Positive Grid "SPARK" Smart Practice Guitar Amp & App.

Started by admin, December 03, 2019, 09:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.positivegrid.com/spark
Positive Grid Spark Stereo Amp  (40 watts( 20watts per side)
* 4 inch Stereo FRFR Speakers
* 24 bit USB Audio interface
* Bluetooth  / Aux In jam capabilities
* with Studio one recording software
* Play-along functionality with songs on Spotify/YouTube
* Auto Chord calculator for learning songs
Positive Grid announces Spark, a smart guitar amp and accompanying app (iOS/Android) driven by intelligent technology to offer real-time Smart Jam accompaniment, Auto Chord detection and intuitive practice features for players of all levels. Spark also functions as a full-range, 40-Watt combo amp and features a variety of tone-shaping options plus amp and fx modeling built upon the company's award-winning BIAS engine.High value pre-order limited specials for Spark are available now.

Guitarists can play and practice using the Spark's Auto Chord feature to access millions of songs on popular streaming platforms like Spotify, YouTube and Apple Music. The Spark app automatically analyzes and displays chords for millions of songs in real time, and its easy-to-use controls let the player slow down the song's tempo or loop a difficult section to practice.

Jamming is easy and fun with Spark's Smart Jam feature. The Spark amp and app work together to learn the player's style and feel, and then automatically generate bass and drum accompaniments that act like a virtual band – anytime, anywhere. Best of all, the Spark app can be used without lifting a finger. It responds to a variety of voice commands to stream a rock song or a blues backing track, ask for a virtual band to follow the user's playing, and more.

As a guitar amp, Spark features a deep, loud and immersive speaker design with two custom-designed speakers and a tuned bass-reflex port that are engineered to provide deep, full-sounding basses and crystal-clear highs for every style of music.

Spark also boasts a full amp modeling and multi-effects engine powered by Positive Grid's award-winning BIAS tone engine to provide realistic virtual tube amps and effects. Players can dial in pristine melodies, crunchy chords or soaring leads for electric guitar; deep, thunderous tones for bass; and a bright and full-bodied sound for acoustic guitar. Players have access to over 10,000 guitar and bass amp-and-FX programs from famous guitarists, session players, studio engineers and producers from around the world via Positive Grid's ToneCloud community.

For added versatility and authentic feel, Spark also has bass, mid and treble tone stack controls; dedicated knobs for mod, delay and reverb effects; a built-in tuner and tap tempo; plus Bluetooth connectivity for streaming music in hi def audio via the Spark app. You can easily load up to four custom amp-and-FX setups into the Spark amp's user program locations for instant access to your favorite sounds.

Spark can be used as a USB audio interface for easily recording on a computer. It even comes with PreSonus Studio One Prime recording software for free, allowing players to get started right out of the box.

AUDIO SPECIFICATIONS
FREQUENCY RANGE
20-20,000 Hz
STEREO/MONO
Stereo
MAXIMUM SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
116 dB SPL @1m
CABINET PRINCIPLE
Bass-reflex
POWER AMPLIFIERS
40 Watt Class D Amplifier
SPEAKERS
Two - 4" Custom Designed Speakers
TOTAL IMPEDANCE
4 ohms
POWER
MAINS INPUT VOLTAGE
100 - 240 V
MAINS FREQUENCY
50/60 Hz
CONTROLS AND CONNECTIVITY
TOP PANEL CONTROLS
Amp Type
Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Master, Mod, Delay, Reverb
Output Volume
Music Volume
Four Programmable Preset Buttons
Tap/Tuner Button
ONBOARD EFFECTS
30 Amp Models
40 Effects
(Noise Gate, Compressor, Distortion, Modulation, Delay, Reverb)
WIRED CONNECTIVITY
1/4" Guitar Input
1/8" Aux Input
1/8" Headphone
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY
Bluetooth Audio
USB AUDIO
USB Interface for Recording
2 In x 2 Out
INCLUDED IN THE BOX
BOX CONTENTS
Spark Amplifier
Power Adaptor
USB Cable
Quick Start Guide
Free Studio One Prime
PHYSICAL UNIT
DIMENSIONS
350 x 180 x 190 mm
(13.78 x 7.08 x 7.48 in)
WEIGHT
5.2 kg
11.46 lb
COVERING
Black Textured Vinyl
GRILLE CLOTH
Custom Black/Brown
HANDLE
Removable Leather Handle
SOFTWARE
MOBILE APPS
Spark App for iOS and Android

admin

early press release ( beta tester)  ( Russia)
http://guitarblog.ru/Positive-Grid-Spark/
POSITIVE GRID SPARK

Positive Grid has announced the Spark home multimedia guitar combo.

