State of the Forum- Jan 2011

Started by Elantric, January 25, 2011, 10:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Thanks for joining us here at VGuitar Forums www.vguitarforums.com - the largest online community for Roland VGuitarist's to share and get the most from their Roland tools.

In Jan. 2008 I created this SMF/PhP type categorized forum with member "SlackJaw" [Admin Rob] and the help from a few members {Brent Flash} from the Yahoo VG-8 mail list:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/vg-8/

Frankly, we had outgrown the resources available on the Yahoo Mail List, and I prefer a SMF/PhP type categorized forum, where years of knowledge, and patches may be located and shared by all users, both newbies and old timers.

Unfortunately, last week after the NAMM show, I heard that our co-founder "SlackJaw" [Admin Rob] must transfer full ownership of VGuitarforums to me "Elantric" [Steve C] , as he was recently diagnosed with a serious health condition, and he's now unable to continue his career and is facing huge medical expenses. Its a very tough break, (Rob is only 42, with a family)

You can check out Rob's blog on all this at http://www.bromee.com/zen if you are interested.

Thank You

Elantric (Steve C)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

Guitarbot

The forum has been a great resource and offered excellent support.  Also, the group buy for the GR-55 is/was incredible.  I would not have believed the price.  That alone is worth the price of admission.  I am so sorry to hear of a family in crisis.  I am in prayers for their peace.  Donation is being made right now.
Thanks,

727lawrence

Very sad news. Donation on the way, as well as prayers ...

ddlooping

Sad news indeed. Best wishes to Rob, his family and friends.
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

MCK

Following Rob's wishes and Elantric's preferences we are moving the vguitarforums.com to use the same server resources as what I would term its sister forum futureguitarnow.com. As a result you will see some funny web address up above in your browser. Please ignore this. You did not accidentally land on the wrong site. It still is the VGuitarForums.com that you know and love.

Many thanks to Rob for facilitating this move in the most professional and timely manner despite his most pressing personal needs. My thoughts and prayers will always be with him.

gumtown

I did notice that accessing this Forum from my usual favourites bar link didn't work, making me think the site was down.
But after doing a google search to find the Forum, and renewing my shortcut links, all is good now.

Best wishes to Rob and Family..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

A2theT

Best wishes Slackjaw and your family.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Slackjaw

Thanks for the good vibes and support!  Since I'm pretty much going to retire at 42, I'll have a lot of time, for now, to spend a lot of time finally writing and producing the rock opera overture that's been rolling around in my head (amongst other things).  

I am very proud of what Steve and I started here.  He had the concept and the drive, and I had the desire to build a usable forum that actually made it into world circulation.  Mission accomplished.  We've had additional folks join the volunteer team along the way that have made a huge difference keeping order and watching the ship for which we are grateful for thier time and effort.  And now coupling VGuitarForums with the sister site FutureGuitarNow under one management and vision, this IS THE PLACE to go for progressive technology guitar gear community and collaboration.

Stay cool, and keep rockin!

Rob Bromee
aka Slackjaw
aka Admin Rob

http://www.bromee.com/zen

My Rig: Brian Moore i2.13 > Guitar Rig 4 and Roland GR-09 > Ableton Live 8 Suite > Alesis  MasterControl > Little Dot 1+ > Allesandro MS-1 Headphones > My Head > My Soul

727lawrence

Rob, prayers to you and thanks for all you've done.

727lawrence

Guess I should have said "prayers FOR you" - take care, my friend.

nosaintnick

So this begs the question, will the two forums merge at some point? Since there are VG99 and GR55 subforums in each one it would make sense to consolidate. Of course I have no idea how the forum technology works and if it would even be possible but it would be kinda cool to have all this discussion and information in one big forum.

Elantric

I do not want to upset existing vguitarforums members,- I get a few complaints that vguitarforums is already too difficult to navigate, without wading through "non-Roland" forum areas we have on www.futureguitarnow.com.

But in the long run,  I think merging both forums  makes sense from a "strength in numbers" perspective - this helps when i negotiate future Group Buys, and getting Manufacturers to Listen to us when we have a list of Firmware improvements to existing products.

MCK

My personal opinion is that we can perhaps merge user accounts such that one account gets you in both forums. Then we can move VG99 & Roland related subforums to vguitarforums so that this becomes a consolidated resource. There might be few sub-forums that could go from VGF to FGN too. So yes, I do think we can rationalize this a little better as we go forward. All in good time.

By the way, VGuitarForums move to the new server has been completed. Thanks for your patience with us while we went through this change. If you still see issues with the forum please PM me. Thanks

aliensporebomb

I've read Rob's blog and he's a braver man than I.  Here's hoping the universe aligns properly and he finds a way to pull thru this.

Sending good thoughts your way Rob.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

TheParasite

I read Rob's blog.  Am sorry to see your good friend passed away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Godin XTSa (a pretty one)