GP-10 - Re-guitar/Re-amping / Guitar to MIDI

Started by AlexBumblebee, October 20, 2015, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexBumblebee

Hi there!
Guys, can you tell me how to use usb audio with my presonus studio one?
I want to use re-amp function as simple as with guitar rig.
Do i have to use my gp-10 as audio audiointerface?

47Flyer

Hey Alex.  Wish I could help you but I'm in the same boat.  Using Studio one with a nectar keyboard but trying to get Studio One to recognize my GP-10.  I think that Elantric has some experience with Studio one.  Hoping that somebody gives you some pointers so that I can learn too.

Elantric

! No longer available
Alex Hutchings and Jay from Boss look at using the Boss GP-10 as an audio and MIDI recording device. The GP-10 has the ability to re-amp, re-guitar, play soft synths and score your music demonstrated by building up a track in Logic
QuoteHi Alex, great video. Unfortunately I cant get the reamping function to work. First I record dry in Logic pro X, then I select reamping 1 or 2. (both with the gp10 editor). The sound doesn't change. recording 8 different input works. Can you please explain step by step? thanks Caren

Do not use the Boss Tone Studio to switch USB settings. Do it directly on the GP-10, because they don't communicate when you're in GP-10 Daw mode.

Read the "README" file in the GP-10 USB Driver
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11568.0

QuoteAudio Playback/Recording devices

Of the total audio input/output channels provided by the GP-10, there are 8 INs and 8 OUTs
You can use the Playback/Recording devices shown below.

[Playback devices]
OUT (GP-10)
GK 1-2 (GP-10)
GK 3-4 (GP-10)
GK 5-6 (GP-10)
*   If you've specified a different name in the "Sound" settings of the Control Panel, the name you specified will be displayed.

[Recording devices]
IN (GP-10)
GK 1-2 (GP-10)
GK 3-4 (GP-10)
GK 5-6 (GP-10)
*   If you've specified a different name in the "Sound" settings of the Control Panel, the name you specified will be displayed.

Setting the playback/recording device in Windows

Set GP-10 as the default device to allow its use in "Groove Music" and Windows Media Player.

GP-10 allows for recording each string as a separate Audio track in your DAW  - then hit rewind, and then "play back" your DAW recorded tracks back into the GP-10  - for "Re-Guitaring"

( similar to the concepts explained here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25086.msg182164#msg182164

47Flyer

Alex,

I was able to connect my GP-10 to Presonus Studio One.  The way that I did it was to select the GP-10 as the Audio device and then assigned mono channels for each of the strings.  Studio one will display the 8 possible inputs for the GP-10.  I was then able to record each string as a seperate channel and all strings as the L+R inputs.  I was also able to use the GuitarRig as a plug in for any and all channels.  I was using midi channel 1 and dry guitar setting on the GP-10.  Very cool so far.  What I'm still trying to figure out is how to get the guitar to drive the soft synths or to score midi tracks.  The Alex Hutchings video shows that it can be done but doesn't really explain how to do it.  I will have to read more about how Studio One does this, but for now I at least have audio tracks.  GP-10 is sometimes recognized as an instrument but I can't get it to do anything in that respect.

Elantric

QuoteWhat I'm still trying to figure out is how to get the guitar to drive the soft synths or to score midi tracks

On the GP-10 - you must 1st enable MIDI Note Transmission (its Off by default)

See GP-10 Owners Manual Page 13
Guitar Performance MIDI Output Settings (MIDI: )
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/63181352/GP-10_e02_W.pdf

Shawn_B's GR-55 Setup doc 100% applies to the GP-10 Guitar to MIDI performance settings ( must read) for understanding low velocity cut settings, string sensitivity, etc.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=31