Spark translates to the great and mighty, like Spark, and this novelty already prophesies the fame of the Yamaha THR killer , because at a much lower price, Positive Grid has ten cool features. As Comrade Ulyanov-Lenin said: "Flames are ignited from a suit" and the Yamaha dictatorship will be overthrown, like Kerensky's interim government.

The design of the Spark amplifier looks very stylish and solid, like any other Positive Grid product. The controls are similar to THR,  there is a tuner, and the effects of modulation, delay and reverb are controlled by separate knobs. The power of the amplifier is 40W. As for the functionality ...

Positive Grid Spark allows you to download images of amplifiers and lotions from the Tone Cloud; today, this library contains more than 10,000  patches .
Tone Cloud gets presets created in Positive Grid Bias Amp Bias Pedal applications , including using Tone Matching cloning .

The amplifier can be controlled by voice commands. Of course, it is not the combo himself who receives the commands, but the smartphone or tablet that controls the amp through the air.

The separate Spark mobile application also lays out any song from iTunes, Spotify or Youtube to chords, displaying them on the screen of a smartphone or tablet. The program dealt with the Blood Group instantly, but on Doo Ter Tam it took half a minute. The application even finds lyrics, and also offers songs with a similar chord sequence. In addition, the application has a game reminiscent of Guitar Hero or even rather Rocksmith and access to huge libraries of video tutorials.

The Smart Jam application, which should appear in the AppStore and Google Play in the near future, and while it is being moderated, will allow you to create a virtual Rome section, like the one implemented in the Digitech Trio pedal , which adapts to your harmony and style.

In addition, Positive Grid Spark can be used as a USB audio interface for recording to a computer. The combo box comes with the free PreSonus Studio One Prime licensed program.

admin

azzurro

This looks like a really cool new system.
Does anyone have any experience of this yet or any "hands-on" review?

admin

QuoteDear Spark Power Supporter,

We've heard your questions and concerns related to shipping and would like to provide clear and honest communications so you know what to expect. This message is an update related to your Spark order.

We are a few weeks delayed from our original estimated ship dates that are posted on our website (www.positivegrid.com/spark). Why the delay? The response to Spark has gone way beyond what we anticipated for pre-orders. Your overwhelming interest and support of Spark created a unique situation where we had to make major updates to our original production plan. Those changes created a production delay of a few short weeks. We sincerely apologize for the delay and we appreciate your patience. We are confident you will agree that Spark is worth the slight delay after you receive your Spark order.

Our team has been hard at work through the holiday season to ensure Spark units are shipped as quickly as possible. The original shipping estimate for your Spark order was January 2020. We anticipate your Spark order will ship by the end of February.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know by writing to us at support@positivegrid.com.

Thanks again for your continued support and excitement about Spark. We can't wait for you to get your hands on your Spark!

- The Spark Team

admin

Positive Grid  "SPARK"  - Android Early Access

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.positivegrid.spark&hl=en_US

*THIS APP REQUIRES SPARK SMART AMP*

The smart amp and app that jam along with you using intelligent technology. Play and practice with millions of songs and access over 10,000 tones powered by our award-winning BIAS tone engine.

*Smart Jam*
The Spark amp and app work together to learn your style and feel, and then generate authentic bass and drums to accompany you. It's a smart virtual band that goes wherever you go!

*Auto Chords*
Automatically display chords for millions of songs.
Choose any song, and Spark will auto display its chords in real-time as you play. Easy controls let you slow down the song's tempo or loop a difficult section as you master playing it.

