SY-300 - OSC Settings

Started by BlakeWilder, September 09, 2015, 05:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

Quote from: Now_And_Then on October 02, 2015, 04:04:12 PM

I'd be very interesting in your results. I don't know how the sympathetic strings are tuned ( edit: apparently they can be tuned to anything although not easily / quickly) but the mere fact of so many strings sounding at once would tend to baffle the frequency analyzers, don't you think? Although obviously I have no idea about the technology actually used in the device. Still, it could be an interesting experiment. (I have never played any electric sitar but I seem to recall reading that some of the knockoffs are actually better than the original. The name "Jones" as a brand comes to mind. I think I'll go and poke around on Youtube...) 

edit: Oh here we are: Jerry Jones Electric Sitar - ! No longer available (And this video includes a li'l guitar lesson! Recommended! Try it with your EHX Ravish Sitar!)

How complex a waveform would it be possible for frequency analyzers to cope with before they just refuse to output anything meaningful? Another interesting question!
My sitar copy is a 'rogue' and it's cheaply made, complete with frets that are sharp and very noisey lipstick pickups. I ran it though the sy300 and the good news is that the sy tuner makes it easy to tune the 13 sympathic strings. Those strings aren't heard much when playing (pickup volume has to be high and lots of noise) unless directly plucked or strummed. When stummed, as you predicted, they mess with the dsp and a high frequency artifact is produced. When playing the six strings into the sy, the sound is not that good to my ears except on the two low strings. This may be because there is not much harmonic content produced by the higher strings and they fade out quickly. So i would say that this sitar is not a good fit with the sy, but it sounds fine on it's own. I purchased it because i didn't like the sound of synth sitars. I wanted to perform with our trio on songs like metheney's 'last train home' but when we did that song, i wound up using a hollow body jazz guitar instead.

Now_And_Then

Oh, first-rate post! Thank you for the information!

According to what I've read (and I'm certain that it's true) the bridge on an electric sitar is specially designed to cause the strings to buzz. That's lots and lots of very high frequency content (read: white noise! Although it's probably not real white noise -  if one would examine it with an oscilloscope, I'd bet the low-frequencies are greatly deficient.)

The sitar's excessive white noise might confuse the SY-300 even more than the sympathetic strings.

I once knew a girl who went to India now and then on behalf of a Buddhist record company, and I though about asking her to buy a real sitar for me. But then I came to my senses! Maybe I'll just buy a copy of SwarPlug...  There are several Indian / Hindu instruments that fascinate me.

The Youtube demo to which I linked was very disappointing: the single notes sounded really good but chords sound bad. I don't recall how double-stops sound. But because it seems to be, actually, if not technically, a non-chordal instrument, it has almost no utility for me. 

Oh well!

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on September 10, 2015, 04:26:18 AM
Most likely what you see moving is due to the 'Assigns', if an assign is set to use the 'wave Pedal' (an LFO type slow oscillating control) and it is set to control a parameter, the Tone Studio editor reads the constant parameter changes from the SY-300 which the Assign is attached to.
If you see two parameters changing, then two assigns are most likely being used.

On the factory 'dripstone cave patch, osc #3 has the 'fine' knob moving between -3 and +14 and in the amp/filter  section there is filter cutoff knob doing something simular. I want  the 'fine' knob to stop it's auto-mod, but i can't figure out how to do it. There is only one assign, and that is for ctl 1 controling the on\off function of osc#1. I also tried turning off the lfo's on osc #3, but that had no effect on the 'fine' knob's auto-modulation. Does anyone know how to stop that 'fine' knob? i'm heading back in for another go at the problem. If i don't make it out by dawn, please let my wife know what happened. :-) Headline: synth programmer turns to dust in studio chair, flashing knob suspected cause.

Witness

Check under the wave expression.   

chrish

Quote from: Witness on October 10, 2015, 01:56:24 AM
Check under the wave expression.
thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I didn't realize that the assigns menu had another page ie:  'wave' and 'midi' assign. (Page 17 of the parameter guide) This must be what gumtown was calling the 'wave pedal'. Another interesting feature of the sy.