Polk Hitmaster - Nice Stereo Practice amp

Started by Elantric, September 11, 2013, 01:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Polk Hitmaster - Nice Stereo Practice amp for gear we talk about here.
These ceased production in 2010 - as they were focused on the Guitar Hero Market,   but worth locating in the used channel as they have Stereo sound and work well for bedroom level playing.

The Polk Hitmaster speakers never flap and Flub  - even when cranked on full max this little Stereo Amplified speaker faithfully reproduces all tones you can achieve with your VG/GR gear.

I bet you could Mic it in a pro studio and achieve good results too

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/hitmaster
Its rather like a "mini" Traynor K4 - all in one stereo "100 watts". ( FWIW - it feels like a clean 20 watts )There is one 6.5" Woofer, and two 3"x 5" Horn Tweeters driven in Stereo . I just located a used one for $65 and it works rather well for practice and songwriting sessions at remote locations. Much louder than my Roland AC-60 and even my Roland BA-330, and very smooth and flat response. Two Thumbs Up.

Height   9" (22.86cm)
Width   14 1/2" (36.83cm)
Depth   10 1/4" (26.04cm)

Weight 12.75 lbs

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AM2555-A-Hitmaster-Loudspeaker/dp/B0030BERMI

The Polk Audio HitMaster Monitor replicates a classic rock band stage monitor speaker, complete with carpeted baffle and faux-leather exterior. It's awesome for posing like a rock star as you battle your way to victory in today's most exciting rock star games. It's engineered to take advantage of the high quality audio of these new games. The HitMaster's fast response and superior dynamic range takes digital gaming audio to the superstar level. It rocks! 100 Watts of power! (And it really does "go to 11") Hitmaster Back Panel

Headline your way to living-room fame with a mighty 100-Watt (max) onboard amp powering a dynamic Single Point Stereo Array. The 6.5" woofer is tuned with Dynamic Balance Technology, for distortion-free mid-range and low-end even at stadium-rocking volumes. Dual 3x5 professional-style horn tweeters, with efficient Neodemium magnet structures, are aimed to provide incredible details and wide dynamic range. The HitMaster ignites your meteoric rise up the charts.

Melodymann wrote>
QuoteI highly recommend the Yamaha THR5. Great sounding tiny stereo amplifier with amp  sims digital effects etc. very warm sounding, incredible at low-volume. The auxiliary input can be used to amplify the GR 55 in stereo with a very impressive stereo spread. And the USB lets you use the amp as an audio interface for a DAW, all at the same time! Plus it runs on batteries, truly a Swiss Army knife of tiny amps.
I have the THR10 - It has very good amp sims, but it will breakup and distort the Aux/MP3 Input  when THR5/10 is set to highest volumes  levels. While its great for low volume rehearsing, the lack of tweeters in the THR-5/10 mean that the actual Freq response is more in the range of 70-12kHz.
Also FWIW - in a small form factor, the IK iLoud is louder and cleaner with flatter frequency response up to 20kHz, with less bad clipping / distortion at higher decibel levels as exhibited by the Yamaha THR5/10 when the Volume is set above "8"

And all the above are rated below the higher performing Polk Hitmaster.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9459.0

the Hitmaster goes loud enough to fill a room, with no breakup / bad distortion even when set to "11"  !

And I will add a live acoustic drummer will drown out the SPL volume from all the above practice amps mentioned.

giantani

Hi Elantric ! Thanks to you I have a VG 99 , and I´m very happy about it !  ;D

I´m searching important data about VG 99 through the forum and found this topic that adresses exactly what I was searching for - the best amp to use with VG 99...

I was almost buying the Yamaha THR10 or a Fender G-dec3 Thirty 30w when I found the info you wrote.

THR10 seems to be very good when playing at very low volumes, while Fender can add some pre recorded sounds (fun to do small presentations to friends) but Im very excited about the Polk Hitmaster and found one in Brazil... so I´m thinking to buy it.