*Voice Command*
The Spark app responds to your voice commands. Tell it to stream a rock song or a blues backing track, or ask for a virtual band to follow your playing.

*Tone Engine*
Whether you play pristine melodies, crunchy chords or soaring leads, Spark gives you a full amp modeling and multi-effects engine, powered by Positive Grid's state-of-the-art BIAS with the most realistic virtual tube amps and effects on the planet.

*10,000+ Tones*
The Spark app provides over 10,000 killer guitar and bass amp -and-FX presets from famous guitarists, professional session players, expert studio engineers and hit-making producers from around the world.
WHAT'S NEW
- Fine-tune UI for Jam page
- Fix several crashes
- Add firmware update flow
- Update App background image
- Update new quick jam genre

Updated
January 20, 2020
Size
83M
Installs
10+
Current Version
Requires Android
5.1 and up
Content Rating
Everyone
Learn More
Permissions
View details
Flag as inappropriate
Offered By
Positive Grid Inc
Developer
Visit website
service@positivegrid.com
Privacy Policy

admin

admin

I never got an email - but this is the entire message posted to their Facebook group

QuoteUpdate on Spark:

First off, we want to thank you all for your patience as our team work tirelessly day and night to get Spark delivered to you. Now, we're thrilled to report that the first batch of Spark units are currently en route to our warehouse where they'll be prepped for shipment.

If you're a (Group#1) Super Early or (Group#2) Early Bird supporter, you can expect your order to be shipped in the first week of February. A notification email with a tracking code will be sent to you once your order has been shipped.

Again, we want to thank you for the overwhelming support and the excitement you've shared with us. We're super excited for you to get your hands on Spark!

For the latest on Spark, please visit:
https://www.positivegrid.com/spark#updates

If you have any questions, please contact us:
https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Look at your Invoice to know  which group you are in
Apparently I'm in "Group #3 Power supporter"( Ordered 11/29/2019)

Group 1. Super early bird>
Group 2. Early bird>
Group 3. Power supporter>
Group 4. Players special.

Only Group 1 and Group 2 are shipping at this time

(Look at your invoice to determine which Group you are in )

And Group #3  Power supporter,
Group # 4. Players special
those are still in China, where they are closed a couple weeks for New Year celebrations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year

and of course possible new additional 2 weeks added for  Corona Virus quarantine on product from China in USA
https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-quarantine-will-ripple-through-global-manufacturing-11580458591

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Wuhan_coronavirus_outbreak_by_country_and_territory

So I figure April 2020 is my new ETA

admin

Recent Spark app on Android now working

Mrchevy

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

admin

Just got this email as a "Group #3 Power Supporter" ( Ordered Nov. 30, 2019 )

Dear Spark Power Supporter,

We're writing to share some updates about your Spark amp and app. As you may know, Spark has been a runaway success, with now over 20,000 pre-orders and a slew of positive feedback from the media, YouTubers and more. In fact, we just unveiled Spark at the NAMM Show in January where it was awarded the "Best Guitar Amp at NAMM" from MusicRadar.

We know you've been waiting for your Spark, and we're sure what you really want to know is, "When will I get mine?" Here's what's happening. The popularity of Spark has exceeded our expectations and the large quantity of orders has resulted in a shortage of an essential component. The good news is we've been able to re-source this component, and our production is back on track. However, this shortage has created a delay past our original estimate for January shipping.

We will be shipping Early Bird and Super Early Bird orders the first week of February. Your order, and those of other Power Supporter purchasers, will follow in the order in which they were received. We anticipate now that you will receive your order by the end of February.

In the meantime, we'll continue to share more news and updates on Spark, and we're excited to get your Spark to you soon. You can follow production updates on our site here.

Sincerely,

The Spark Team

dsmmrm

So, in theory, either today or tomorrow someone should actually receive this thing. I ordered at the beginning of november and the anticipation is killing me. I can't wait to hear some reports from people who aren't paid to like it.

dsmmrm

Also, I have a plethora of devices I can use with this. Anyone have any insight as to which is best? I have an Ipad air, a bunch of android tablets, various windows machines (probably not supported at all), and a Samsung note 9 and J7.

