VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magnetic vs. Piezo Hex Pickup  (Read 2991 times)

fredo

• Contributing Member
    • Audiocaïne
Magnetic vs. Piezo Hex Pickup
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:36:34 PM »

Hi all,

Those of you who own both a GK-2/3 and an Piezo (RMC or Graphtech) equipped guitar, how would you compare them ?

I now have both a Godin LGXT (with RMC) and an Hagstrom Ultra Swede with a GK-Kit (http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=572.0 ). I made some A/B compare this afternoon, and to me, there is no room for debate : the GK-Kit does the job way better...
Acoustics are more realistic (which is strange since piezo usually give a more acoustic sound, but I guess it is all about how it is used by the VG to re-model the sound); distorted sounds seem sharper and brighter, with no palm muting issues; and GR 300 sounds become usable !...
And just in case you wonder, yes I have 1.04 firmware installed and used Piezo-R setting for the Godin ;-)

I am about to GK-Ready my Parker Nitefly M, and was wondering whether to install a GK-Kit or a Graphtech Ghost System... OK GK-Kit is uglier, it also is much cheaper (119 euros here in Europe, compared to 260 euros for the Graphtech Hexpander without saddles and acoustic preamp).

What do you guys think ?!

Fredo.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:38:34 PM by fredo »

Elantric

• Global Moderator
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
Re: Magnetic vs. Piezo Hex Pickup
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:19 PM »

Now_And_Then

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:04:23 AM »

Is there any difference in the way that they work with an Axon? That could be a crucial question for some people.

fredo

• Contributing Member
    • Audiocaïne
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »

Don't know about the Axon, but I just compared the Guitar-to-midi feature of the 99 with GK pickup and RMC system, and again, the GK pickup is doing better...
While midi is more than usable with the GK pickup (fast tracking and no ghost note if you play "clean"), with the Godin LGXT, I have to lower the sensitivity a lot, and still, I have a lot ghost notes, especially when I put my right hand on the bridge...

Anyone else had a chance to compare Magnetic and Piezo Hex pickups ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 12:07:06 PM by fredo »

szilard

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »

I haven't done an in depth or analytic comparision, but I have

1) Godin LGXT SA
2) Godin ACS SA
3) Fender American Standard Strat w/Joe Barden pups and GK2a

I got the VG-99 for the synth capabilites and put the GK2a back on the Strat to compare them. For synth models and midi I really don't hear much difference, it's just a matter of setting them up properly. I have a little preference for the ACS for bass models, but overall I like the LGXT because it's cleaner/more convenient - the strat doesn't fit in it's case with the GK2A attached! I haven't A/B'd the guitar models with the LGXT and Strat yet, they do sound different, but I can't say I prefer one over the other, I can tweak the patches to sound good with both. At this point I wouldn't recommend one over the other. I had a GK1 on an old American made BC Rich ST that I like, but the strings are higher off the body and the way the hex pup is designed it's uncomfortable, but since you can turn the hex pup 180 degrees with the VG-99 I might try it again with the GK2A.

philflood

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 06:22:35 PM »

I have several different setups. I currently own a Godin/Baggs, and a Brian Moore/RMC, along with a Roland Ready strat/GK-2A, Gibson Les Paul with an external GK-3, and a small run, boutique Exotica, with an internal GK-3. Generally, I have found the following to be true. With Roland VG units, including the VG-99, the GK series pickups offer better performance. The sounds appear to be truer to the intended models. For midi tracking on Roland GR units, the Baggs and RMC units performed better. I have not had enough experience with the guitar to midi feature on the VG-99 to offer an opinion of performance with various pickups and that feature.

ganderpe

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:00:47 AM »

Hi,
I've just tested a Godin Freeway SA (tele style guitar) which has a GraphTech Ghost Piezo Pickup.
Together with the VG-99 I found the Sounds to be very very good! (I didn't test midi)
The Acoustic Sounds perfect, the electric Sounds perfect!

I've got a Godin Steel SA with the rmc piezos, changed it to the GK internel Kit,
because I found the E-Guitarsim to be better, but this Freeway is really superior!

The only reason why I don't buy it is, that the neck is not wide enough, I like the
1 11/16 inch nut.

Fender Stratocaster Eric Johnson, GK-internal,  VG-99 fw1.04, FC-300

Kevin M

• Patron Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »

I have both a Godin and Brian Moore RMC-equipped guitars.  After reading some of the posts regarding the GK3, I added a GK3 external to my Variax.  I immediately noticed an improvement in the quality for the acoustic models and my rock/metal models when using the GK3.  I am currently working on a tune that uses a baritone patch and could almost always hear 'artifacts' when playing through my Godin; and this was after much setup tweaking.  It seems to be a lot 'cleaner' when using the GK-equipped Variax.

carlb

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 08:17:15 AM »

Hey guys,

There's been a thread on this topic over at the Carvin site:

http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=9918

Carvin uses the Graph Tech setup, and there's been some interesting finds about settings for the Graph Tech and settings for the VG-99 that make them work much better together.

Is this pretty common knowledge here? If not, it seems like this could help greatly improve the results with the Graph Tech system.

- Carl
You're only young once. You can be immature forever.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog

carlb

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 08:53:40 PM »

So sounds like old-hat news around here.

Well, I'll definitely be working the built-in setup to the best that I can get it. Apparently the Graph Tech PUs on the Carvin have a switch to go between the Roland vs. the Axon inputs, don't know if that's new or not.

After amplitude differences between the two pickup types, I'd imagine the next would be spectral. I'd think the piezos would have a lot more high-order harmonics. Perhaps the VG-99 tracks better if the fundamental is more pronounced - a possibility as to why the magnetics seem to do better.

- Carl
You're only young once. You can be immature forever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up