Boss RC-505 Loopstation

Started by Zoppe, April 04, 2013, 02:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

admin

http://www.imgrum.net/media/1327925578581928141_1531883054

Oopah Loopah Ver 7.1 welcomes the new Captain onboard. Introducing the Boss RC505. For the past almost 6 years the Boomerang III + Sidecar has served me well as a valuable and reliable main looper. In the past week of trials and crash test experiments with the RC505, it has stood it's own proving to be a worthy contender to take over from where the Rang has served reliably and some of the brow raising discoveries include the tight syncing between these 2 units. The Rang will be set aside for now but will be on close standby. (In this pic) The Boss RC505 (above) and the Boomerang III + Sidecar (below) Randolf Arriola (Live Loop

Brak(E)man

I'm bumping this

QuoteThere's a problem with a built in noise gate that cuts of reverb tails and makes a unpleasant stutter.
There seems to be no way to acces the threshold , but my guess is that you can from Sysex , anyone got any clue to how to go about the problem. ...??
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

I detest Noise gates myself, and prefer to use gear with high dynamic range, If I have a noisy Distortion pedal, I use it judiciously and prefer to self gate the noise using a volume pedal in front of the looper  - but I expect the Built in FX in any Looper product to  be an after thought and not as good as dedicated FX 

The bummer is the Looped audio on Roland RC-300, RC-505 pedals appears to be 16 bit , (not 24 bit)

My big hunt at the moment is locating the Roland RC-505 Complete MIDI Implementation doc
But this is rather hopeless

Brak(E)man

It's not the built in fx , this is a noise gate on the input

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

here is another thread where RC-505 noise is mentioned

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1066967-boss-rc-505-loop-station-background-noise-hiss.html
QuoteYou either have a defective looper, or it's set up wrong, or the signal being input into the looper is noisy.

To ensure that the RC-505 is set up correctly, read throught the setup procedure in the manual. It tells you how to set the input and output volumes.

It's possible that you could have gain staging problems in your mixer, or a hardware defect in the mixer that's causing the problem. To determine if your input signal is noisy, plug a set of headphones into the jack on your mixer that's feeding the RC-505. Is the sound noisy through the phones?
Its important to know the Noise floor of each FX in the signal chain

I suspect noise is a result of improper gain staging 
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/boss/rc-505-loop-station-g5570/

Brak(E)man

This is not about hiss and noise going into the 505 , the problem is that it has a built in noise gate that cuts FI reverb tails or every very low volume sound and the result is a stuttering sound not pleasant.
And there's no way to turn it off or change the threshold unless one can access it through Sysex or a midi that's not in the manual.

The problem occurs with reverb tails , there's no way to loop a ECMish sound , it doesn't matter that the signal going to the rc505 is clean, I did record the same sound into a roland SPDX and looped that with perfect result.
The same with my old looper DD-20

- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

No one experienced this ?
Anyone ?

QuoteI'm bumping this

There's a problem with a built in noise gate that cuts of reverb tails and makes a unpleasant stutter.
There seems to be no way to acces the threshold , but my guess is that you can from Sysex , anyone got any clue to how to go about the problem. ...??

- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

update about the Noise Gate issue.
The firmware update 2.0.0 have adressed this problem.
the noise gate threshold is now available under System settings.
no stutter and cut off reverb tails anymore
as well as many new functions in other areas.
I can highly recommend RC505 after this update
( I wish that Roland/Boss would go about flaws in the design of other products as well , fi SY-300 )

- Lydia Lunch

admin

Thank you

New Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/RC-505_V2_e02_W.pdf

and for what it's worth when folks complain why no new Boss GK 13 pin products,  here's a perfect example.
realize the very same Roland /Boss engineering team that works on GK processors  is also the same team that are working on many other -Roland Boss. products  - including the RC-505  and Katana and MS-3 ,etc , so the typical workload for them is a bit like putting out fires and management coordinating priorities on where to apply their engineering effort's

Happy the RC-505 fell into their focus for new firmware.