I would anticipate a buggy first release at this point in the product lifecycle. It would be great to pick the least buggy environment to start off with.

admin

Review the minimum requirements

Android  - the wireless remote control Spark app runs fine on my LG V20 (Android 9) and Galaxy Tab S3 ( Android 8 ) 

I recall it needs IOS 11 or above  for iPad
https://apps.apple.com/US/app/id1457653921?mt=8

the Spark App does not run on Windows

admin

Quote from: dsmmrm on February 10, 2020, 08:59:38 AM
So, in theory, either today or tomorrow someone should actually receive this thing. I ordered at the beginning of november and the anticipation is killing me. I can't wait to hear some reports from people who aren't paid to like it.

There is one here in UK
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29982030/

in USA , Some Early Bird Spark Orders in USA  claim they got a Fedex tracking number last Friday , but diving into details with Fedex shows only a label was created, and they use Fedex Home  - which never delivers on Monday - so I figure Wednesday is when we will hear of anyone receiving a Spark in USA  at the earliest   

dsmmrm

Great, that it will work with either android or IOS for me. I guess I;ll try both and see which has the better interface and reliability.

admin

its arrived for some in USA

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29985557/

David Nicholson wrote>
So I've played it, really quietly - baby sleeping next room.

sounds pretty good - a bit of fizz but may just be the volume. Cleans good.

Auto track generation didn't work - server error.

So far pretty pleased and quality feels good actually. Knobs smooth turning and solid, switch good and cabinet nice and heavy/solid feeling.Bluetooth connected easily - two step for audio player though.

Good thumbs up, tomorrow I'll turn it up and compare properly.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29987638/

QuoteMaxTwang wrote>
I've had Spark for 5 days and I'm happier with Spark than with the THR10C - tried them side-by-side and preferred spark. The THR seems scooped to me where the Spark is a bit mid-rangy, I'd like to see an EQ added post-amp or at the end of the signal chain to trim the mids. I like editing with the app, very intuitive and getting some great clean to edge of breakup sounds.

From what I can tell you can't move effects around, and the manual seems to say you can swipe to the side to see what other effects can be loaded into a slot but this isn't working for me. Maybe still some bugs?

Sounds better for bass than the THR10C, but I turned the reverb off in the app and was still getting a little reverb on bass.

MRCHEVY wrote>
Yes, in the effects chain at the top, tap and hold on the effect, then slide up or down to turn it on or off. Tap it twice to open the effects drop down window, scroll to desired effect, then tap desired effect in menu to select. Swipe L/R on effects chain(top) or effect/amp in bottom window, to see all effects and amp in chain.

PG SPARK Owners Manual PDF
https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360047508351/Spark_Amp_User_Manual.pdf

Android

IOS 11
https://apps.apple.com/US/app/id1457653921?mt=8

Positive Grid SPARK FORUM
https://forum.positivegrid.com/category/28/spark

admin

1st real PG Spark Amp User  review
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29989496/

---
jdag wrote>

I received my Spark yesterday (early day 1 order, probably within 30 min of the preorders going live, my order number was 317). I thought I would provide some initial reactions as an educated consumer.

I would not consider this a review of sound quality, and I am not going to demonstrate me playing (you are all welcome). I am not a very good guitarist, and I am not good at dialing in tones, so it would not be a fair review.

What I will do is provide my initial impressions as well as comparative thoughts against the Yamaha THR10ii, which I know many people would compare to the Spark. I owned the original THR10 in the past, and bought the THR10ii while awaiting the Spark delivery with the thought of eventually keeping 1 of them.

Disclaimer: It is brand new, and I certainly don't know all of the ins-and-outs, so I am sure people will find some inaccuracies!

