GK-3 Volume control is non linear

Started by rjfoster, January 01, 2017, 09:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjfoster

Hi!
When I turn the volume control, the volume has spots where the output suddenly spikes high or low as I turn it.  I have only had the GR55 / GK3 for about a year.  I hope its not already messing up on me.  I haven't been able to try a different cable because I don't have access to one, but I don't really think that is the issue.  I did however try cleaning the contacts on the GK3 / GR55 and the pins on the cable.  Wiggling the cable does not seem to cause the issue. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rob

vtgearhead

Quote from: rjfoster on January 01, 2017, 09:12:55 AM
When I turn the volume control, the volume has spots where the output suddenly spikes high or low as I turn it.  I have only had the GR55 / GK3 for about a year.  I hope its not already messing up on me.  I haven't been able to try a different cable because I don't have access to one, but I don't really think that is the issue.  I did however try cleaning the contacts on the GK3 / GR55 and the pins on the cable.  Wiggling the cable does not seem to cause the issue. 

The pot itself might be dirty.  If you have bench skills:  Remove the back of the GK3 control/connector module, give the pot a quick blast of non-residue electronic control cleaner and run it back and forth a few times.  Otherwise, consider having a qualified repair tech take a look at it.

rjfoster

Ok - I had considered this option, but was hoping I wouldn't have to open it up.  :)  But I guess I will.  Thx for your help!

rjfoster

Well I opened it up, applied contact cleaner, but it did not improve at all.  I guess I need to replace the potentiometer (VR1).  Any ideas on where I could get this part?  Maybe even a better one than Roland put in there since it has worn out in less than a year.

Thx!

gumtown

I have many various GK installations of GK-2A, GK-3, GK-3B, GK-Kit, and never had a VR1 failure yet.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vtgearhead

If the contact cleaner didn't solve the problem then I'd tend to agree with Colin.  It's more likely to be a poor connection somewhere. 

admin

This can occur if the GK Vol pot got smacked, it fatigues the internal solder connections where the GK Vol pot is mounted on the PC board

Often reflowing the solder may cure the issue.

Well I opened it up, applied contact cleaner, but it did not improve at all.  I guess I need to replace the potentiometer (VR1).  Any ideas on where I could get this part?  Maybe even a better one than Roland put in there since it has worn out in less than a year.

Thx!

Call Roland Mon-Fri

http://www.rolandus.com/support/service_repair/service_centers/

Contact
Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700

Tony Raven

After applying the contact cleaner, did you work the pot back-&-forth a couple dozen times?

(Apologies if I seem to underestimate you, but we recently had a situation at work where this oversight turned out to be the problem :( so I figure it could happen to anyone.)