GK-Kit Internal wiring with NO mag pickups

Started by Gassghost, February 11, 2013, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gassghost

Hi:
Here's a photo of the CB for the dual ribbon to 13 pin connector for reference. This style does not work with the GK-KIT-GT3 internals. Just in case anyone has an old one laying around.

Gass
GR-303 updated electronics, Stetsbar, Sustainiac
GR-808 (original) + Stetsbar (FOR SALE)
79 Strat w/ GK-2A
Eastman El Ray 1 and El Ray 3
94 Fender Tele w/GK-2A, Stetsbar
2 Fender GTX 100's
VG-99, GR-55, FC-300
And studio full of stuff

Spawn-X

Quote from: Gassghost on March 19, 2013, 08:52:53 AM
Hi All:

Ok a final wrap up the GK-only installation. After much digging and a returned and replaced GK-KIT. I found the source of my problems. When doing the original install I had an old 13 pin connector for the guitar, I used that instead of the one that comes in the GK-KIT. I received the new KIT and had the identical problem. So I was just about to light the torch and commit the project to eternal doom when the light bulb went on. I swapped out the two 13 pin connectors and Woo Hoo! Everything worked. What a bone head. I never thought the pin configuration on the older connector and the new ones would be different. So now, I have a 79 Strat GK only with working GK vol and a S1/S2 toggle. Bare bones but really cool looking (I think). (Now for that UV LED!)  Thanks for all the help and assistance with this modification. I think I have a Tele headed for the same!

Gass
Hi Gass,
Got a question for you.
On the second pic, we can see where you chose to mount GK 13 pins connector. Do you use a right angled GK plug?
Sorry for my bad English. I'm just a poor lonesome froguitarist...

So, feel free to correct me if I make a mistake...

Gears: V-Guitar: VG-99+FC-300; GP-10; AX100MKII; Nord Modular G2 Engine.
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5 + BabyFace + RC-50

Gassghost

Hi Spawn-x

I'm using a standard GK cable with a straight end with a couple extra wraps around my strap. A right angle would be great but I don't own any and the ones that are available I believe are not compatible with the Roland systems. I could be wrong but I know there is a thread on the forum regarding right angle cables. If they are available sign me up for a few!

Thanks,
Gass
GR-303 updated electronics, Stetsbar, Sustainiac
GR-808 (original) + Stetsbar (FOR SALE)
79 Strat w/ GK-2A
Eastman El Ray 1 and El Ray 3
94 Fender Tele w/GK-2A, Stetsbar
2 Fender GTX 100's
VG-99, GR-55, FC-300
And studio full of stuff

Elantric

RE right angle Gk13 cables.

I got lucky, was able to obtain one that works very well from ebay a few years ago. It has locking right angle plugs at each end that must be pushed to release the lock.

But be advised that many Ebay sellers have cables that will not work, so plan for failure, Perform a full one to one electrical test of all 13 pins prior to use with Roland gear.

It was a cheap gamble - i recall I paid $20 with shipping

Ebay is like a fish market, every 6 months there are new sellers and new items when you search on "Roland 13 pin cable".

My cable Looks just like this and worked.

But I Must point out my working cable was NOT purchased from this seller below - just showing it to list the pics of the right angle 13 pin plugs.

Spawn-X

Hi,
I know this seller, but he don't accept to ship to France  :'(
Sorry for my bad English. I'm just a poor lonesome froguitarist...

So, feel free to correct me if I make a mistake...

Gears: V-Guitar: VG-99+FC-300; GP-10; AX100MKII; Nord Modular G2 Engine.
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5 + BabyFace + RC-50

gumtown

That cable in the picture looks suspiciously like a Kenwood automotive CD stacker extension cable, if so, won't work with the Roland GK system.
I brought one looking like that from a local eAuction, and it FAILED !!

I would ask if they know it is proven to work with a GK Roland, or are they assuming that's what it is.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

I got lucky, was able to obtain one that works
And I can not remember who the seller was, it was over 2 years ago. It was NOT this same seller.
But I agree, most Roland 13 Cables on Ebay are actually Kenwood Car Stereo Cables and WILL Not work.
But still could be used as a source of parts.

Only very few Ebay sellers will accept a return if the cable does not work.

So buy these ONLY if you have electronic skills  - plan for failure, Perform a full one to one electrical test of all 13 pins prior to use with Roland gear.
But if you are clever, this cable could be diassembled and reuse the right angle connectors with a properly wired 13 pin cable.

drjoness2001

Quote from: Gassghost on March 19, 2013, 02:54:47 PM
Hi:
Here's a photo of the CB for the dual ribbon to 13 pin connector for reference. This style does not work with the GK-KIT-GT3 internals. Just in case anyone has an old one laying around.

Gass
I did the same thing ages ago, when the GK-3 kit first shipped, I had started an install using a GK-2A.

Unlike Mike, I fully wired the system, so it mostly worked, but I had a few problems. With both 13-pin connectors side-by-side, and a scope, it didn't take long to see the connectors were different.

I worked out the pin outs, you will see that on the GK2A, the third wire was from the "7" connector is GK S2, but the same wire in the same position on the GK-3 is ground, which may explain why you could not get the system to work until your pressed the GK S2 switch, you were providing proper ground.

If you study, you will see that in the older GK-2A, there are three ground wires. When Roland shipped the GK-3, they decided to finally do something with pin 9, so they used the old pin assigned to the guitar signal for the newly implemented pin 9, took an old ground wire and made that support the guitar signal, and rearranged a few things.

Elantric

Wayne, Thanks for the posting the details of the GK Internal Kit 13pin jack Dual Ribbon cable signals!

Elantric