EHX 2880 - Controlling a EHX 2880 with MIDI

Started by opus111, August 29, 2011, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opus111

Hello, I am a long time VG 99 owner, and lurker in this forum.

I am also proud new owner of an EHX 2880 Looper which accepts MIDI control.

I want to control my 2880 with my FC 300, and am having trouble.

For example, a want to push the Play button with a MIDI command.  The manual says this is CC# 104.  However, my FC 300 only seems to send up to CC# 95.

The 2880 also responds to Program Change messages, but I can't figure out how to get them from the FC 300.

This seems very odd, as the FC 300 is pretty fancy.  Can it really not generate these messages.

I am a N00B at MIDI.  Is there something I don't know—like CC# 104 would be called something else by Roland.  After CC# 95, I can assign things like MMC Play and MMC Stop.  Are those CC# 104?

What I want to do can't be that hard.  Has anyone out done something like this?

Thanks in advance
Peter

Brent Flash

Try MMC PLAY that should work. CC#104 is an undefined CC and that is probably why the FC-300 does not go over CC#95. Make sure you have the correct MIDI channel and then send MMC PLAY, that should start playback. You may have to put the 2880 in EXT. SYNC mode for this to work. I would try it both ways. Let us know if you get it working.

opus111

I am sad to say that I just returned the 2880.  I couldn't get my pedal to control it, and I found the computer interface just too clunky (and slow).

My primary need was for a computer device, and the 2880 just doesn't do it for me.

I'm going to try Ableton Live now.  I can't get *that* to work either, but I'll start a new thread.