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=31

47Flyer

Thanks to Elantric for his patience and advice.  I finally figured out what I was doing wrong while trying to connect the GP-10 to Presonus Studio One.  By using the GP-10 as the default audio device I was able to get audio tracks for each string in the DAW.  The problem was that I could not get midi input.  After reading Elantric's post and all of the referenced documents I set up the GP-10 midi exactly the way it needed to be setup.  The problem was not with the GP-10.  It was my misunderstanding of Studio One.  I was trying to assign the GP-10 as a "New Instrument" for the external devices.  After some experimentation I realized that I had to assign the GP-10 as a "New Keyboard" to get it to function as a midi input device.  Once I did that I was able to drive all of the soft synths with the guitar running through the GP-10.  Yeah!  This has opened up a new world of possibilities for recording in Studio One.  So Alex, do that and it should work like a charm.

AlexBumblebee

Quote from: 47Flyer on October 22, 2015, 05:39:06 AM
Thanks to Elantric for his patience and advice.  I finally figured out what I was doing wrong while trying to connect the GP-10 to Presonus Studio One.  By using the GP-10 as the default audio device I was able to get audio tracks for each string in the DAW.  The problem was that I could not get midi input.  After reading Elantric's post and all of the referenced documents I set up the GP-10 midi exactly the way it needed to be setup.  The problem was not with the GP-10.  It was my misunderstanding of Studio One.  I was trying to assign the GP-10 as a "New Instrument" for the external devices.  After some experimentation I realized that I had to assign the GP-10 as a "New Keyboard" to get it to function as a midi input device.  Once I did that I was able to drive all of the soft synths with the guitar running through the GP-10.  Yeah!  This has opened up a new world of possibilities for recording in Studio One.  So Alex, do that and it should work like a charm.

Thanks a lot!  I will try today. Wish it will give me limitless posibilities with my studio guitar sound!

Autana

GP-10 REAMP mode is a fantastic feature inviting to explore infinite possibilities. But I have just a problem with it.
AFAIK it seems there is no way to return the six strings already processed from the GP-10 to DAW in order to get a full rendered stereo track (Audio Export) at least not with the same DAW.

When I rendered my work (ExportAudio) in my DAW it DOENS'T include the processed six string in the mixdown, only the stereo tracks audio is rendered, and I have to use other application simultaneously for record my DAW output of the six strings GP-10 processed, by playing the sequence in real time from the DAW while the external apps is recording on the fly, this apps have to be configured to GP-10 input in the I/O driver setting, After I get my guitar audio processed, I load back it to a track in my DAW and render normally in stereo 1/2 output with ExportAudio.

My GP-10 receives the six dry strings signal previously recorded for process (RE-AMP) then I make the effect settings, volume, panning etc. in my GP-10. But it will not return post-processe audio to my DAW all in just one stereo track for rendering.

What should I do to get a full rendering stereo track, including extra audio tracks (voice, synths, drums..) and the processed guitar, using only my DAW/GP-10 driver?
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

There are many modes - and this topic deserves better documentation

I had hoped Roland/Boss would have supplied a "GP-10 Re-Amp / Re-Guitar WorkBook" PDF with step by step instructions by now - looks like we must develop our own

Start here:

Work slow - build confidence

The GP-10 Re-amp  Workflow paradigm is similar to other Boss gear like GT-100/ GT-001

Here is Boss GT-001 Re-amp tutorial
Its in Arabic from Roland Turkey

this might allow more incite on how to do similar procedure with Boss GP010

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on April 11, 2016, 08:39:24 AM
There are many modes - and this topic deserves better documentation

I had hoped Roland/Boss would have supplied a "GP-10 Re-Amping WorkBook" PDF with step by step instructions by now - looks like we must develop our own

Thanks! absolutely, a GP-10 Re-Amping WorkBook is a missed and unjustified omission, and even more being the only Roland/Boss device featuring RE-GUITAR.  I will check the "Turkish" video, but still I continue to researching on this.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

And there is always "Plan B"
http://www.separate-strings.co.uk

sixeight

QuoteWhen I rendered my work (ExportAudio) in my DAW it DOENS'T include the processed six string in the mixdown, only the stereo tracks audio is rendered, and I have to use other application simultaneously for record my DAW output of the six strings GP-10 processed, by playing the sequence in real time from the DAW while the external apps is recording on the fly, this apps have to be configured to GP-10 input in the I/O driver setting, After I get my guitar audio processed, I load back it to a track in my DAW and render normally in stereo 1/2 output with ExportAudio.

