Kind of footswitches to build S1/S2 external foot controller

Started by weiaba01, February 07, 2018, 01:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weiaba01

Hello guys,

I'm trying to build a S1/S2 footswitch controller, you know, much more useful to live application.

I have bought a pair of switches Miyama Ds-008, but I realice this switches work in latch mode instead momentary mode. Can I use this or is better (or needed) to use momentary switches? Could you suggest me an specific switch? What could happen if a use latch switches to drive S1/S2 GK lines?

Thanks a lot and regards.
Antonio.

admin

weiaba01

Many thanks admsustainiac,

I suppose using latch switch for this purpose could damage the unit... right?

Regards.
Antonio.

admin

Quote from: weiaba01 on February 07, 2018, 02:29:58 PM
Many thanks admsustainiac,

I suppose using latch switch for this purpose could damage the unit... right?

Regards.
Antonio.

No damage - it just will not operate as an S1 / S2 momentary switch should

weiaba01

OK, understood...

I have already bought a pair of this momentary SPST switch normally open switches. Thanks a lot!

Antonio.

Yohanes

Hi Antonio.

Pardon me. May I know what synth module (GR-55, GP-10, etc) that you want to control with S1/S2 so you have to replace it with footswitches? Doesn't most of the synth module units already provide an external footswitches port? So I think replacing that S1/S2 switches directly with external footswitches (by intervening your GK-3 cable route) is not a good idea.

Please enlighten me here, thanks.

Best regards,
Yohanes
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

admin

Quote from: Yohanes on February 07, 2018, 09:29:51 PM
Hi Antonio.

Pardon me. May I know what synth module (GR-55, GP-10, etc) that you want to control with S1/S2 so you have to replace it with footswitches? Doesn't most of the synth module units already provide an external footswitches port? So I think replacing that S1/S2 switches directly with external footswitches (by intervening your GK-3 cable route) is not a good idea.

Best regards,
Yohanes

S1 / S2 as External Foot control can be accomplished a few ways

* Modified US-20 A/B/Both switcher

ELANTRIC - Roland US-20 "Magic Box Mod"- I/O External FX Loop, and Remote S1/S2
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3664.0

and

PrimovaSound GFX-21

gumbo

...or simply buy one of these...

(Behringer FS112V...this variant even has the correct labels!)

...can be rewired to do what you want....not all that difficult if you follow the diagrams.   ;)

If you wire it so that it is IN PARALLEL with the S1 & S2 switches on your guitar (by adding a couple of 13-pin jacks from You-Know-Who!), you simply can make patch changes by EITHER the switches on your guitar OR via the (modified) Behringer footswitch without sacrificing the functionality of any of the on-board controls on your synth unit...

...yes, it does work....   :-*   ...just wire it with a 13-pin "IN" jack (from your guitar) and another 13-pin "OUT" jack (to the next bunch of stuff in the chain)..   ...and yes, you obviously need ONE MORE 13-pin cable in the circuit to make it all work.

Built in this way, it does not represent a modification to a particular synth unit...and can therefore be carried between any unit you may wish to use that expects a guitar-mounted S1/S2 switch combination, with patch-change commands arriving down the 13-pin cable...

HTH

Peter

OR:

(given the details of your setup in your post below)...use it as it is  ( ?)
...it has both 'pedals' as momentary, and they each connect a separate circuit to a common 'ground' via a TRS 1/4" jackplug..

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

weiaba01

Quote from: Yohanes on February 07, 2018, 09:29:51 PM
Hi Antonio.

Best regards,
Yohanes
Hello Yohanes,

Well, I know That I can use the S1/S2 GK3 switches, of course. But I don't use GK3 and instead it, I regulary use the mod consisting of having an input to insert directly the signal of a standard guitar without the need of having GK3 and hexaphonic  pickup.

I like to use the GR55 in this way but is annoying to have to access directly the unit to change the program. Also using the footswitches of GR55 only are able to change 3 patches with your foot in the same bank. Thats why I'm going to add and extra box to my pedalboard with S1/S2 footswitch controller. Very easy with the help of people of this fórum ( thanks admsustainiac !), cheap and useful for me.

Regards.
Antonio