Look to combine GK vol and S1&S2

Started by fokof, November 21, 2009, 08:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fokof

I have a space problem on my main bass , I don't want to drill another whole.

So I was wondering if anybody tried to combine the GK vol and switches with one of these;
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_pushpullpots.htm

I know that with a push/pull , the "push" movement can be OK but not the "pull" movement. Slower than with a switch.

Comments , experience?

I have a Graphtech kit.

bob e

I would use foot pedal(s).  I find it much easier to control that type of effect change with a latching control pedal.  That way, I can keep playing and make changes at the very same time.  Cuts down on pic dropping, hasty hand flailing, and worse of all.....hitting some other knob or switch on the guitar by accident making a very unwantede change to my sound.

Bob E.

fokof

I already have an FC300 but It's usefull to have those when the FC assignation are all gone  ;)

bob e

You are using the optional exp/vol pedal and control switch on the back of the VG plus all the FC300 jacks for exp./switches 3, 4, 5,6,7,8? 

If so, can't you rethink those assignments?  Anyway, if you want it on the instrument then that is the way you should have it.  I would use a switch or button over a push pull.  I have push pull coil splitters on my Brian Moore and I find using them is awkward is a "live" setting.

Just my preferences.  Hope you find the best solution for your preferences.

Bob E.

admin

Yamaha service department used to sell the replacement spring loaded "push-push" Tone control pots with switch. - you never have to stop playing to "pull up" on a switch - you simply bang it and it toggles its position.

these are very hard to locate today - but i understand they still use them, to perform a "coil split function on their SG1000 models.
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/link/107282

Heres the guitar they came from  - factory installed
http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-MIJ-80s-Yamaha-SG-1000-with-push-pots-SG1000_W0QQitemZ220511722525QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item335785dc1d#ht_511wt_1167

I have a private stash of these for my own guitar mods

before Aure Prochazka (original VG-8 Forum creator) departed the VG-8 scene, I modified a Les Paul for him with "stealth " controls - no extra holes.

I modified the Yamaha push pots to be spring loaded "momentary switches"  - it still worked as a rotary Tone control, but you simply "tap" that top of the spring loaded knob to perform an "S1" switch function

Installed two of these - one for "S1" , another for "S2" in the Les Paul Tone Pot locations.

Call Yamaha Service Center !

in USA
* Phone: (714) 522-9011, 8:30AM to 5:00PM PST/PDT, Monday through Friday

fokof

Quote from: bob e on November 21, 2009, 10:09:29 AM
You are using the optional exp/vol pedal and control switch on the back of the VG plus all the FC300 jacks for exp./switches 3, 4, 5,6,7,8? 

No I don't.
I simply like these control on the instrument.  Can I ?

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 21, 2009, 10:11:51 AM
Yamaha service department used to sell the replacement spring loaded "push-push" Tone control pots with switch. - you never have to stop playing to "pull up" on a switch - you simply bang it and it toggles its position.
That's the kind of thing I'm looking for thanx. I have a big Yamaha dealer around , I'll check if they could have some for me.
Are these pots 250K ?

admin

Heres the deal with the Yamaha "push-push" switch pots

they are custom taper 300k - specifically for Tone Control - they will not work for Volume control.

This is because when they are full clockwise, the wiper hits a carbon "void area" and  they essentially are removed as an  RC passive tone control out of the circuit.

The "trick" is  - order the standard  non switch Yamaha pot of your choice (250k or 500k log taper) and swap out  the resistive elements as needed.  they are made by Noble Electronics HK
http://www.nobleusa.com/dac_rform.html

The Tone Pot with "Push-Push" switch is Yamaha Part # NB817390

500K normal pot is Yamaha Part # VM569600

For some cases - i've used these to build my own 250K pot with a 4PDT push- push switch - you have be creative! 

This is a PDF service manual for the most recent 2001 Yamaha guitar with uses this Tone pot with "push-push" switch.

www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/Drums/AES-FG_E.pdf

MCK

Just saw an add for 2 new Epiphone models called Killswitch something or other. Guitars look insignificant but what caught my eye was the fact that the tone pots are push down killswitches. That means the source for this type of pot can now be expanded to Epiphone spares department and they will most likely be 500K pots. All the best.

ddlooping

Another option: the Shadow "Killswitch"

Expensive though, at around $18.  :o

I only revived this thread because it was referenced in another one. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

MCK

i was wondering the other day about Fokof's ingenious solution and whether its standing up to the day to day abuse. Fokof how is it doing?

fokof

So far so good !
It's holding up real fine

I just had a little trouble with the reverse spring the that bring back the knob when I pull, after a couple of days.
Normal for a Beta version  8)

MCK

This is wonderful to hear!!! Great job once again. I wonder if you would be interested in building more of these for others doing similar custom build guitars! I would love to get one and put it aside since I will need one sooner or later. Just a thought.

fokof

No , I wouldn't do that for someone else . I did that on spare time , and took a while and lots of "trial and error".

Another idea I had for this :
I remember seeing on Sound desk , I think it was on an old Gamble (Crest) or an old soundcraft , some concentric pots with a three way switch as the lower part. They were used as EQ +-15db and the lower part were a switch with fix frequency if I remember right . ( or maybe the bandwidth)

Anybody have seen these as spare parts ?

Elantric

fokof

Thanx Elantric

Have to find one with the right value and a three way switch in there.

Elantric

More here:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/MEC-m-69/?sort=price&show=all

Here's a different animal  -looks interesting

http://www.banzaimusic.com/MEC-M-84110-Switched-Duplo-Stereo-Pot.html
High end audio potentiometer
Stacked, duplo (concentric), switched: 100k lin center click 100k lin center click On/On DPDT push/pull switch
Details

and my fave

http://www.banzaimusic.com/MEC-M-87251-B500k-4PDT.html
High end audio potentiometer
Stereo (Tandem): 500k lin, with 4PDT Push Pull switch.
Details

Elantric

fokof

Yes !!!!    :D

I'll write to Cole and ask for a custom one to see $$$
Anyone interested if I order any ?

Elantric

QuoteI'll write to Cole and ask for a custom one to see $$$

Might have to be sitting down when you hear the price !

fokof

After a couple of exchange with Cole , they declined my order.

They said they could not find any B250K   ???

Guess I'll stay with my Custom pot for some time !

Elantric

Some places do not use the term "B250K" to indicate a Analog (Log)Taper 250K pot

Tell Cole you want an Analog taper 250k pot