On the positive side:
It is beautiful. Seriously a nice piece of equipment. It is built really well and if you simply looked and touched it you would not be surprised if you were told it was $500+. All of the knobs/switches are top notch and feel very substantial. Really, both the Spark and THR are well built, but overall on the form/quality the Spark is an easy A+ (maybe the THR is an A).
It comes with a USB cable but not an Aux cable (the original THR10 had both, the new THR10ii had neither) as as well as the power brick. I am in the US, so only received the US-type plug as expected.
The app is beautiful looking and super-easy to navigate. It is head-and-shoulders better than the THR app visually, and the Spark has much more configurability than the Yamaha. Changing presets is easier, the number of models/effects is greater, and Spark has built-in jamming tools that don't exist with the Yamaha. The 1 thing Yamaha has that Spark does not is the capability to change cabs (at least to my early knowledge).
Did I mention it is beautiful? (While I do like the appearance of the THR, I think the Spark looks even nicer.)
It sounds very good, full and rich. I don't want to say great, because as mentioned I am not good at dialing in tones, and my playing is even worse! But the presets are significantly better sounding "out of the box" than Yamaha's presets. Also, the output level of each preset is much more consistent than Yamaha's levels (which has been a complaint on the Yamaha thread). Changing presents in the Spark does not cause sudden volume spikes, at least in the ones I've used so far. With the Yamaha, some are soft, others are very loud. Of course, you can edit, but this is just early impression stuff.
It actually pushes air. I had it sitting very close to me for a while yesterday and noticed it pumping air onto my hand as I played.
It is bigger/heavier than the THR, and sounds like a larger and more powerful unit. It is definitely louder, and cleaner when turned up. I've not yet really cranked it up, but you won't be disappointed with volume.
The interaction between the amp and controller (I use an iPhone X) is solid. Switching presets is quick. There is a very slight pause, but it does change presets faster than the THR.

Now, some of the shortcomings:
I am finding that I have to connect the app and the Spark every time I power on. I've not yet determined if this is by design, a bug, or even mandatory in the way Apple apps work. I've not used Spark with an Android device yet. To be fair, the THR has similar connectivity requirements. This could also very well be user error. Plus, in experimenting, I've been in-and-out of apps, connecting back-and-forth between Spark and THR, etc.
I have had a few app disconnections and have also had to power cycle the Spark a couple of times. It seemed to have frozen up, but it could have been user error again.
Having only iPhone/Android apps is a pretty substantial downside in my opinion. The THR offers the phone/tablet apps as well as Mac/PC apps. I generally use the Mac app and find it a much better experience. My wife has an iPad and I've used the iPad app with the THR, but have yet to try the Spark via iPad, I am sure it will be better than the phone app (easier own the eyes, easier to adjust).
I can't stand the tiny headphone volume knob. Yes, small detail, but it is really tiny and when you have cables plugged in, not the easiest to use.
While on the topic of size, I hate the small 1/8" headphone jack. The new THR also has an 1/8" jack, and I very very very very much preferred the 1/4" jack on the original THR.
I only used the tuner 2x, but it seemed to be laggy and not overly responsive. Could have been user error, but getting in and out of the tuner caused me to have to reboot the amp on 1 occasion.
Finally, here's what might be my biggest problem with the Spark because I enjoy experimenting with 3rd party amp sims such as Scuffham S-Gear and Helix Native. I have yet to figure out how, or if, I can use Spark as an interface. Don't get me wrong, I am able to connect it to my Mac and get sounds and I am able to record using Garageband. However, it does not seem to function as a plug-and-play interface like the THR does, and the sounds I do get are very very noisy. I will say that this is very likely my fault in not knowing what to do, but the THR has definitely been a better experience relative to being an interface. When I plug in the THR I see a 2in/2out device in the Mac Audio App. When doing the same with Spark I see 2 separate devices, one being 1in and the other being 2out.

I am sure there is more, both positive and negative, but this should keep all of you busy for a while!

People will pick apart different amps, and likely compare Spark to the THR, Katana, Katana Air, Vox Adio, and others. At $300, this is a seriously strong competitor. You really can't go wrong. If you are an early-bird and paid less, all the better!

Oh, did I mention it is beautiful?

Mrchevy

Found this demo today showing metal, cleans, and acoustic guitar thru it.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Mrchevy

GAS!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, go away...................................CAN'T...................................RE...................................SIST ..............................AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........AHHHHHHHHHH.
OK! :-\  Ordered. DAMMIT !
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT