VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chewie Monsta Looper (Ed Sheeran custom )  (Read 21452 times)

Headless68

• Rating: 20
  • Boring if it was easy
Chewie Monsta Looper (Ed Sheeran custom )
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »

Interesting - having watched 'Bloodstream' live looped at the Brit awards & been quite impressed by the performance .....

Had a look for what Ed is using to loop (huge looper with screens)  - this is what I found.....

As looping is a crucial part of Ed Sheeran's performance, he and his guitar tech decided to upgrade to this custom built unit, which allows for better sound quality, better looping and better control of the sound at bigger venues. According to his guitar tech, Trevor Dawkins:

"We needed to source a pedal that had separate outputs for the guitar, percussion, and vocal elements of the loop, allowing for separate treatments (reverb, echo, harmonizer etc.) at the front of the house, Chris and I spent about 6 months contacting every pedal manufacture worldwide that we could think of to get someone to help us come up with a pedal that would be future proof and sonically superior to the RC. Although a couple of manufacturers were interested, no one had an existing product that really came close to what we wanted to do in terms of numbers of outputs and attainable loop lengths."

The "Chewie Monsta" is not an FX pedal, it's a sophisticated, unique pedalboard controller that Ed uses to manipulate a Roland FC300 MIDI Controller which is placed off-stage, described by his tech as the "brain behind the looping system." The pedal controls Ed's new looper: a Mobius 2 VST plug-in, hosted on Ableton Live. (For more info on Mobius, which is a FREE software, visit circularlabs.com)
The Monsta has four Roland double pedal-type switches as well as two video screens to monitor the program’s record/overdub/playback functions as well as showing the time frame of the loop itself. The two far left switches (REC / STOP) are part of a Boss RC20 pedal, because Sheeran wanted to keep the same familiar feel. The remaining switches are taken from three Boss RE-20 pedals. Watch him using it at Glastonbury 2014:
"The pedal allows Ed to record, overdub, and play back on any one of four synchronized loops, each of which has its own output, allowing us to now have the guitars, percussion and vocals separately, which is invaluable in a live situation. Ed can also now mute the loops individually, allowing him to alternate between different sections, such as a verse/chorus scenario. We also have an undo function, which allows Ed to clear the last overdub on the selected channel, should he need to."

Live, besides his guitar, Sheeran also plugs a Sennheiser e945 to the controller, which is used to loop his vocals. At gigs, Ed uses two mics. The second one is not for looping, it's used just for a clear signal.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 397
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:26:38 PM by Elantric »

aliensporebomb

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 81
    • ASB Web
Re: Chewie Monsta Looper (Ed Sheeran custom )
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 06:50:09 PM »

Very cool indeed.  Now bring that sucker to production for the world please!
"this is aliensporebomb" - my instrumental debut with the vg99 now on itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/this-is-aliensporebomb/id391880218
More online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

My VG-99 based music projects:
http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

Hurricane

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »

Ed Sheeran"s set up is what look's to be :

" The State Of The Looping Art's Leading Cutting Edge "

I know I as well as others have block diagrammed in our mind"s eye or on a simple blank paper this kind of looping functionality .

Betcha soon it's gonna pop out of one of the major players in looping technology that serve the live show performer .

Next step - live video multi camera mixing to stream live over social media and for sale @ Itunes - Bandcamp etcetera .

HR

Beirne

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »

Actually simple and inexpensive IF you have a laptop.
Free Mobius looper plugin...or standalone.
Plogue biddle app (osx) for routing. And ANY usb midi multi footswitch, or midi bass pedal or midi pedal...and Mobius can be setup for mulltiple controllers.

Hurricane

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »

Actually simple and inexpensive IF you have a laptop.
Free Mobius looper plugin...or standalone.
Plogue biddle app (osx) for routing. And ANY usb midi multi footswitch, or midi bass pedal or midi pedal...and Mobius can be setup for mulltiple controllers.

How would Mobius control it , via midi or USB ?

Would an unit like a Vocal Live 3/ Extreme be able to do that or a Boss type series looper ?

I down loaded Mobius already for my Window but yet to start into exploring it .

Thanks for the input .

HR

sixeight

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »

It looks like the pedal board in this clip has different buttons. So there is progress on the chewie monsta:

Elantric

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 397
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ed-sheeran-loop-rig-w-pics.1795605/

"We needed to source a pedal that had separate outputs for the guitar, percussion, and vocal elements of the loop, allowing for separate treatments (reverb, echo, harmonizer etc.) at the front of the house, Chris and I spent about 6 months contacting every pedal manufacture worldwide that we could think of to get someone to help us come up with a pedal that would be future proof and sonically superior to the RC. Although a couple of manufacturers were interested, no one had an existing product that really came close to what we wanted to do in terms of numbers of outputs and attainable loop lengths."

