all too generic and will get the membership request denied. You will not hear about the rejection either. The reason for this is simple.

Unfortunately there are hordes of robots/scripts out there constantly trying to find new forums and register there with the intention of spreading spam or other nastier possibilities. We had our share of issues and not long ago our forum was even hijacked. In order to avoid these issues we implemented a number of safety measures of which one is to inquire a valid reason for joining. I don't want to list what will get you through but here are few paraphrased entries which might give you some clues. Thanks for your understanding...

Admit One
=========
New Gx99 owner
Love didi sitar
been using minths forever
Need info on xyz

Reject for sure
==========
I am a spammer robot from outer space
I love hacking websites and defacing them
Info
Interest
Learning
Recommendation etc

MCK

Just rejected new member applications with the following 'Reason for joining'... sharing again to give prospective members with real intentions of joining our forum to do this one little thing right... Its not like we are stuck up people and putting you through a tough frat house initiation test. Just help us in determining whether you are a real person with real interests matching what this forum has to offer. Thanks!!!

Today's rejects :

:)
research
fun
Interested in the community
knowledge

Elantric

At VGuitarforums we take pride in the high "signal to noise" ratio of the posted content. We do not accept everyone who makes a request to join here, as we do not want to be flooded with the typical off topic rants, spam and cat fights that occur regularly on other guitar forums. Basically if you do not know what a 13 pin cable is, you probably have no business being here.

Also just a reminder to those who are taking the time to fill out the registration and become a member of VGuitarForums. I personally review all applications, and if you write jiberish as your reason for joining our forum, or fds543, or "none of your business" I will reject your application.  And I have a tool to check if your email has a track record of being a spambot.   

I currently reject 20% of those who attempt to join, and that helps maintain our focus here , with potentially less off topic SPAM