din-13 to vga

Started by Sec-Def, August 15, 2015, 10:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sec-Def

I'm currently in the process of designing and rehousing an internal gk3b system to work with vga cables.

problem #1: my hex-pick up is a hybrid, gkb pick up, and gk, pre amp.
                  I got an internal kit, and got cold feet once I saw how much routing it would take.
                  I seriously thought that space in the cavity is a non issue. (I was way wrong)
                  so I plugged to pick up an old gk3 assembly I had, instead of the guitar pick up.
problem #2 : I'm broke.
                   so that means, no on a new pick up, and no on a spare cable for my gr55.
                   considering that now (after only about a month of use  ;D)  the gr55 is my live set up, this is a problem.

solution to problem #1, building an out board box which will be attached to the strap pin, housing the preamp.
solution to problem #2, making the out board box work on a vga cable, that will go through another box, on the ground,  which will convert it back to din13. 
that way, I can use cheap vga cables for running around and keep the din13 out of harms way.

extra benefit, having an on the floor break out box will also enable me to inject a non gk equipped instrument into the gr55, and use it as a multi f\x unit.
the vga multplier I gutted for this even has a ready made 9v input to use with the buffer I need for doing this.
another extra benefit here, is having two more lines going to the floor, so that I can add amp foot switching from my guitar, or maybe some sort of expression control. (I've been planing on building an infra red sensor expression control for a while now)

one question I have is this, on the pre-amp pcb, there are 15 wires going into the din-13 out,
paired in a group of 8 (one yellow 7 blue, these are the strings & pick ups) and another group of 7. (whites and a red)
I'm guessing three of these are grounds, maybe for sw1\2 and the vol, which are connected to the same terminal.
(thus a 13 pin cable )
which are they? the red and yellow?
I've looked at the pre amp scheme and saw it has a +7 terminal, and a -7 terminal and no ground.
so I kinda need some one to point me in the right direction as to finding which 3 of these 15 are the same one.

another question I have is, where do you see this fail?
what are the weak points of my idea?

Yohanes

The overall idea is workable, using VGA connector is cheaper (and better?) but making square hole is harder than round hole for mounting plate (just to remind you if you will make many).
The great point is: VGA to DIN 13-pin converter box so "...that way, I can use cheap vga cables for running around and keep the din13 out of harms way. "
The weak point is: it will not standard anymore, it means the more you creative (adding more modification instead of just VGA direct to DIN 13-pin interface) the more you have to anticipate some gotchas.
Your plan will fail if you don't really understand what the GK-3 circuits do. Make sure you understand that the GK-3 pre-amp box is powered only by your GR55. So be careful if you have any plan to combine with external power supply (you may ruin your GR-55).
For regarding which cable from board to DIN-13pin, Look at https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73.0
Remember actually DIN-13pin require 14 cables, the 14th cable is from DIN-13pin sleeve to board ground. So ONLY TWO of the 15 cables are the same ground NOT THREE!
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

gumbo

Further to the reply from Yohanes, above:

"another question I have is, where do you see this fail?
what are the weak points of my idea?"

....I think you had better FIRST Google the pin-out on VGA cables...
..you will find that 'standard' VGA cables do NOT use all the pins in the connectors.

Sure, you can use the CONNECTORS..but the CABLES you buy off the shelf will not give you the connectivity you need.
..that effectively means building your own VGA cables to match up with the way you wire the VGA receptacles (sockets) that you plan to install in your equipment.

I openly acknowledge that I have vested interests in 13-pin arrangements, but you do need to do a whole lot more research.

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...