The "Chewie Monsta" is not an FX pedal, it's a sophisticated, unique pedalboard controller that Ed uses to manipulate a Roland FC300 MIDI Controller which is placed off-stage, described by his tech as the "brain behind the looping system." The pedal controls Ed's new looper: a Mobius 2 VST plug-in, hosted on Ableton Live. (For more info on Mobius, which is a FREE software, visit circularlabs.com)

The Monsta has four Roland double pedal-type switches as well as two video screens to monitor the program’s record/overdub/playback functions as well as showing the time frame of the loop itself. The two far left switches (REC / STOP) are part of a Boss RC20 pedal, because Sheeran wanted to keep the same familiar feel. The remaining switches are taken from three Boss RE-20 pedals. Watch him using it at Glastonbury 2014:
"The pedal allows Ed to record, overdub, and play back on any one of four synchronized loops, each of which has its own output, allowing us to now have the guitars, percussion and vocals separately, which is invaluable in a live situation. Ed can also now mute the loops individually, allowing him to alternate between different sections, such as a verse/chorus scenario. We also have an undo function, which allows Ed to clear the last overdub on the selected channel, should he need to.

Live, besides his guitar, Sheeran also plugs a Sennheiser e945 to the controller, which is used to loop his vocals. At gigs, Ed uses two mics. The second one is not for looping, it's used just for a clear signal."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:36:59 PM by Elantric »

Beirne

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »

If you download MOBIUS and try it out, its all really simple. They just stuck a display in a pedalboard. And wired up some footswitches into a FC100 midi controller (but almost ANY midi/usb controller switch will work with Mobius)
Package it in a nice n neat box.
Or go Hillbilly style ...old macbook, plywood, ductape, usb foorswitch.

It looks like the pedal board in this clip has different buttons. So there is progress on the chewie monsta:

sixeight

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »

If you download MOBIUS and try it out, its all really simple.

I wasn't really planning on building one. I think it is way too big. I am just suprised Ed is taking something user built on the road. Just wonder how reliable it will be, though I guess he has a backup...

Hurricane

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »

I wasn't really planning on building one. I think it is way too big. I am just suprised Ed is taking something user built on the road. Just wonder how reliable it will be, though I guess he has a backup...

Interesting fellow Ed Sheeran . His multiple sold out stadium show audiences in big venues as a solo artist has made him branch out into producing .This guy is rolling in jack .

I'm totally sold on the looping experience .

I used to haul a Teac 10" Reel To Reel to do soloing gigs . I paid a really good guitarist ( who I hired many times for live duet and combo shows ) to record my backing tracks .

I got that Digitech to replace the Reel To Reel .

I didn't play guitar after I suffered a accident in 1962 that stopped my guitar playing for 36 years from 1962 to 1998 .

On Oct 12 1998 10:00 AM the last of many sharp milk bottle shards embedded into my left hand"s finger tips finally came out while typing at my local library learning about P.C.'s & the net, took a couple of months for the hole it left to heal so I  could restart my guitar interrupted life .

It's taken a little over 10 years to really get good at it once again ( not that I was a shredder at 12 when I suffered that milk bottle accident ) , when I did solo's I sang and blew harp , I have blown harps since 1954 - I'm 66 now . I gig with some heavy hitters too blowing harp in shows and session work blowing harp , I am now at this point surprising the musicians I used to hire ( guitarists and pianist ) when they see me playing guitar heh heh heh , life is good.   

EZ :
HR

danquinnband

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »

Hey guys, thought I'd chime in here as I've built a very similar system from off the shelf parts, so I was excited to see Ed's performance taking this concept to the mainstream with his Grammy performance. I'll even make the bold statement that my system is more flexible than Ed's, and more fit to be updated over time than his is.

In summary, anyone who wants to build this system really doesn't even need Mobius (quite a dated platform if you ask me).

You need:
-A decent laptop
-Ableton Live (the free lite version will do for most, but I'm crazy and use the suite)
-A good low latency audio interface (I use the Focusrite Clarett)
-A good MIDI controller (I personally love the RJM Mastermind GT22, but it isn't totally necessary)

I wrote some more details in a blog that you can check out here: http://www.danquinnband.com/single-post/2017/02/15/My-Version-of-Ed-Sheerans-Grammy-Performance--And-My-002-On-The-Chewie-II-Looping-System

Full video that shows how I use the system to play Ed's song "Shape of You" from the Grammy Performance:

I'm happy to chat with anyone on this matter. It's exciting stuff!

Cheers from Dallas,
Dan Quinn

Hurricane

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 10:48:28 PM »

Hey guys, thought I'd chime in here as I've built a very similar system from off the shelf parts, so I was excited to see Ed's performance taking this concept to the mainstream with his Grammy performance. I'll even make the bold statement that my system is more flexible than Ed's, and more fit to be updated over time than his is.

In summary, anyone who wants to build this system really doesn't even need Mobius (quite a dated platform if you ask me).

You need:
-A decent laptop
-Ableton Live (the free lite version will do for most, but I'm crazy and use the suite)
-A good low latency audio interface (I use the Focusrite Clarett)
-A good MIDI controller (I personally love the RJM Mastermind GT22, but it isn't totally necessary)

I wrote some more details in a blog that you can check out here:

Cheers from Dallas,
Dan Quinn

Nice stuff man , I'm checking out your website .
Thanks for the info .

EZ :

HR :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up