Hex Pickups are ugly

Started by Elantric, July 07, 2016, 12:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteI guess what i don't understand why many guitar players don't like the hex pickup.

Sadly most guitarists see a GK-3 hex PU, and assume it's a MIDI PU ,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

and fall into "mis"-belief  that the Roland VG COSM Hex Processors have similar high latency as Guitar to MIDI systems.

Then they see this pic (with the "borg-like"  GK-3 pickup mounted on a nice Les Paul) , and  realize:

this GK-3 is ugly and my LP will never again fit in my Gibson hardshell case again!

- then loose all interest in the  GK-3 pickup  and Roland VG/GR COSM Hex processors.

aliensporebomb

It's the issue of people listening with their eyes again" "ack! how unsightly".

Steve - if I remember correctly there was some company that produced a thinline GK3 compatible device for guitars but Roland took legal action if I recall.

There also is the group of folks that painted their GK3 to match the guitar finish so from the audience it blends in with distance.

And the built in one on my white strat with white guard the white gk pickup cover - nobody notices it much.

But the wart kind of works for this guitar in a sort of cyberpunk kind of way:

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteSteve - if I remember correctly there was some company that produced a thinline GK3 compatible device for guitars but Roland took legal action if I recall.

2006 Axon PU100 with its "Seymour Duncan Designed" hex PU - basically a GK-3 clone right down to the adjustable Radius screw - was not particularly lower profile

( as the Fishman Tripleplay Controller is)

But Roland Corp objected about the Axon PU100's Radius Screw with enough legal guns that Axon suffered financial loss and was soon "history"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=500.msg2040#msg2040

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13540.0
There also is the group of folks that painted their GK3 to match the guitar finish so from the audience it blends in with distance.

And the built in one on my white strat with white guard the white gk pickup cover - nobody notices it much.

chrish

I like the gk look and when i see it on another guitar player's guitar i know i'm going to hear something special. I remember seeing Metheny's jazz guitar set up   with the gk and a toothbrush. To me, that's coolness.

Rhcole

On the Godin Freeway the FTP blends right in. Only one person has asked me about it, another guitar player.

...my beef with the 13 pin has not been the pickup, it's the connector. I was playing at an outside party sitting down and switched my knee over and moved the cable slightly, with a subsequent load popping noise that made everybody look up in shock.

Hello SY-300.

chrish

You need a toothbrush to loop the gk cable around. :-) Other stuff works also like a twisty tie. But yea wireless is nice hence seeing a thread post every so often on the possibility of wireless 13 pin.

aliensporebomb

I do the old "loop the gk cable behind the bottom strap button" thing.  Never had a loud pop yet.

whippinpost91850

Elantric

QuoteI do the old "loop the gk cable behind the bottom strap button" thing.  Never had a loud pop yet.

same here  - same as all my guitar cables since 1967

How to check if you are playing with a "rookie / inexperienced guitarist:

* They do not know about the above Cable strain relief method, and always accidentally "unplug" themselves as they step on their own guitar cable mid solo.

* During a break,  they forget to move their Volume knob to "0" when they set their guitar down near their powered up amp, and then the guitar starts to self oscillate with feedback within 20 seconds 

chrish

When sitting and playing without a strap, i wrap a twisty tie around the strap end connector and just tie the gk cord there. In order to stop feedback, our band had a feedback fund where the offender had to buy the beer. As far a clean chords go, many of us are used to the hex with the vg's and there is simply no comparison to the 1/4 inch sy input. Hex=way better for clean guitar chords. But i'd perfer both options on the same unit

whippinpost91850

That does bring back old memories of playing with Rookies ;D

aliensporebomb

Here's how to do a hiding in plain sight hex install..... color coding it makes it easier to hide it.   From a distance onstage people can't hardly see the stock pickups much less the hex one.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on July 08, 2016, 10:58:40 AM

How to check if you are playing with a "rookie / inexperienced guitarist:

* They do not know about the above Cable strain relief method, and always accidentally "unplug" themselves as they step on their own guitar cable mid solo

I must be one then .
I've never used wrapping cables around my strap.
And I have big feet being a Viking and all.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 09, 2017, 09:31:09 AM
I must be one then .
I've never used wrapping cables around my strap.
And I have big feet being a Viking and all.
a lot of us have Viking Blood in us, those cats got around. :)

Cups

I have a black guitar. That wart gets plenty of attention. When they hear how good I sound they tend to reconsider the ugly

vanceg

The main thing people feel is ugly is the "wart" box that attaches to the guitar, true?  Is there a feeling that the pickups themselves are ugly? 
Asking because, as I've made clear in other threads, I'm a pretty big fan of the capabilities of hex pickups and would like to help make them MORE attractive to a wider range of guitarists. 

I'm also assuming that internal installs are considered to obtrusive and damaging to existing instruments, yes?  The idea of having to route out more area in the instrument for the circuit board and the need to route/chisel a spot for the 13pin connector are the major issue here, yes? 

vanceg

Here's a quick couple of photos of a hex pickup option that sits in a single coil space.  I've got it wired in using a 19pin Lemo connector, but there's an option for a 13pin output.  However, this does zero to help with the issue of the Wart box being the least-sexy part of a hex pickup install.

Likewise, it you don't happen to be able to give up your neck pickup spot to use it for your hex pickup, then this doesn't work for you.  But for me, on a guitar that is mainly meant to operate as a hex guitar, this is absolutely ideal.  I do acknowledge the appeal of a super thin pickup like the GK-3 to be able to fit in there between an existing bridge pickup and the bridge itself....

Note that those extra holes near the pickup are from a GK-3 internal kit that I removed to install these Cycfi pickups.  I plan to fill the holes at some point...

chrish

Having the wart there is a convenient place to have all the controls at hand. I don't find it anymore obtrusive then a tremolo or even other necessary guitar Hardware.

However being a human that is attracted to bright shiny objects, if the wart was machined out of block anodized aluminum with some design and function style to it, then yeah that would be cool.

GuitarBuilder

Another approach is to pair up the Cycfi Research Nu Multi 6 with a humbucking Cycfi Research XR Flex:

The result is a dual-purpose pickup that takes up the same amount of space as a tradition humbucker.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

chrish

Is that a custom pickguard that you had cut out from that company that you linked to in another thread?

myksara

I personally love the gk3 with gr55 and gp10 combo...life saver for alternate tunings especially with the doublelocking trem guitars i use. However equally hate the form factor since it doesnot fit on my Jem 7v and JS series guitars!!
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

maglich

Quote from: myksara on December 11, 2017, 09:05:41 PM
I personally love the gk3 with gr55 and gp10 combo...life saver for alternate tunings especially with the doublelocking trem guitars i use. However equally hate the form factor since it doesnot fit on my Jem 7v and JS series guitars!!

Although I don't own a Jem 7v, I have a gk3 on few rg550 and, if I recall correctly, Mr. Ruppert has one on a Jem floral..

myksara

Yeah it does fit on RG and S series..nut slightly misses out on jem 7v and js...
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Brak(E)man

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on December 11, 2017, 09:41:26 AM
Another approach is to pair up the Cycfi Research Nu Multi 6 with a humbucking Cycfi Research XR Flex:

The result is a dual-purpose pickup that takes up the same amount of space as a tradition humbucker.

Looks nice but I guess I'd miss out on the Sustainer.
Also the sound must be different from a GK ?

(The advantage with having all GK 1,2,3 is that the sound is not exactly the same but close enough
not having to reprogram all patches.)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch