VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Godin LGX-SA - noise/feedback while using piezo pickups.  (Read 5372 times)

Phaze

Godin LGX-SA - noise/feedback while using piezo pickups.
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:59:59 PM »

Hi all.

I recently purchased a Godin LGX-SA to use the piezo pickups with my VG-99.  Previously I was using an external GK-3 on my Fender Strat with the VG-99.  The sounds using the GK-3 were excellent (clear and accurate) but the LGX-SA seems to sometimes have a slight screeching or feedback type sound as I play.(clear but residual noises)  I’m finding these residual sounds to be a bit annoying….especially once I started noticing them.   I’ve upgraded the VG-99 to the 1.04 firmware and tried all of the different piezo settings (usually use type R).  Also tweaked the sensitivity of the strings to 25 or less but the slight unpleasant sounds still persist. I wondering if the piezo pickup may be much more sensitive than the GK-3 and there's nothing I can do about it.  Is that possible?   Does anyone have any suggestions that I can make to tweak my patches to eliminate these unwanted noise/sounds?

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions! I love the VG-99!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:53:07 PM by Elantric »

feloniouspunk

• Global Moderator
Re: Godin LGX-XA - noise/feedback while using piezo pickups.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »

Is it a new one with an RMC setup or does it have the older LR Baggs setup?  If it is indeed an RMC you should read this post:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=568.0

You are not the only one who has had this issue. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:52:22 PM by feloniouspunk »
Lots of Gear. :)

Phaze

Re: Godin LGX-SA - noise/feedback while using piezo pickups.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:32:43 PM »

Yes, I meant LGX-SA.  Sorry for any confusion.  I've now corrected the text in my original post.  My LGX-SA was purchased new from an authorized retailer only a couple of months ago.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 07:42:44 PM by Phaze »

feloniouspunk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »

Did you check out that link?  I think that might be what you are talking about.  RMC has made a mod for it.

Phaze

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

Thanks feloniouspunk.  Yes, I checked out the link and contatced RMC.  He's going to send me one of the filters to install in my VG-99 after he receives my postal money order.   I'll post some feedback about it once I've installed it and tried it out.  Thank you for your replies!

dhaiphi

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:20:03 PM »

Phaze, have you received the RMC filter ?

Phaze

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »

Yes, I did receive the RMC filter and installed it in my VG-99.  It was very easy to install.  To be honest I can't tell any difference with my LGX-XA.  The piezo pickups just seem to be "hot" and somtimes create slight noise/feedback that I don't have with the GK-3 on another guitar.  I did adjust the string sensitivity to "zero" for all strings for the and it seemded to improve the problem somewhat but unsure if it's the result of the RMC filter.  I've got the Piezo pickup set to "R" and have tried all the other pickup settings too. 

dhaiphi

• Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »

To be honest I can't tell any difference with my LGX-XA.  The piezo pickups just seem to be "hot" and somtimes create slight noise/feedback that I don't have with the GK-3 on another guitar. 
Apparently, the filter has failed. This is a bad news : RMC piezo-pickups don't work with the VG-99.  ???
I did adjust the string sensitivity to "zero" for all strings for the and it seemded to improve the problem
This is not a real solution.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:45:33 AM by dhaiphi »

Billy Kaffadrin

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 12:33:31 AM »

Apparently, the filter has failed. This is a bad news : RMC piezo-pickups don't work with the VG-99.  ???This is not a real solution.  :'(

That's not any way to draw a conclusion, Phaze.  RMC must have had some success in the lab in order to present a beta test to the public, I seriously doubt Mr. McClish has a whole lot of time to waste on non-profitable excercises in futility.  Lots of variables, pickup settings, guitar setup, trem/non trem, etc. could affect a particular user's outcome, so a more scientific approach is needed I think.

RMC piezos are on a lot of guitars, not just Godin LGX's.  I think my Brian Moore I9 has them, and even with straight guitar models I have noise problems if I try to use the tremelo or thump the bridge.  But used as a straight acoustic piezo pickup the noise is non-existent, so I have to conclude this is the VG99's reaction in it's "ears" and well may be subsonic's inducing false triggering.  Also it could be that for example the 50Hz signal being filtered on the E and A strings varies from guitar to guitar, if so on some guitars more than a 3db cut may be required.  I'd like to order a filter and see if it helps.  It might be it's something that requires tweaking on some instruments, but this is being called a "test".

Let's see.   Has RMC distributed a questionaire with the filter?

Billy
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:50:41 AM by Billy Kaffadrin »

stratman67

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:36:33 PM »

Hi,
     I'm considering the purchase of the VG-99.  I recently took my Godin LGX-SA to Guitar Center to put the VG though it's paces and came to find out that the overtones that have been mentioned here are evident on my guitar as well.  I selected the proper pickup setting, mine being an LR Baggs, and noticed that when I played in a percussive manner or attacked the strings aggressively that a high pitched, microphonic ring was easily heard.  After trying a cheap, crappy Strat that they had rigged up with a GK-3 pickup I noticed that this overtone was not present.  Not even close to being an issue.  The overall sound of the unit did change slightly, it became a little more mid-rangey and honky, but no weird sounds.  After plugging my Godin back in I noticed that if I held the palm of my picking hand on the strings, just behind the bridge, the ring went away.  The LR Baggs system seems to be very hot and picks up anything and everything that's going on along the stringpath.  Does anyone know if there is a setting in the VG to reduce the input or output level of the pickup in order to eliminate this problem ?  From the looks of it, I'm not the only one with this issue.  Thanks in advance. 

dhaiphi

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:23:56 AM »

From the looks of it, I'm not the only one with this issue.  
Sure, you're NOT the only one.  :lol:
I have a guitar with a GK2A and a Godin LGX SA with RMC pickup.
Naturally, I have the same problems (noisy and weird sounds) but unlike many people, I think the "sound" is better (not mid-rangey and honky) than using the GK2A.  ???

