VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best solution for online sales of music?  (Read 1676 times)

montyrivers

Re: Best solution for online sales of music?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »

Actually, you don't have to feel so bad about that ipad.  In recent years, apple has been bringing more and more of their labor stateside.  Apple employees are also paid fairly well (even their retail positions).

Also, we must consider the fact that music is intellectual property, and we all know that in this day and age you can't really buy sell and trade in information without having it pirated.  Even worse is that emerging artists are disenfranchised by the hobbling corporate legacy left behind by the previous generation.  It's hard to gain recognition amidst the rehashed classic rock and "mainstream" throw together groups, and even that doesn't mean you'll make money as a result.

Toby Krebs

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »

Read the Dave Mathews band story. He kept doing exactly what he wanted to do with the band and instrumentation he wanted to do it with.Every "record" company turned him down until he started selling out 20,000 seat theaters. Then they each took him out to dinner one after the other and offered him a "record" deal. He responded by asking"What do I need you guys for?" after which a bidding war for his music broke out. True story.

kmaus10

• Patron Supporter
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »

Read the Dave Mathews band story. He kept doing exactly what he wanted to do with the band and instrumentation he wanted to do it with.Every "record" company turned him down until he started selling out 20,000 seat theaters. Then they each took him out to dinner one after the other and offered him a "record" deal. He responded by asking"What do I need you guys for?" after which a bidding war for his music broke out. True story.

Probably helped that he had an amazing cast of musicians surrounding him!  Great band, interesting bit of info!

thebrushwithin

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 07:01:18 AM »

I did follow some great advice, on this thread, and went with Bandcamp. Love it! It tied right in to my website, made it look like another page on my website. Within the first day, I was approached by a media licensing company, that checked it out. Good start! Love the Bandcamp protocols as well, as I can upload flac files, and they will put it for sale in all formats, with virtually unlimited upload capacity. Thanks for the suggestions, friends!!!

cell7

• [ cell 7 ]
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 04:20:03 AM »

Nice one! Good luck with it.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/18/thom-yorke-atoms-for-peace-spotify-soundhalo

RadioHead's Thom Yorke's  Atoms for Peace slam Spotify – but back Soundhalo app

Radiohead frontman's band pulled their albums from streaming music services, but will be selling gig videos direct to fans

Fans of Atoms for Peace can't listen to their albums on Spotify and other streaming music services, after Thom Yorke's other band withdrew their back catalogue earlier in the week in protest at payouts to musicians.

Other digital music services are more to the band's liking though. Next week, Atoms for Peace will be selling audio and video of two gigs at London's Roundhouse venue during the performances, making each song available shortly after its performance.

The band have teamed up with British startup Soundhalo, which launched earlier this year with a similar partnership with Mercury Music Prize-winning band Alt-J.
http://soundhalo.com/
Fans will be able to download and play the Atoms for Peace live tracks and videos through Soundhalo's website, or its apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.

It costs £9.99 to pre-order an entire set from one of the two sold-out gigs through Soundhalo, compared with the £49.50 (plus booking fees) it would have cost to buy a ticket to one of the concerts.

Band-member and producer Nigel Godrich – whose tweets ignited the row over Spotify payouts earlier in the week – claimed that selling official audio and video of gigs provides an alternative to user-generated footage elsewhere on the web.

"Part of the reason soundhalo was interesting to me was that I found myself wondering why, whenever you go to a gig, the next day there are a million shaky, horrible sounding YouTube videos already online," he said.

"But you go and look because you want to see something of your experience. Soundhalo provides something really functional – an experience that you want to remember in front of you as soon as the concert has happened. To be able to relive that is a really great thing."

Godrich and Yorke have continued to respond to criticism and questions of their stance on Spotify and its streaming-music rivals over the course of this week.

"Not enjoyed being target for facile mudslinging we've the right to discuss and optout of #Spotify. debate is important," tweeted Yorke on Wednesday, with a link to fellow artist Sam Duckworth's article for the Guardian criticising Spotify.

Godrich has focused more on retweeting supportive comments and links to articles backing the band's stance, even as Spotify execs have been retweeting messages of support and articles backing them.

Spotify has also published a report by its director of economics Will Page using the Netherlands as a case study to prove that streaming music services have eaten into piracy much more than they have cannibalised legal sales there.

The company remains embroiled in the debate sparked by Atoms for Peace around its value for new artists, but the band's Soundhalo partnership may provide inspiration for those peers in two other ways.

First, it's a reminder that there are more opportunities than ever for bands to work directly with technology startups, rather than purely leaving these kinds of deals to their labels.

Second, that while sales (and streams) of recorded music remain the biggest source of income for most musicians, there are a growing number of other ways to make money from their music.

Selling digital access to concerts isn't a new trend, from pay-per-view webcasts and subscription-based services like Concert Vault, through to websites like Nugs.net where bands including Metallica, Pearl Jam and the Black Crowes sell MP3s of their concerts.

thebrushwithin

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »

Nice article, and I am not surprised that Radiohead, always innovative, are setting an example for others in the business. Thanks for posting!

GtrGeorge

• Contributing Member
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »

Re The Dave Mathews Band story...
that is always the case  ..don't ask anyone to do anything for you...just build build build and if anyone comes along, scrutinize their offers..to quote Frank Zappa back in like 1981 "Record Companies can't do anything for me that a Bank can't".  Think about it.
               GtrGeorge
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Blog