VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishman TriplePlay Wireless Guitar to MIDI  (Read 121293 times)

LocNine

• Lurker
Re: Fishman TriplePlay Wireless Guitar to MIDI
« Reply #1025 on: April 21, 2013, 08:01:26 AM »

New member here! Been playin guitar now for awhile (25 yrs?!) with the last several being MIDI guitar as well. I think I came upon this site awhile back but decided not to join since I was an Axon user after having sold my GI-20. Anyhow, I've had used a godin nylon multi for awhile and as of last year a Moog. I was recently searching for the latest MIDI guitar interface and luckily came upon this thread before I spent the $900 on the Axon ax50 listed on ebay!!

I just wanted to take this time to thank the community for their dedication to this slightly obscure part of the guitar realm. Elantric, you are to be commended for your painstaking detail in bringing everyone up to speed regarding FTP! I suppose I'm fortunate not to have been one of the members having to have waited this last year for this new piece of equipment and to have come upon it's arrival when it's actually available!  :P

I have one on order and should be getting it in the next couple of days  :o

Couple of quick questions if I may:
  • Has anyone tried it with ProTools yet? How is the experience?
  • Has anyone tried it with a Moog?
  • How about the installation on a PRS with humbuckers? I have a McCarty and a DGT. Does it fit nicely?
Thanks again and I look forward to communicating with this forum and FGN!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:54:49 AM by admsustainiac »

thebrushwithin

« Reply #1026 on: April 21, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »

Do not use the FTP with a Moog, it is unplayable when engaging the sustainer.
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8349.msg60048#msg60048

LocNine

• Lurker
« Reply #1027 on: April 21, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »

Do not use the FTP with a Moog, it is unplayable when engaging the sustainer.
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8349.msg60048#msg60048
Thanks for that! It's too bad but I figured as much...

merman93

« Reply #1028 on: April 21, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »

I finally stopped playing long enough to try and access my hardware synths. I still have been unable to do so  using the Fishman App.

I succeeded using Logic, but that's not what I'm looking for exactly. I had better luck with Apples' Logic sidekick, Mainstage 2. In both of these apps you can access all of the midi connected gear that has been installed in the Audio Midi Setup app in Mac OSX, by selecting external midi. It works great and the Fishman App is not even necessary, just turn the controller on in hardware mode, and I even controlled mod wheel functions from my Behringer FCB 1010.

I am either dissaponted that The Fishman Software doesn't offer an easy way to access hardware connected in Audio Midi Setup, or, I am embarrassed that I cant find it, or figure it out.

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10/GR-55/GI 20/XV 5050
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VGA 7/VG 88 2.0
Tech 21 Power Engine (2)
DT 25 1-12/DT 50 2-12/HD 500
Apple Imac/Logic 9
Apogee Duet 2
Kemper2

res075oh@gte.net

« Reply #1029 on: April 21, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »

Somehow I missed one tiny detail:  FTP requires Windows 7 or later???   After the fact I see that's on the box.  So my Vista isn't gonna cut it???

Thanks,
James

My credit card was charged yesterday 4/17/13 and the FTP arrived today.  Hooray!!!

James

res075oh@gte.net

« Reply #1030 on: April 21, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »

I just today got time to register the FTP and start the software downloads.  Then I'm abruptly reminded that it requires Windows 7 or later; I'm using Vista.  Drat and double drat!!!  Okay, to be fair the box DOES give Win 7 as being a requirement.  Somehow I missed it until today.

I have no experience whatsoever with Macs; have always been a pc guy.  And If I'm going to use it outside my home [which I hope to do] I'll probably need a laptop.  My laptop is an old HP-Compaq DV9009US or something like that [dual core] with Vista so it's obsolete.

As I've indicate my funds are more than a little limited.  But is I stretched things to the limit I could come up with about $1000 for a laptop.

If I'm going with Win 8 I'd probably prefer to go with a touch screen.  What kind of laptop should I be looking at [what features???] to be able to run it with the included FTP software and get the needed results?  I7?  How many cores?  Min 8 gb ram?  And so on...

