VG-99 - Jimi Hendrix Patches for "Hey Joe" or "Voodoo Child"

Started by Piperbret, October 06, 2008, 08:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piperbret

Hello,
I have purchased a VG-99 system and have been trying very hard to come up with a "Hendrix" sound for "Hey Joe" & "Voodoo Child."

"Hey Joe" - It should be a simple matter of altering the classic Stratocaster sounds and adding a bit of fuzz distortion. However, I can't seem to get the tone even close.

"Voodoo Child" - Again, I have selected a Stratocaster model with a wah (using an expression pedal) and heavy distortion (Fuzz Face) but it doesn't sound anything like Hendrix.

Do you know where I can find these patches or any hints on how to proceed?

I am running a Gibson SG (with GK pick-up) into the VG-99. I am also using a Marshall MG30DFX amplifier into the clean channel.

Thanks,
Piperbret

Rojoyinc

I'm interested in the same. (I recently purchased Brian May and Hendrix pedals (both are really nice).
But I'd like to get them on the 99 so I can sell off those pedals.
I just got my 99 - but will be getting on it fairly soon. Last night I tweaked a nice strat tone. (I like playing John Mayer stuff with).  I should be able to build upon those to help get a Hendrix tone.   But would rather have someone else do the work! = )
Ron, GR, MI
Strats (John Mayer & AmDlx Ash) Fretlight
Gibson LP cust
Tayor T5 Koa, Solidbody walnut custom
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth
Line6 UX8, Mesa LonestarSP, Fender Acoustasonic
MicroCube, Fender Champ 600, BR-600, DP-02CF PortaStudio
HarmonyMan, VocalistLive4, CuBase, SECURITY SYSTEM ;-)

papabuss

Hi just saw this page started a long time ago

I use this one for "Voodoo"
EXP Pedal for WAH (of course) ;)

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Antonuzzo

Another reply to this old thread!

One trick for the Hendrix sound - use a Vari model and reverse the angle of the pickup. Hendrix played upside-down strats, so that'll get you (a bit) closer.