Elantric

• Global Moderator
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 09:58:13 AM »

Most "happy" Godin LGX-SA VG users dampen the strings between the Bridge and the tailpiece. Use foam rubber.

read more here:
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,458.0.html

RMC says:
"Also note that tune-o-matic bridges are notorious for resonating at a
high-frequency in a front-to-back pendulum mode. This results in a
distinctive ringing which can be heard by tapping the front face of the
bridge with a metallic object even if the string segments are damped,
and won't disappear unless the middle of the bridge is blocked
mechanically with a suitable damping support (like a hardwood block).
"

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:02:13 AM by sustainiac »

Gatormike

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 04:54:23 AM »

Being a frustrated LGX-SA owner (LR Baggs) with the sound quality when using my VG-99, and having contemplated spending major bucks to build a quality roland-ready FrankenStrat, I attempted the muting of the strings behind the bridge solution with skepticism last weekend.  Results:  WOW, this made a total difference and I could not be more happy.  Candidly, I think it now sounds better than my GK2a on my strat.  To my ears, I am getting more realistic modeling sounds on the guitar models now.  I would recommend any LGX-SA owner (regardless of piezo type) give this a try.

Foam rubber was suggested, but I went another route... I bought a $3 toy monkey made of rubber at the mall, cut one of its arms off with an exacto knife, and threaded it through the strings behind the bridge.  I'm now scouring home depot to find a more "aesthetic" looking alternative material; perhaps some tennis string dampers may also work well (I'm looking at those too and will post any good fits for consideraton). 

Again, this made a total world of difference in improvement of VG sound quality when using my personal favorite axe and I could not now be more satisfied with the VG purchase.  Now, I just got to get off my lazy ass and get working with the FC-300 (being a midi-novice; that device and the anticipated programming complexity scares the crap out of me)!   :o

feloniouspunk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:38:46 AM »

Mike-

Glad things are sounding better for you.  Let me know what you settle on for a damper.  I have been using some foam and I have not been too happy with the results.  Are you also damping after the nut?

Gatormike

• Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »

Nope, I've not been damping up above the nut.  Maybe I'll cut the rubber monkey's other arm off and try that too??   ;D  Seriously, I noted such a marked difference by damping behind the bridge that I honestly do not think damping up at the nut will provide additional gains, but I'll try to experiment and let you know.  The rubber material that I am using is almost like a super/rubber ball that you'd get out of the gumball machines when you were a kid; only more pliable.  I think the strings may ultimately cut through the current "damper" so that's why I am looking for other options.  I think that foam is just not dense enough.  The rubber interweaved through the strings seems to really bite into the string and prevent more damping.  Peace for now.  Mike 

feloniouspunk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »

Heading to Home Depot is probably the best idea.  I'll head out there tomorrow and see what I can find.

jazzkid74

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »

Hi.
Didi any of you settle on a damping material?

Trond

germanicus

• Global Moderator
    • Steam Theory Band
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 03:14:05 AM »

You may be able to get some from Godin.

I purchased an LGX-SA not long ago and it came with short foam/rubb strips under the strings below the bridge. You may be able to get some from Godin as it appears they are now including this on newer LGX's.
My albums done with modelling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/HD500/FTP
Godin LGX-SA/VG99
Traynor k4

tekrytor

• It wasn't me.
    • About my DIY "Cozy-Lil-Footie" HighlyLiquid-CPU based MIDI Foot Controller:
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »

You may be able to get some from Godin.

I purchased an LGX-SA not long ago and it came with short foam/rubb strips under the strings below the bridge. You may be able to get some from Godin as it appears they are now including this on newer LGX's.

Germanicus, can you possibly post a photo of your LGX's factory damping solution?
Thanks!
GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Elantric

• Global Moderator
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »

You can see the foam rubber damper material in the body slots in the attached pic - courtesy of Germanicus.

and this thread is crucial reading for all Godin users too

Piezo noise with modeled guitars...
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5551.msg38230#msg38230

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:15:00 AM by Elantric »

Jim Williams

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 11:16:02 AM »

I installed the GraphTech Ghost system on my Les Paul and experienced the same noise from over sensitive peizo pickups. my solution was to take the foam tube from a guitar stand and cut it to fit under the strings between the b ridge and the tailpiece, then jam a small piece under the center of the bridge. this worked out well but I still got some noise when moving around while playing so I went into the COSM guitar settings and boosted the threshold of the noise gate and that did the trick. This also helped the palm muting problem issue with peizo pickups.
Guitars;
Les Paul (with a Graphtech Ghost System)
Jackson DKMG
Charvell electric acoustic
(all are GK equpit)
VG-99
GR-55 and a pair of TECH 21 Power engine 60's

tekrytor

• It wasn't me.
    • About my DIY "Cozy-Lil-Footie" HighlyLiquid-CPU based MIDI Foot Controller:
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »

Thanks guys! The pix and tips are very helpful! I am going to try damping on my controllers.
GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

gpicks

• Lurker
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 07:36:53 AM »

Did the factory dampening solution work with a GR-55?  I have a Parker MIDIFly mint condition with the 5 pin MIDIAXE system but want a 13 pin solution to use with GR-55 or VG-99.  I hate to drill holes in my Parker to mount the GK-3 and thought that a Godin LGX-SA might be a better solution any way but now have some doubts after reading about the noise issues.  Any thoughts....would I be better off drilling into the Parker (it plays incredibly) or getting the Godin with the dampening?  Which would track better now do you think?

Thanks,

Gregg
Pages: [1]   Go Up