Thanks,
James

I believe that was a post from someone living in the UK who informs the Kenton USB Host to MIDI box is available all over ENGLAND and the UNITED KINGDOM for 99 British pounds sterling   = $129 US Dollars + Shipping over the Atlantic (typically another $40 )

A "USB Host to MIDI " conversion box allows the Tripleplay to directly drive old school hardware synths using a 5 pin DIN MIDI connection.

Myself, I'm really excited about configuring a truly mobile rig, the smallest incarnation would be my Apple iPad Mini - be informed you should be looking at the iPad models with 32GB Minimum, and avoid all 1st gen iPads (too slow)   

So my components which are working well for me

* Fishman TriplePlay - with latest Firmware (still need a PC/Mac to launch the Tripleplay GUI to set string levels and update firmware)
* 2012 Apple iPad Mini 32GB WiFi ($429)
* Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter ($29)
* CyberPower CP-H420MP Battery Powered 4 port USB Hub ($69) (now rare and discontinued - figures) 
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-Mobile-Battery-Powered-CP-H420MP/dp/B0002UQALQ/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/user-manuals/CP-H420MP_UM.pdf

* Logidy UMI3 USB Footswitch ($69)
* Roland EV-5 (used $49)
* Sonuus i2M ($140) (for Guitar Input, and another mono guitar to MIDI converter) 

I already have many many IOS Music Apps, and plan on mostly using IK MultiMedia SampleTank, GarageBand, JamUp Pro, and AniMoog,

To actually use all the included FTP software you paid for (this bundle is worth $$)  I suggest an Apple Mac for the least worries and most productivity with this software bundle.

Since you are on fixed budget, If you dont care about mobility and already own a Display monitor with VGA port - this MacMini with Intel I5 CPU will work well at $469
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC815LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-23ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

But advised to wait for me to post a positive good result for the TASCAM iXZ  - once I get this working! - its still on my "things to try and verify" list, and not ready for prime time recommendation yet.!

{IN THEORY} here is the cheapest method to get Guitar input into a MacMini
TASCAM iXZ  - $25

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-iXZ-Instrument-input-iPhone/dp/B005NZ05J8
IN theory, We can use these simple iPhone interface adapters with iMac's and MacMini's because most of the recent models also support iPhone Headsets (via 4 conductor 3.5mm headphone jack)  and include internal Core Audio low latency  /  high fidelity Audio already built in. (not the case with Windows Machines, where ASIO4ALL is the only solution to use the internal Audio) 

Simply "because I can" - I'm sorting out "how to use this left field Tascam iXZ as an Apple Guitar Input interface adapter" myself with my own Mac Mini - it requires some custom setup in the Apple Audio MIDI Setup manager in OSX, and possbly a free third party utility from Cycle74 called "SoundFlower" (STAY TUNED)
http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/
(Image removed from quote.)

Other recommended sources for low cost Macs:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
http://www.gainsaver.com/catalog/DetailB.aspx?CCode=1015^Apple&cICode=143682

If you prefer to stay with a Windows machine - Look for Windows Laptop bargains here
http://bensbargains.net/categories/notebooks-83/

Ringleader

« Reply #1031 on: April 21, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »

I was able to launch the FTP application and configure my FTP on my Vista machine. I have not tried any of the other included software yet though.

res075oh@gte.net

« Reply #1032 on: April 21, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »

How the heck did you do that???  I've registered and I can log in.  Then I download the file "tripleplay_setup_v 1.0.2412.exe.  When I try to run it I get the message that I need Win 7 min.  I've repeated the download a time or two; always the same.

But I'm pretty much a computer dummy.  Maybe you could tell me EXACTLY how you got it to work [as in step-by-step]???

Thanks,
James

I was able to launch the FTP application and configure my FTP on my Vista machine. I have not tried any of the other included software yet though.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
« Reply #1033 on: April 21, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »

Bookmark this and search for "Win8 Touchscreen I5 " for affordable minimum here.

