Modeling and Midi Guitar series video - Helix with Tripleplay, Variax, Cantabile

Started by germanicus, February 07, 2018, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanicus

I put together a new video discussing the use of a Helix as the controller for a midi guitar rig.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

ITL

Great Job!  I was thinking of putting a system together very similar to this, except using a MacBook Pro and Mainstage. I have to sell my Axe-FX II  first and get a Helix.  I would also be interested in seeing if you put together even a smaller footprint rig, using FTP and a iPad.
LGXTSA, Godin Session Custom TriplePlay w/ Fishman Piezo, JTVariax59, Axe-FXII, Integra 7, Motif XS, VoiceLive 3

germanicus

Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge I don't believe an Ipad can use a helix as a USB audio/Midi interface device, but I don't have an Ipad.

There are many folks using Ipad's with tripleplay however, and it certainly offers a very portable package.

Elantric posted a video of someone using one with a Helix, but they are using the aux input, and there is no midi control between the two (so no footswitch control of the soft synths from the helix). I suppose you could however use the 5 pin midi outs of the Helix and then somehow get that into the Ipad, but at that point you would have 3 different cables into/out of the ipad (Tripleplay, Audio out, Midi in). A laptop is bulkier, but you only need the single USB cable between it and the Helix.

That USB will transmit:

- Midi control messages to the soft synths
- Stream audio from the Helix into the laptop for processing (Cantabile or other VST host program)
- Stream audio from the soft synths to the Helix

Since the Helix also does reamping, it can send a separate dry version of your guitar signal (via USB input/output 7) into the laptop for real time processing through amp/fx vst's (including helix native) and then have that signal sent back out the helix's outputs. Its basically like having a series of virtual helices, limited only by your computers CPU/DSP.

Line 6 had a special deal on Helix Native a while back for only $50 for those who owned a Helix floorboard. Glad I picked it up. You can run multiple simultaneous instantiations in your DAW/VST Host.

Another cool use of those plugins is using it in conjunction with a GP10. Like the helix it does re-amping, but since it additionally does re-guitaring (is that a word?), it is capable of sending (and receiving) each string individually over separate USB pathways. Using this you can output each string through its own instantiation of Helix Native. So you can pitch shift, harmonize, and assign different FX and amp models to each string. You can also use different IR's on each string. This is a massive strain on the system however, so you need a blazing machine. I am still experimenting with it now.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4