GP-10 - GUMTOWN'S BOSS GP-10 EDIT PATCH EDITOR

Started by Elantric, June 30, 2015, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbo

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on July 03, 2015, 08:51:21 AM
Peter Thanks for the reminder I just sent you PM. Thanks Paul

Hi Paul, can you please check my latest PM to you...need some further info to proceed.
Thanks,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

rolandvg99

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Redvers

How will this improve on the Boss offering?

jwhitcomb3

When I'm using the Boss GP10 editor, one of the features I miss most of Gumtown's GR55 editor is being able to use the clipboards to copy effects blocks from one preset to another.

Elantric

QuoteHow will this improve on the Boss offering?

One major argument in favor of Gumtown's Boss GP-10 Editor will be ability to view / edit  /  reorder GP-10 *.TSL patches without the physical hardware being present and connected.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10862.0

This allows GP-10 patch's to be examined in detail on any Mac/Win PC anywhere / anytime, and will allow VG-99  / GR-55 users to apply the "Patch Cloning" concepts to learn the details of all the resources used for specific GP-10 patches.   

Boss Tone Studio flat wont even launch if the intended Roland/Boss Processor is not connected via USB. Thus the argument in favor of Gumtown's GT-001 and GT-100 Editors over Boss Tone Studio.

Also Gumtown's GP-10 Editor will remove the reliance on the moving target that is Adobe AIR (Required for Boss Tone Studio - - which was IMHO a poor design decision by Roland/ Boss,
http://www.scmagazine.com/adobe-update-patches-nine-vulnerabilities-critical-bugs-in-flash-player/article/392332/

I suppose it could have been worse if they used MS "Silverlight" ) 
https://photosynth.net/discussion.aspx?cat=a6bad539-de7d-4a16-8c4d-b143f7d5f984&dis=f71bade2-2b7a-488e-ac04-587cd3f2bd98

gumbo

"P.S  - I ordered the GP-10 for Gumtown"

Fabulous News!!!!
Thanks Steve!

Peter

gumtown

Cool Thanks !!  :)

Here is an initial concept, playing with the colour scheme, hope it's not too hard on the eyes.
The usual blue scheme will be there too (user preference option)

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Quotehope it's not too hard on the eyes.

For me it is, -Id prefer the old Blue background from the GR-55 Floorboard Editor, or a dark Orange

But cant wait for this app - it should help folks wrap their brain around the immense capabilities of the GP-10, and have an easier time editing  / creating GP-10 patches

Your GP-10 will be sent to you later this week.

CodeSmart

I believe in dark orange, this is a bit bright.

Its amazing, you can spend years and years developing something very complicated and in the end the only thing the customer/user comments on is the color, shape and price. That's the universal truth of mankind  ::)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumbo

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 07, 2015, 01:39:34 AM
I believe in dark orange, this is a bit bright.

Its amazing, you can spend years and years developing something very complicated and in the end the only thing the customer/user comments on is the color, shape and price. That's the universal truth of mankind  ::)

Yeah...    ;)
+1 to both of you!
Peter

rolandvg99

One feature that would be awesome is the ability to use the editor as an expanded interface for MIDI remote control. That aside: I can hardly wait.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

whippinpost91850

whippinpost91850

gvidelock

$50 sent to digitar55 for the effort!

Gumtown, thanks for the excellent work, I can't wait to use it!
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

Elantric

This all helps.

gumbo

Quote from: Elantric on July 07, 2015, 05:30:01 PM

Reviewing the Customs declaration forms
http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/mo_024.htm

Wow!!   :o   Is it worth checking if it's cheaper to send the $$ to gumtown & he buys one locally??? 
..(just a wayward thought at the end of the day here)....   ;)

Peter

gumtown

The price here is not that great..
keep in mind the exchange rate  is $1.00USD = $1.50NZD
http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guitars/boss-gp10s-guitar-processor-excl-gk3-pickup.html

meanwhile...
The system exclusive midi data structure of the GP-10 is quite 'out of this world', very different from other recent Roland/Boss gear.
Instead of the midi data being in large size chunks, the data is in very small packets grouped together.
It has a lot of stuff packed inside the GP-10 midi specification (although it is a bit incomplete - no Assign Target list).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Hmm..  yeah, see what you mean..    :P

I got mine (INC GK3 Pickup and cable) for $525(OzBux) off the net including freight from ACT to SA...musta done well !

Incidentally, my Roland Corporation Australia email this evening entitled:
"New Products Annouced from Roland and Boss!"  (THEIR spelling, not mine...)
...makes absolutely NO mention of the SY300..   

sigh..

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: gumtown on July 08, 2015, 01:37:43 AM
meanwhile...
The system exclusive midi data structure of the GP-10 is quite 'out of this world', very different from other recent Roland/Boss gear.
Instead of the midi data being in large size chunks, the data is in very small packets grouped together.
It has a lot of stuff packed inside the GP-10 midi specification (although it is a bit incomplete - no Assign Target list).
That would make sense, as the GP-10 was designed to be edited via computer, while the GR-55 was designed to be edited from the box front panel. So the GR-55 sysex would mostly be tailored for large dumps, while the GP-10 sysex would need to be more nimble, for example, to track changes on the editor in real time, which would be facilitated by smaller messages.

Out of curiosity, when you store the data received in a sysex message for processing in your editors, do you unpack it from transmitted form and store it in a more compact form, and then re-pack it for transmitting, or do you store it in transmit message format (e.g., with data bytes all having 0 MSB) and unpack/pack as you manipulate it?

For those unfamiliar with MIDI System Exclusive, while most data is stored internally and used in 8 bit chunks, it is transmitted in 7 bit chunks. That can make the data that is transmitted unwieldy, as the 8 bit data is broken up and/or smeared across 7 bit transmitted bytes (the most significant byte is always 0 in MIDI messages, except for "control bytes").

In the 60+ MIDI editors I wrote (for MOTU's Unisyn), I always unpacked the transmit data for internal storage (the packing/unpacking was built-in to the transmit/receive primitives). However, some editors store the data as transmitted, which I find to be cumbersome.

Elantric

Update:

Thanks to all the folks who contributed $$ to fund the purchase of a Boss GP-10 for Gumtown to pursue creating an Editor ( see prior posts above)

We raised $400 USD and after today's conversation with Gumtown, we believe the best course of action is for me to transfer $450 USD direct to Gumtowns paypal account.
This should net Gumtown roughly $637 New Zealand Dollars, so he may purchase a new Boss GP-10 locally in New Zealand, and have full warranty and support the local economy down under.

Anyone who wishes to contribute more funds to support the ongoing effort to create a bug free  "Gumtown's GP-10 Guitar Synth Editor"  or the new "Gumtown's SY-300 Guitar Synth Editor" should contribute via Gumtown's paypal account:

Gumtown Donate Link Here

gumtown

Out of curiosity, when you store the data received in a sysex message for processing in your editors, do you unpack it from transmitted form and store it in a more compact form, and then re-pack it for transmitting, or do you store it in transmit message format (e.g., with data bytes all having 0 MSB) and unpack/pack as you manipulate it?
I usually keep the received sysx data in the transmission form, sysx structures that send packets at 128 bytes (+ overheads) of less, but at around 2010 Roland started sending sysx data in 253 byte chuncks, which meant breaking down the data and reformatting into 128 byte units for internal use, it would then send the data back to the unit in the new format when required.
The data in the editor is structured in 128 byte (7bit) addresses in most cases, a 2 byte LSB address, but because the GP-10 has so many fragments, it will be 3 byte addressing.
The GR-55 was a real headache which must strange internal sysx data formatting of the parameters, many using 2 or 3 bytes, but only using a nibble from each byte (0~F), and many parameters centred with '0' at 400H, and other parameters at the usual 0~100.

The heart of the editors is both a sysx file (a patch file) which gives the default settings, and a matching XML structure document with all parameters layout in the addresses and parameter names and data ranges (00/64/0/100ms).
I guess you could simplistically think of looking a patch midi dump in a text editor with a new line for each new packet, with then left justified, a mask could be laid over the 4 byte address ranges and another mask over the actual parameter data, when an editor knob changes a specific parameter the data address is looked up and the data is cross referenced and found and the value modified, at the same time that parameter is sent for processing with a sysx header, address, checksum, and sent out of the midi port (or midi over USB).

As for the latest tone Studio editor patch file formats, I am not sure why they have gone the direction of the *.tsl file (which is a JSON format).
The patch files are huge, and it would have made sense to be able to read patch files for different devices and extract the relevant data for that device, as they use a descriptive text format for each parameter, but they have no naming consistency between different products.

gumtown

And here it is,
a very big THANK YOU !! for your support.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Now it's down to business extracting the technical secrets from the GP-10

mchad

Elantric

Congratulations!
A proud moment for all Boss GP-10 owners.
The power of crowd funding

once you have time to breath.

Care to create a Roland FC300 Floorboard Editor for Win/OSX ?
(there's a genuine need for this and captive audience here)
We' can buy you one of those too ;)