Www.xpbargains.com

http://bensbargains.net/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:56:10 PM by Elantric »

Ringleader

« Reply #1034 on: April 21, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »

My version is v1.0.2402. Maybe that has something to do with it? Aside from the stupid windows UAC warnings, I never got any compatibility error messages.

aliensporebomb

• Global Moderator
    • ASB Web
« Reply #1035 on: April 22, 2013, 07:27:15 AM »

At the very least if your machine is running Vista okay if you can score a cheap Windows 7 upgrade it will run faster on the same hardware than Vista did. 

I've seen Win7 for around $125-150 OEM version.  A thought if you don't want to spring for new computer hardware.  But if the hardware is old, yeah, time to bite the bullet.
"this is aliensporebomb" - my instrumental debut with the vg99 now on itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/this-is-aliensporebomb/id391880218
More online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

My VG-99 based music projects:
http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

Elantric

• Global Moderator

shawnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1037 on: April 22, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »

I finally stopped playing long enough to try and access my hardware synths. I still have been unable to do so  using the Fishman App.

I succeeded using Logic, but that's not what I'm looking for exactly. I had better luck with Apples' Logic sidekick, Mainstage 2. In both of these apps you can access all of the midi connected gear that has been installed in the Audio Midi Setup app in Mac OSX, by selecting external midi. It works great and the Fishman App is not even necessary, just turn the controller on in hardware mode, and I even controlled mod wheel functions from my Behringer FCB 1010.

I am either dissaponted that The Fishman Software doesn't offer an easy way to access hardware connected in Audio Midi Setup, or, I am embarrassed that I cant find it, or figure it out.

You got it.  To use external HW from your PC, you need to route the FTP's signal using your DAW, MIDIOX or some other utility.  You're right, you don't need to use the FTP app, unless you want to use the other functions, e.g., the various pitch wheel modes or added control over sensitivity or dynamics that the app provides. 

As I understand it, the app programs the controller; it does not do a lot of processing itself.  As a result, you always use the same MIDI input port, whether you're using the app or not.  There's no MIDI output from the app itself. 

I was very confused by this, but was helped over on the FGN site by Costas who helped confirm this.  The downside is that yes, you need some other piece of software to do the plumbing from the FTP's input port to your PC's output port. 
Begin with the possible and move gradually towards the impossible.

shawnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1038 on: April 22, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »

My version is v1.0.2402. Maybe that has something to do with it? Aside from the stupid windows UAC warnings, I never got any compatibility error messages.

HEY RINGLEADER!   If you have a slightly older version that supports Vista (even if in a limited fashion), could you please upload that to the Downloads section of the site?   

If the issue really is 2402 vs 2412, that older 2402 version may help some other folks in the near term before they upgrade. 

Ringleader

« Reply #1039 on: April 22, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »

The file is about 29mb. Is it ok to host that large of a file here? I don't have any personal hosting that I could use for this unfortunately.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1040 on: April 22, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »

Remember many early versions of the FTP Control installer REQUIRED N.I. Komplete Elements be prior installed , Before you could even launch the FTP GUI installer.

All my testing has been on OSX.
And the download link for the Win7 FTP GUI Installer from  Fishman today

"tripleplay_setup_v1.0.2412.exe" (which my decoder ring says was posted April 12)

is not the same as what was there on April 1st 2013. Today's version of the FTP GUI for Windows requires Win7 minimum

Might require someone to post the Win7 FTP GUI Installer version from April 1st, 2013 time frame, to get the right version FTP GUI that could get it up and running on Vista

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:49:37 PM by Elantric »

shawnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1041 on: April 22, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »

Elantric - Ringleader also noted earlier in the thread that he had the FTP app up & running and hadn't yet tried any of the other software...   Sounds look a good version to save off somewhere. 

Ringleader - if you could email it to me or Dropbox it to me we'll figure out a way to get it up there!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:40:04 PM by shawnb »

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1042 on: April 22, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »

The file is about 29mb. Is it ok to host that large of a file here? I don't have any personal hosting that I could use for this unfortunately.

Probably too big!