Beirne

So have you solved the remote foot control issue by just pressing the hand buttons with your feet?

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 01, 2016, 01:39:42 PM
http://www.imgrum.net/media/1327925578581928141_1531883054

Oopah Loopah Ver 7.1 welcomes the new Captain onboard. Introducing the Boss RC505. For the past almost 6 years the Boomerang III + Sidecar has served me well as a valuable and reliable main looper. In the past week of trials and crash test experiments with the RC505, it has stood it's own proving to be a worthy contender to take over from where the Rang has served reliably and some of the brow raising discoveries include the tight syncing between these 2 units. The Rang will be set aside for now but will be on close standby. (In this pic) The Boss RC505 (above) and the Boomerang III + Sidecar (below) Randolf Arriola (Live Loop
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

admin

Quote from: Beirne on August 06, 2017, 12:10:58 PM
So have you solved the remote foot control issue by just pressing the hand buttons with your feet?

Contact the source

http://www.imgrum.org/media/1327925578581928141_1531883054

chrish

Quote from: Elantric on November 02, 2016, 05:18:41 AM
I detest Noise gates...
I'm with you on that one. I'd rather hear the noise all the time then only when I play a note. Nothing like hearing the same Out Of Tune pitch noise on every note you play.

Maybe instead of a Noise Gate, there could be something like a 'pitched noise gate' that gives the noise the same pitch as the note your playing.

admin

Quote from: chrish on October 18, 2017, 12:51:19 PM
I'm with you on that one. I'd rather hear the noise all the time then only when I play a note. Nothing like hearing the same Out Of Tune pitch noise on every note you play.

Maybe instead of a Noise Gate, there could be something like a 'pitched noise gate' that gives the noise the same pitch as the note your playing.

I just use my ears, and select gear within my budget which exhibits the  most dynamic range, with distortion free headroom and lowest noise floor 

http://libremusicproduction.com/answer/noise-floor

A lot of noise can be eliminated with proper cabling and correct gain staging at each element in the signal chain

https://ledgernote.com/columns/studio-recording/gain-staging/

chrish

Yes even something as simple as a power cord running parallel to an audio cord will create noise.

I was surprised when I encountered noise on an acoustic guitar patch on the VG 99 that was only there when each note was being played. I looked at the creators patch parameters and sure enough The Noise Gate was turned on. Turning the Noise Gate off produced the constant noise.

So I did as you suggest and checked the many gain stages and adjusted those but the noise, while softer, is still present. I guess I don't quite understand how noise is a factor in DSP code.

I was quite surprised to see how quiet my newly-acquired analog GR300 and GR100 are. Even the spicetone 6appeal can become very quiet when the gain stages are turned down.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 01, 2016, 12:47:16 PM
Internal micro_SD Card memory ( 4GB)

Is it possible to change sd card to a bigger one like on Roland Spd-sx ?

- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

Quote from: chrish on October 18, 2017, 12:51:19 PM

If the noise level is so high that one hears it while playing then something is off.

When I started mastering CDs instead of only vinyl , the recording media was still tape.
So instead of having digital silence in the pauses , tape noise was inserted in the pause at a low level.
That said I use noise gate a lot without any problem as long as the threshold and release works fine
and the noise is at a low level to start with

- Lydia Lunch

chrish

Quote from: Brak(E)man on October 19, 2017, 12:29:43 AM
If the noise level is so high that one hears it while playing then something is off.

When I started mastering CDs instead of only vinyl , the recording media was still tape.
So instead of having digital silence in the pauses , tape noise was inserted in the pause at a low level.
That said I use noise gate a lot without any problem as long as the threshold and release works fine
and the noise is at a low level to start with
the noise that I was describing on that VG 99 acoustic guitar patch is not very noticeable at high volumes but I play at very low volumes these days due to tinnitus issues.

there are so many gain stages in the vg-99 including starting at the sensitivity settings for the hex pickup. It seems like the creator of that patch must have heard the noise also because the Noise Gate was on.