But I have some doubts, and would be pleased if you could orientate me ...

I live in a building with very thin walls (terrible) and I don´t want to bother anybody, so, can I use the Polk Hitmaster with very low volume and still has a good quality sound like the THR10 ?

Sorry about my complete lack of knowledge but what kind of cables/connection should I use between Polk Hitmaster & VG 99 ?

As I told in presentation topic, my idea is to be using VG 99 at home, also doing some recordings and playing at small places...

Thanks a lot once more !!

Elantric

QuoteI live in a building with very thin walls (terrible) and I don´t want to bother anybody, so, can I use the Polk Hitmaster with very low volume and still has a good quality sound like the THR10 ?

Compared to THR-10  - The Polk HitMaster will deliver superior results for use with VG-99 - its a real nice small practice amp and higher fidelity than THR10

I typically set the VG-99 Output mode to "Line / Phones, feed the headphone out on VG-99 ( or GR-55 or GP-10) into the 3.5mm TRS headphone input on rear "Aux In on the  Polk HitMaster

I will also use a Belkin Rockstar passive stereo mixer into the HitmAster Aux Input  - to play VG-99 along with backing tracks or my Ipad synths from FTP

Polk Hitmaster has Nice bass response, good sounding practice amp , and adjustable for bedroom  / apartment.

Ive even played a solo coffeehouse gig and it was perfect volume to accompany non-amplified acoustic instruments     

The only other small stereo amp in this same range i recommend highly is the IK Multimedia Iloud - I actually use the iLoud a lot more than the others - because its a bit smaller - just dont misplace the large Power Brick Charger for iLoud !   

giantani

Elantric you are Great !! Thank you !

Im considering the 2 options - Polk Hitmaster & Iloud

Please if I adopt Iloud & Belkin Rockstar (I already have an Ipad) can I build a setup using: Guitar + VG 99 / Microphone + RP12?

In such way that I could play and sing, having some drums, keyboard, bass, pre recorded on Ipad... this would work fine? Or do I need something else?

Elantric

QuoteMicrophone

If you need a Mic, skip the RP-12 and find a gently used Digitech GNX3000 with XLR Mic Pre  instead
http://digitech.com/en-US/products/gnx3000

( these work as 24 bit ipad audio interface too - as long as you use IOS7 on iPad.

or
Skip the Belkin Rockstar and find a small Behringer  / Alto/ Phonic  / Mixer with XLR Mic Pre is what you need

giantani

Elantric thanks a lot my friend !!

Your advices are really great ! Ok, I will have GNX3000 on my mind ! The only problem is that I already spent some good money on VG 99, audio technica headphones and also considering that I need to buy asap Iloud... (for it versatility/handling over Polk HitMaster)

If I will postpone GNX3000 buying, can I still use (for now) that setup (Guitar + VG 99 / Microphone + RP12) ? In this case do I need the Belkin Rockstar to be able to connect both (guitar/mic) on Iloud?

Thanks once more !!   

Elantric

VG-99 and Ipad and other audio gear can all work with Belkin Rockstar splitter/Mixer and feed  iLoud.

The problem is Microphone.

So then just pursue a small mixer with Mic XLR Input to feed iLoud.

giantani

Elantric, I forgot to tell you ... I have this pre - http://www.presonus.com/products/BlueTube-DP-v2

I used this pre to connect my mic into audiophile 24/96 card on my PC ... so, what do you think ?

mic - presonus - RP12 - Belkin - Iloud
guitar - VG 99 - Belkin - Iloud

Elantric

That will work from Blue Tube 1/4" Out with a small 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter cable  to feed the Belkin Rockstar-

Rockstar then feeds the iLoud

giantani

Fantastic my friend !!!

I found this:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-603376145-kit-cabos-ikmultimidia-rca-p2-splitter-separador-e-mais--_JM#questionText

I don´t have enough words to express my gratitude for all your attention ! Thanks a LOT !!!