I have no experience with ExpertAudio, but shouldn't you record the stereo processed audio to a stereo track in ExpertAudio and then render the Mixdown? You can then mute the six separate strings.

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on April 11, 2016, 09:54:50 AM
And there is always "Plan B"
http://www.separate-strings.co.uk

I dream about the amazing V-Guitar breakbox kit from SS! not just for GP-10, mainly GR-55 and any VG and six string fields likely to be explored.  But it's far beyond my reach and affordability right now.

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Autana

Quote from: sixeight on April 11, 2016, 10:11:17 AM
I have no experience with ExpertAudio, but shouldn't you record the stereo processed audio to a stereo track in ExpertAudio and then render the Mixdown? You can then mute the six separate strings.

Thanks,  "Export Audio Mixdown" is the term for audio rendering in Cubase.

I have good news, I reinstall the GP-10 drivers but the problem remains the same. Then the lightning hit, I delete every Boss Roland gear/software drivers from system, GR-55, GI-20, GT-10, GP-10 and cleaning up the register  remove all traces with Clean-All USB Driver Utility, then reinstall GP-10 only, I loaded Cubase and Boss Tone Studio...voila! now  GP-10 driver is working fine with any DAW! the previously not working INPUT 1/2 is now receiving reamp processed audio from GP-10 in RE-GUITAR/AMP I mode in my Cubase. This allows to make a 6strng/normPU altogether mixdown track in real time. However offline six/strg/norPU rendering is not possible, I think because GP-10 is not integrated to the DAW "mathematical" engine like an internal plugin does.  As sixeight quoted, the solution is record the stereo processed audio to a stereo track and then render the Mixdown, I tried that before, but some driver annoyance halted it. Anyway, I begin to see light at end of tunnel.

I will try to post a summary of my researching asap. Maybe we can go developing a "GP-10 RE GUITAR / AMP" guide. And send it to Roland Boss with a pepper candy and "Wish List" vol. 1 attached

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

Autana - thanks for reporting the status of your progress on GP-10  - Re-guitar/Re-amping!

imyourcluster

Quote from: Elantric on April 11, 2016, 08:39:24 AM

Here is Boss GT-001 Re-amp tutorial - in Italian

this might allow more incite on how to do similar procedure with Boss GP010

I know that after two years it may not be very helpful, but FWIW that tutorial is not in italian language :D (I'm italian)

admin

Quote from: imyourcluster on July 09, 2018, 12:02:24 PM

I know that after two years it may not be very helpful, but FWIW that tutorial is not in italian language :D (I'm italian)

Its in Arabic from Roland Turkey

Realize the GT-001 only does monophonic "single note only ( no chords) Guitar to MIDI

while the GP-10 does full Guitar to MIDI with one MIDI channel per string to support individual string bending / vibratos

Rei

Quote from: AlexBumblebee on October 26, 2015, 06:59:11 AM
Thanks a lot!  I will try today. Wish it will give me limitless posibilities with my studio guitar sound!

Devi semplicemente registrare ANCHE l'uscita normale (processata) del GP10 ;-) con le 6 IN/OUT fai il reamp e il mix down sarà quello delle tracce della tua DAW compresa la traccia stereo standard del GP10..

QuoteYou just have to ALSO record the normal (processed) output of the GP10 ;-) with the 6 IN / OUT you do the reamp and the mix down will be that of the tracks of your DAW including the standard stereo track of the GP10.

Rei