Try uploading here
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=24

But 29MB might be too large  - and require alternate method for sharing - Box.net. Dropbox.net, etc, sendspace.com, etc.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:51:17 PM by Elantric »

merman93

« Reply #1043 on: April 22, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »

Ok, so I just received a response from Fishman support regarding connecting to Hardware Synths, directly from Fishman app on Mac osX. Isn't supported. However, as I already have accomplished, it can be done using any DAW. They also suggested using Midi Pipe, a free app, ( read here about that app).
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10/GR-55/GI 20/XV 5050
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VGA 7/VG 88 2.0
Tech 21 Power Engine (2)
DT 25 1-12/DT 50 2-12/HD 500
Apple Imac/Logic 9
Apogee Duet 2
Kemper2

res075oh@gte.net

« Reply #1044 on: April 22, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

I bought a copy of Win 8 while it was still $39.99 or whatever.  However for a number of reasons I'm hesitant to install it.  For one thing I have a ton of programs that I no longer have the disks or other install media for.  For another I've already tried to install Win 8 Beta before the official launch of Win 8 and it never would install.  It would go on for hours and finally all activity would cease.  No message; nothing.  Leaving it over night found it the same the next day. And I tried multiple times [I did manage to get the pre-production version of Win 8 installed on my laptop, which is a HP-Compaq DV9009US IIRC but haven't used that].  Perhaps the fact that I have managed to install some kind of dual boot system on this pc [my desktop] has something to do with that???

This pc is a few years old and it was a used gaming pc that I bought.  The mb is an Asus M2N-SLI with a 2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core processor and 4 gb ram. Video is two NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT [Display adapter] in SLI configuration.  I have over 3 tb storage on board with half of it available [and another 1 tb internal drive not yet installed].  Do you guys think it might suffice if I get Win 7 or 8 going on it?  My usage will no doubt be very minimal as I don't even know what most of the software does.

It would be GREAT if someone can get the older TriplePlay software that works with Vista posted somewhere handy...

Thanks,
James

Win7 64 Home $90
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213932&CatId=306

Ringleader

« Reply #1045 on: April 22, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »

Actually, after thinking about it, I'm not all that comfortable hosting a link to the older version of the FTP software. I'm not sure how that works with Fishman, especially for those who have not purchased the FTP yet, so I removed the link.

I did email it to shawnb per his request though, maybe he will post it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:24:16 PM by Ringleader »

shawnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1046 on: April 22, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »

I honestly don't think they'd care - it's clear they wouldn't support it. 
And we'd be helping them support a broader client base & ease folks into their product. 
I'm sure it's all good. 

Shawn

res075oh@gte.net

« Reply #1047 on: April 22, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »

As you may know [ggg!!!] I managed to get a copy of the old file "tripleplay_setup_v1.0.2402.exe" and installed it; all appears to have gone well.  A million thanks for all the help here.

Now a question:  Checking for updates shows the v1.0.2412.exe is available.  What are the chances that update will trash my tripleplay software install if I run it???

Again, Thanks...

James

Actually, after thinking about it, I'm not all that comfortable hosting a link to the older version of the FTP software. I'm not sure how that works with Fishman, especially for those who have not purchased the FTP yet, so I removed the link.

I did email it to shawnb per his request though, maybe he will post it.

shawnb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1048 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »

I wouldn't install the update until you've gone to win7.   
(Sounds like it wouldn't, anyway!)

res075oh@gte.net

« Reply #1049 on: April 22, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »

I may have spoken too soon.  I haven't installed the FTP on my guitar yet but I have paired the transmitter to the receiver and the receiver sees the transmitter.  However the FTP software shows "receiver not found"???

Wish me better luck tomorrow! [ggg]

James

As you may know [ggg!!!] I managed to get a copy of the old file "tripleplay_setup_v1.0.2402.exe" and installed it; all appears to have gone well.  A million thanks for all the help here.

Now a question:  Checking for updates shows the v1.0.2412.exe is available.  What are the chances that update will trash my tripleplay software install if I run it???

Again, Thanks...

James
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 55   Go Up

Blog