Learn Re-Amping

Started by Elantric, June 26, 2017, 01:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

Just one problem with the second video.  The Kemper has options for pure guitar signal without the effects.  So you can record your amp'd signal as well as a dry signal.  So, the guy's entire premise of selling the Kemper because it can't be used for reamping is invalid

Elantric

QuoteThe Kemper has options for pure guitar signal without the effects.

Of course the Kemper is not an audio interface,

the Axe-FX II on the other hand is a very good 24 bit audio interface and has reamping features built in     

( as well as Boss GP-10 that allows both re-amping and re-guitaring , VG-99, GT-100, GT-001, Katana also allow recording both dry guitar and "wet" guitar tracks as same time with just a USB cable to your  computer DAW

thebrushwithin

The Kemper has SPDIF i/o, but operates at 44.1 and must be the master for sync.

scratch17

I own a Radial JDV MK3 (DI box), and an X-Amp (re-amp box). The JDV gives me a split signal that lets me send the direct sound of my guitar to my DAW, and also two outputs with Radial's proprietary drag control for connection to my tube amps. The drag control is a continuously variable load correction circuit. This combination of devices works really well for re-amping.

Were I just starting to look for a re-amping solution, I would also look at the Two Notes Torpedo Reload. The Reload also is a reactive load box and comes with their Wall of Sound guitar cab IR plugin.

Quoting the Two Notes web page:

QuoteThe most difficult part in re-amplification techniques is finding the output level on the DAW that matches the level of your guitar when it is directly connected to the amplifier.

That problem is now solved, thanks to the Reload's unique Function Match.

This Two notes innovation is the solution to the problem of level adjustment when re-amplifying. Match compares the signal as it comes from the guitar (plugged to the DI input) with the signal that has been recorded (and which is sent to the Replay Line Input) so that what you send the amp is the ideal level only. Now you can be sure that the signal you send from the DAW is exactly what your guitar itself would be sending.

I find that with practice, manually matching these levels can be done with some accuracy. But Two Notes' Match technology is probably more precise. Adding the value of the Torpedo's reactive load box and the Cab IR plugin might justify the higher price for the Reload than the JDV / X-Amp combination for some users.

Quoting thebrushwithin:

QuoteThe Kemper has SPDIF i/o, but operates at 44.1 and must be the master for sync.

This is sadly the biggest limitation to the Kemper, IMHO.

However, there is a partial workaround if you own a newer MOTU interface with S/PDIF input. The 1248, and 8D do automatic sample rate conversion at their inputs. So you can set the Kemper to be clock master, and the interface will take the KPA's output at 44.1 khz without sync issues. Then it will convert the 44.1 rate to whatever sample rate the project and the interface is running.
Only the input does sample rate conversion, however.

To truly interface a KPA digitally at both input and output, you need a sample rate converter. The least expensive SRC I have found is the Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496 ($200 retail). I don't have experience with it, but according to it's user manual, it will do the job.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Elantric

QuoteHowever, there is a partial workaround if you own a newer MOTU interface with S/PDIF input. The 1248, and 8D do automatic sample rate conversion at their inputs. So you can set the Kemper to be clock master, and the interface will take the KPA's output at 44.1 khz without sync issues. Then it will convert the 44.1 rate to whatever sample rate the project and the interface is running.
Only the input does sample rate conversion, however.

To truly interface a KPA digitally at both input and output, you need a sample rate converter. The least expensive SRC I have found is the Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496 ($200 retail). I don't have experience with it, but according to it's user manual, it will do the job.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1772363

Elantric

billbax

Thanks Elantric for posting my basic settings with separate strings and re-amping.  As you know, the update is here: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=3d433a6734d127e4bf758ace657783e0&topic=23195.0

Preview.

PDF review. Download available at the above link.

Separate strings track editing - transforming an average v-guitar performance.

Thanks,

Bill

www.separate-strings.co.uk

lespauled

Quote from: thebrushwithin on June 26, 2017, 05:35:04 PM
The Kemper has SPDIF i/o, but operates at 44.1 and must be the master for sync.

The latest Kemper firmware update (currently in beta) allows you to select the spdif rate.