But the thing is that it's the best patch for acoustic modeled tone that I've encountered.

Running it with the Noise Gate off is preferable to having what kind of sounds like a low volume snare sizzle kick in every time I play a note.

If I go to something like the factory Jazz guitar chorus patch, I don't hear any of that type of noise.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: chrish on October 19, 2017, 09:27:52 AM
the noise that I was describing on that VG 99 acoustic guitar patch is not very noticeable at high volumes but I play at very low volumes these days due to tinnitus issues.

there are so many gain stages in the vg-99 including starting at the sensitivity settings for the hex pickup. It seems like the creator of that patch must have heard the noise also because the Noise Gate was on.

But the thing is that it's the best patch for acoustic modeled tone that I've encountered.

Running it with the Noise Gate off is preferable to having what kind of sounds like a low volume snare sizzle kick in every time I play a note.

If I go to something like the factory Jazz guitar chorus patch, I don't hear any of that type of noise.

I also play on very very low volume due to severe tinnitus and hyper accusis , but do you mean that
the noise is more noticeable in the same patch played at a low level ?

- Lydia Lunch

admin

admin

admin

Quote from:  philjynx on February 07, 2019, 08:50:07 PM

I'll do that, tho it has barefoot unfriendly switches. Still, not buying for a while & knowledge doesn't hurt.

https://www.amazon.com/Effects-Footswitch-Protection-Effectfor-Colorful/dp/B07CWXH1WY

else

https://sputniknews.com/europe/201707211055766933-french-singer-electrocuted-stage/
Police in France have launched an investigation after a rising star of the music scene died in a tragic accident while performing barefoot on stage. Barbara Weldens, 35, is thought to have been electrocuted on Wednesday night (July 19).

She was performing at the Festival Leo Ferre in a small Roman Catholic church in Gourdon, a picturesque village perched high above the French Riviera.

The circumstances of her death are unclear and are being investigated by the local gendarmerie.

Ms. Weldens, who was in the habit of singing barefoot, suddenly collapsed in the midst of the performance and is believed to have suffered a cardiac arrest.

It is thought she may have stepped on a live cable.

Police are analyzing several videos taken by members of the audience on the night. 

The Festival Leo Ferre, which was due to run until Friday (July 21) was immediately canceled as a mark of respect for the chanteuse.

plexified

Yes, you are correct. For example my buddy does a funk/Barry White goof track with the guitar to bass effect on his voice and he sounds like Barry, no lag. He also has gigged 2.5 years with it on the floor using it with his feet. Over 500 shows with not one hiccup or glitch.

He inspired me to get one, which led to me getting a glance at a GR-55/GP-10 and the rest is history. Its such a powerful tool. I had an old Zoom G9 2.tt modeler around and that became my midi controller sleeper second guitar track. It has three control pedals on it and with a midi Y cable out I control them both flawlessly. So The 505 responds awesome to midi, enough where you can have it off the floor if you want. I love the reverse track. Its instant reverse guitar lushness. So YES, it is a force multiplier in terms of effects alone. And as far as 'How does it sound?' Here is a track with everything into the RC-505 into a Yamaha Stagepass PA with mixer into a Zoom digital field recorder, No production, Live recording, its my buddy DOVYDAS and it shows you him from behind using the RC-505 as a reference.

plexified

In situation "A"  it will stop recording and sych with loop start.

In situation "B" it will stop recording and link to loop start, and remain 16 beats.

It has extensive control in  "Track 1-5 Settings" , "Loop Synch" , "Quantize"  on page 12-16 in the first issue manual.

If your set to "auto" , the situation you describe will not happen because your first track of 16 measures is looping or synching , so their is no 'after' the 16 measures.

"Quanatize" will also catch off timed events and synch properly depending on how you want it.

You also can change the order of :

Recording > Overdub > Playback

Recording > Playback > Overdub

So in this case the Quantize would auto synch you, even if your late, playback will be happening and you can still overdub or continue to layer or retry.