VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Godin LGX SA - Use Of Heavy String Gauges  (Read 1742 times)

sigod

• Lurker
    • Tinyfish
Godin LGX SA - Use Of Heavy String Gauges
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:12:56 AM »

Hello all

I've just purchased a Godin LGX-SA which I'm due to pick up next week. The guitar shop in question happily has an in house luthier and I'm about to enter into some discussion with him via email about having the guitar set up for a heavier string gauge. I'm looking at 11-48s or maybe even 11-54s as I'm primarily an acoustic/rhythm player and like the tone/tuning stabilty that heavier gauge strings provide on stage.

My question is this: are there any players out there who regularly use heavy gauge strings on a LGX-SA and how that has impacted upon the intrument e.g. neck adjustment, the nut, etc over the long term? Additionally, have people noticed any improvement or degredation to the synth tracking as a result of using heavier strings?

Any advice would be most appreciated as this will be the first time I will be employing heavy gauge strings on an electric.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:15:50 AM by sigod »
Roland: GK-3/VG-99/FC-300/GR-20/JC-120
Fender: '97 Mex Strat
Misc: Fingers/Imagination

kenact

Re: Godin LGX SA - Use Of Heavy String Gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »

Just as a general rule of thumb, light top/heavy bottom strings will twist a neck over time.  I think there are a couple of dual-rod guitar necks out there that attempt to compensate for that, but Godin doesn't make one.

As far as the tracking of heavier gauge strings, there are plenty of folks in the forum that are better equipped to answer that.

FYI, I own an LGXT, Redline, A4SA & A12 from Godin.  I love 'em.
I'm neither Right nor Left, I'm in the MIDI

Godin LGXT, Redline 1 PROTOTYPE, A12, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch '66 Nashville, '67 Viking
Fender Strat, '73 Twin Reverb
Seagull 12
Tacoma Roadking
Roland GR-55, GR-33, GR-20, GI-20, RC-50, VP-7, US-20
and I want more

sigod

• Lurker
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »

Many thanks for the info kenact, it's much appreciated. I'll keep what you have to say about the light top/heavy bottom strings in mind when I get a chance to have a longer chat with the luthier.

Sedgewick

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »

I have been using 0.010" - 0.046" Elixirs on my XTSA for a few years now.  It originally had a set of 0.011's when I bougtht it used.  Other than tweaking the truss rod when I changed down, I haven't had any neck issues.  For a short time, I tried 0.009's but seemed to get too many "ghost notes" with the lighter strings.

sigod

• Lurker
    • Tinyfish
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:14:45 AM »

That's good to know Sedgewick. I suspected there wouldn't be any real issues as long as the truss rod is adjusted correctly but like Kenact, it's nice to hear the info from someone who's had direct experience of using heavier gauge strings.

motetito

• Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »

Hi, Im a LGXT user and i play fusion.
I been using 0.11 for a couple of months couse i was searching a better sound on the gr55 and the guitar sound itself (the PU are ideal for heavy gauges couse they can absorb! the whole rich and complex tone that the strings give.... you now, seymour jazz III is a great humbucking).
For me, was a great change couse i have my guitar setting for a 0.10 gauge and the bridge was set up in total contact with the wood and when i changed the strings , my tremolo bridge due to the tension, now its set up like a flotating brigde giving me more game and stability in tunning but without changing significantly the action (im in the medium/high range of action). But the real deal is the sound so, i can say that now, i can play with a tridimensional control of the sound couse the range of tone from my new strings is huge and i can control the texture and body of the sound with  minimum changes in the way i use my fingers o pick.
In other words, 0.11 give me a better and richier range of sounds tan the 0.10 and the godin LGXT fit perfectly with the strings even without effects, amps sims, etc. And with the gr55 i have now less gost notes couse the definition of the sound.
Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.

Jim Williams

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:15:30 AM »

I just did some work on  PRS and the guy used a heavy gauge string for dropped tuned guitars c g d# a# f C the neck was not the issue the bridge had to be replaced due to the stock PRS bridge could not be intimated. I replaced the bridge and the strings had some trouble resting in the nut. as far as tracking I don't think they will track as well as a thinner gauge string. the heavy gauge string theory might be accurate but if you use quality strings you will have quality sound. If you don't use the natural pickups not much will make a difference because you will be playing Virtual guitar anyway.
Guitars;
Les Paul (with a Graphtech Ghost System)
Jackson DKMG
Charvell electric acoustic
(all are GK equpit)
VG-99
GR-55 and a pair of TECH 21 Power engine 60's

technoteacher

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »

The LGX-SA ships with 10s up.
Mark Evans
Roland MV-8000, MC-909, Godin LGX-SA, Roland Ready Strat, GR-55
Orange Micro Crush