VB-99 - USB MIDI signal-> VB-99 MIDI out >Lehle 3at1 SGoS

Started by gron, March 23, 2017, 04:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gron

This should be a simple yes/no question but I'm gonna go n guff it up with specifics  :)

I have my PC connected to my VB-99 via usb. The VB-99 editor is happy and works great. If I send a MIDI command from the editor or another application, shouldn't this by default also come out of the VB's MIDI out port?

I'm not receiving any signal out the out port to my external gear (currently an iphone with an iRig Midi running Midivision to detect and troubleshoot since it wasn't working before)

The MIDI routing diagram (In the VB-99 Editor Application, which is pretty much the only way I edit settings on the VB) appears that everthing (USB, MIDI I/O and also RRC2)  is set to run two ways, in and out of the "VB-99 MAIN"

The goal here is to control an external switching box (Lehle 3@1) that is patiently awaiting my midi commands. I don't think I need to buy an external USB->MIDI converter with my VB-99 supposedly able to fill that duty ... or do I? :-\

Reverend Wattplower Frankenbass with internal custom 4-string GK-3B + killswitch
Fender Jaguar Frankenbass, StatusGraphite neck, Graphtec ghost bridge+ built in iphone
Boss SY-1000 :: Kemper Rack  :: Roland VB-99 (+RMC subfilter)  :: Sansamp Rack  ::  BillBaxBreakout  :: FC-300 :: Roland MX-1 + Mor

sixeight

You do not need an external box. It should work. It does on the VG99.

Just a few things:
* make sure sending PC OUT is enabled in the midi settings.
* do you read any midi data when you enable guitar-to-midi?

admin

( VB-99 5 pin MIDI OUT > 5 pin MIDI Cable with Lehle Adapter> TRS MIDI IN on (Lehle 3@1)

http://v3.lehle.com/_data/products/3at1%20SGoS/Manual/Lehle-3at1-SGoS.pdf

QuoteThe goal here is to control an external switching box (Lehle 3@1) that is patiently awaiting my midi commands.
One "Hurdle" remains, as  the Lehle MIDI Implementation relies on a finite set of specific MIDI Program change commands (31-36) on MIDI Channel #15  . seems arcane choice IMHO ( you are going to need a MIDI Translator box in between the VB-99 and Lehle 3@1

Brent Flash

Quote from: gron on March 23, 2017, 04:43:10 AM
I have my PC connected to my VB-99 via usb. The VB-99 editor is happy and works great. If I send a MIDI command from the editor or another application, shouldn't this by default also come out of the VB's MIDI out port?
I hate to be the one to disagree with the answer given but I do not think the VB-99 or the VG -99 has a MIDI "through" function. A MIDI "out" is just that, only MIDI from the unit is sent out.

admin

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VB-99_OM.pdf
See VB-99 owners manual Page 149

The MIDI signals received at VB-99 MIDI IN are output from MIDI OUT (thru).
When other signals also are set to be output simultaneously from MIDI OUT, the signals are mixed and then output together (merge).

As Brent points out -  Might need to verify MIDI commands received via VB-99 USB connection get RE-sent to the VB-99 5 pin DIN MIDI OUT.

gumtown

I agree with Brent Flash, that all Roland/Boss USB + 5 pin DIN midi port units I have come across, do not operate as a midi hub.

For example the GR-55 has USB and 5 pin DIN, the GR-55 will accept midi input from both sources at the same time,
but will not "pass through" data from USB to 5 pin DIN, nor from 5 pin DIN to USB.

The only exception is P.C. (patch change), as the VB-99 will probably re-transmit a P.C. it receives (only while P.C. Out is enabled), but not pass it thru directly.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

QuoteI agree with Brent Flash, that all Roland/Boss USB + 5 pin DIN midi port units I have come across, do not operate as a midi hub.

The VB/Vg99 are the only units I have come across that have MIDI routing. I think it should work when you set midi out to usb. I have tried some crazy routing over the years, but most of it is long ago....

QuoteOne "Hurdle" remains, as  the Lehle MIDI Implementation relies on a finite set of specific MIDI Program change commands (31-36) on MIDI Channel #15  . seems arcane choice IMHO ( you are going to need a MIDI Translator box in between the VB-99 and Lehle 3@1

You could use guitar-to-midi on the VB99 to send pc and cc messages to the Lehle. Just set the guitar-to-midi basic channel to channel 11 and send a pc message through string 5. Now you can trigger pc messages from specific patches of the VB99. I used to control soft synths this way, but it should work for any midi device.

GuitarBuilder

I have a Lehle 3at1 as well as the 1at3.  I've used them successfully in my ADA rig to switch between 3 preamps.  The communicate with each other nicely through a TRS cable.  However, all my attempts to communicate with them from a MIDI controller have failed, either by producing undesired or no result.  Finicky little boxes!  Could be incompetence on my part, but perhaps not.

In either case, you need the Lehle MIDI Junction box to connect:

http://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-MIDI-Junction

I strongly suggest you test the Lehle MIDI communication first to make sure you can control it.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

QuoteIn either case, you need the Lehle MIDI Junction box to connect:

http://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-MIDI-Junction

Or build the 5pin DIN to TRS cable as described in the Lehle 1at3 manual

But this can be daunting for some.

gron

Thanks all for the excellent help and direction! :) Much of what I'm reading here confirms my own discoveries.

My next step is to confirm that my outbound midi signals are working at all and I have purchased a cheap USB to midi converter (awaiting delivery ...) that I'll plug into my PC and iphone with iRig MIDI to be certain that MIDI signals are indeed sending.

If that works then at least I know my signal is sending and I will shift my attention to making sure I'm sending the right MIDI code.

I do already own a MIDI/TRS cable so I'm all good there.

It is my intent to generate all the midi messages from Usine on the PC so (while I'm struggling with the entry learning curve) this offers a lot of flexibility in what messages I can send.

Will report back with progress when I can (this may take some time as my available hours to play with this stuff are currently few).
Reverend Wattplower Frankenbass with internal custom 4-string GK-3B + killswitch
Fender Jaguar Frankenbass, StatusGraphite neck, Graphtec ghost bridge+ built in iphone
Boss SY-1000 :: Kemper Rack  :: Roland VB-99 (+RMC subfilter)  :: Sansamp Rack  ::  BillBaxBreakout  :: FC-300 :: Roland MX-1 + Mor