GP-10 - Boss Tone Librarian playback?

Started by frummox, May 12, 2016, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frummox

Is there any way to play a sample of a sound while inside the Boss Tone Librarian (to quickly check it out) or must I load it and play it on my instrument to hear it? Thanks.

admin

QuoteIs there any way to play a sample of a sound while inside the Boss Tone Librarian (to quickly check it out) or must I load it and play it on my instrument to hear it? Thanks.

You can open the patch in Boss Tone Studio and review the settings

But you need to have the genuine Boss hardware box connected to hear the patch.

frummox

Actually, that's what I meant. With the GP-10 hardware connected via USB to my Mac and Boss Tone Studio open on the Mac is there a quick way to literally play a sound in the Librarian without actually loading the patch on the GP-10? Some sort of quick way to sample sounds, some kind of player.

Autana

Quote from: frummox on May 13, 2016, 05:05:52 AM
Some sort of quick way to sample sounds, some kind of player.

You can't listen a patch without load it in GP-10, that would go beyond the concept and definition of what a tone / patch / sound / preset editor such as BOSS TONE STUDIO is, no a virtual tone generator. The GP-10 patch complete set of parameters selected from your Library Live Sets will be load temporarily in the GP-10 edit buffer without need to store it permanently in one of the 99 physical memory slots in GP-10 bank, but you will need your GP-10 connected in order to audition the patch. 

NOTE: from version 1.1.0 Boss Tone Studio for GP-10 included a new "Offline Mode" for reviewing GP-10 patch settings with not need GP-10 hardware being connected, but even in this mode, patches can't sound.

It is different when we talk about virtual emulation systems, such as virtual synthesizers, simulators amplifiers and effects, which are designed to be stand-alone applications inside your computer, some of them have a "LISTEN" button, which lets you audition the sound or chosen patch, you wont need external hardware sound source, only the CPU and software, and your instrument external controller.
this leads to next tip which could come in handy as work-around.

Pre-recorded guitar tracks for audition PG-10 patches:
When I want to audition a considerable amount of patches, collections or long Live Sets, I use my DAW with the GP-10 acting as a sound interface (USB). Then I record some guitar tracks. Depending on the type and style of patch, I can use those previously recorded tracks as "patch testing" samples.
For example a track with  single note guitar for lead patches, another one with chords or progression for background sounds or pads, one for riffs, bass, etc.  When you switch the patches from LIVE SET list, the guitar track must be playing in loop in your DAW, so that you not have to play guitar, just leave those pre-recorded tracks playing in background while you load and check your GP-10 patches.
Pay atention to the difference of the signal path when you record guitar in DAW with GP-10 as audio interface:

GP-10 six settings in the difference of the signal path is "STANDARD", "MIX", "DRY-GUITAR", "RE-GUITAR / AMP I," "RE-GUITAR / AMP II," "DIRECT OFF".
By the way, you can not use the normal pick-up in the "RE-GUITAR / AMP I," "RE-GUITAR / AMP II".

"STANDARD" and "MIX"

"DRY-GUITAR" and "RE-GUITAR / AMP I"

"RE-GUITAR / AMP II" and "DIRECT OFF"

Also read:
GP-10 - Lazy patch creations with Re-Guitar USB RECORDING
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17146.msg122585#msg122585

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

frummox

Thanks Autana, Yep, I was hoping for some sort of method to simply audition without opening up a DAW. Guess not.

Autana

Quote from: frummox on May 13, 2016, 09:42:38 AM
Thanks Autana, Yep, I was hoping for some sort of method to simply audition without opening up a DAW. Guess not.

I get you, who would not want it, me included.  Another good one for the "Wish List" big bible  ;)
As we all know,  BOSS TONE STUDIO for GP-10 and other BOSS devices as well, includes CENTRAL TONE with a number of libraries from known artists , with patches audio samples so you choose to your taste. This is obviously part of the sub-system programming inside BOSS TONE STUDIO within ADOBE AIR whose code the rest of mortals like us we have no access. However, it is a common practice here in VGF from patches contributors to include audio examples in order to have an idea of how the patch sound,  even sometimes with detailed explanations, which represents a significant effort of patch designers, and do not need the GP-10 connected. FWIW at least we have that for now, until someone can create a quick patch player.

And it would be definitive great if we could access to do this:

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

frummox

Autana-- When I posted here I also contacted Roland directly. After some confusion they confirmed that there really isn't an audition function, you actually have to play the patch on your instrument. But I also had one other wrong assumption--that I would have to actually load a patch into the Editor and then play it to hear it. By simply selecting the patch in the Librarian when the GP-10 is connected to my Mac I can play the patch without loading it into the Editor. One less step when I'm simply messing about with the GP-10. (Today's science experiment will be to play the GP-10 through my Yahmaha stereo near filed monitors instead of my Princeton clone to see if the patches sound better)

Elantric

Quote(Today's science experiment will be to play the GP-10 through my Yahmaha stereo near filed monitors instead of my Princeton clone to see if the patches sound better)

Be sure the GP-10 Output Select mode is on "LINE/PHONES" setting when feeding near field studio monitors

Autana

Quote from: frummox on May 19, 2016, 09:01:05 AM
Autana-- When I posted here I also contacted Roland directly. After some confusion they confirmed that there really isn't an audition function, you actually have to play the patch on your instrument. But I also had one other wrong assumption--that I would have to actually load a patch into the Editor and then play it to hear it. By simply selecting the patch in the Librarian when the GP-10 is connected to my Mac I can play the patch without loading it into the Editor.

Yes, true, it would be very desirable to listening without connecting, another paragraph for the wish book, good is we at least can load patches from the library without saving to memory. I presume if this feature would be possible, sound check without connecting the device, Roland would not include it as a simple and gray feature in BTS, rather they could announce with great fanfare, something like "GP-10SS" GP-V Soft Synth, the essential virtual GP-10 emulator for PC/MAC

QuoteOne less step when I'm simply messing about with the GP-10. (Today's science experiment will be to play the GP-10 through my Yahmaha stereo near filed monitors instead of my Princeton clone to see if the patches sound better)

Talking about experiment, if you had not done before, with studio or HI-FI monitors possibly you will discover some textures and frequencies will come to light or will sound richer than an normal gtr amp. Especially with GP-10 synthesizer based patches like: OSC SYNTH, GR-300 and WAVE SYNTH and POLY FX. Only by listening in stereo could provides a spatial dimension, a dramatically different experience. Just follow the advice of Elantric on GP-10 Output Select mode as "LINE / PHONES". Good luck.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -