VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech 21 Power Engine?? Thoughts? Anyone got one (or perhaps two for stereo)?  (Read 7023 times)

Gatormike

• Contributing Member

Seems like a very good product and I was thinking of maybe acquiring two of the little guys to run a stereo setup?  Anyone have any comments or user reviews you'd like to share on how well these do with a VG-99?  As always, thanks for the input.  Mike

Gatormike

• Contributing Member

Bump.... ???...really?  No one has some words of wisdom???

I'm looking at the 4x10 model.  I have a j-station (two actually), and I always have killer results on the 4x10 cab models on that thing (especially for the "killer" clean tones I search for).  I've got to think that my vg-99 in front of one of these would be unstoppable.  However, I don't want to pull the trigger without some input.  I have no where here in Orlando, Florida to demo.  Peace and let me know folks.  Mike

HAMERMAN409

• Contributing Member

I have a Tech21 Trademark 60. Assuming that running into the line-in should sound similar/same to a power engine I thought it sounded pretty good when I tried it at home the other day. I hope to try it at a band rehearsal in the near future.

My patches have been dialed in using near field studio monitors. The Trademark 60 did not sound as flat but the midrage it added sounded like it would help the cut in a band situation so I am hoping that I won't have to make new patches for live use. I will report back when I try it.

Gatormike

• Contributing Member

Hamerman:  Any reports back on how your Tech 21 amp worked with your VG-99 in the band setting?  I'm still debating all of this for my live use setup.  The Traynor K4 seems like the best idea with the stereo capability, but I'm still leaning towards the Tech 21 power engine (with the 4x10" speaker cab) as I think that could work exceptionally well with some of my other modelers that I "just can't quit" (i.e. my Johnson J-Station and my Yamaha MagicStomp).  Please advise when you can.  Also, if you have any reports on the quality/reliability of the Tech 21 amp, I'd like to hear that too please.  Peace.

HAMERMAN409

• Contributing Member

Not yet but it should happen late July. One thing holding me back is that I have some cables to make before I can use my VG-99 and GR-30 together (and I need to keep the GR-30 in my rig since my band plays some tunes that require it). I should be able to finally get that done over 4th of July weekend.

jazzdude

• Lurker

Hey there!

I have a tech 21 powerengine 60 ( 1x12 ) and it works great for me. I don't gig, but I wouldn't be ashamed to bring it to one. I'd buy a second for stereo in a second.

jazz

ktat

• Contributing Member

I still love mine...  Light, and loud enough that I often bring only one cab.  It can live in your car's trunk with ease.

An adventurous person can get a 7/8 drill bit and go the route I did.  Still using this rig since I posted this long ago.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,370.0.html

Gatormike

• Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies of late.  So, I take it that everyone deploying the Power Engine feels that your patches translate well from headphones/studio monitors to the PowerEngine for gig purposes, correct??  I use my VG primarily in my home studio, constantly tweaking my patches, and I just want the best (er, fool-proof/easiest) amp solution for gigging.  Seems like this is the ticket per KTAT.  Thanks so much!  Peace.  Mike

jazzdude

• Lurker

I primarily use either the tech 21 or my pair of peavey pr15p powered pa speakers and I dont have to tweak my eq between them. The tech 21 does have a built in 3 band eq which would be helpful in dialing in your sound in different environments.

jkillian

• Lurker

I have been using a Power Engine 60 for several years. The downside as some previous posts indicated is the Power Engine comes stock with a 12" guitar voiced speaker. I use the PE as a monitor with a direct out to the board. Sound through the PE and stock speaker was much different than what was coming through the mains and monitors. So I changed the stock speaker to a full range 12" PA driver. The speaker change gets the PE sounding much more like the monitor / PA sounds and is more versatile for acoustic and synth sounds. The speaker change was relatively inexpensive and well worth the cost. Highly recommended upgrade. The speaker I changed to:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-409

ddlooping

• Patron Supporter
    • Diaz Guitars

Welcome to the forums, jkillian, and thanks for the tip. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

Jim Williams

I have a pair and relay like how they perform live. They make a great stereo setup for the the VG-99 or they are good powered monitors when you play through the PA. However I recommend getting the ones with the horns built into them for acoustic and synth sounds.
Guitars;
Les Paul (with a Graphtech Ghost System)
Jackson DKMG
Charvell electric acoustic
(all are GK equpit)
VG-99
GR-55 and a pair of TECH 21 Power engine 60's

myksara

I just purchased a Tech21 PE60 hoping that it would be great for monitoring my Godin LGXT+GR55 sounds.
But I think my money has gone down the drain! Godin Piezos and all electric patches just didn't sound tight as they sound on my studio quality headphones or when I run directly through a PA.

For me- Tech21 Power Engine 60 was a big set back!! It just can get very loud, but cmon we musicians prefer tonality over loudness isn't it?
This amp is not worth the money and I feel is a hype
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige RG3250MZ, Godin LGXT, Line6 JTV69, Roland GC1 strat, PRS SE Santana, PRS SE Custom24, Yamaha Silent SLG110S
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom G3X, Zoom MS50G
MIDI: Fishman TriplePlay guitar wireless, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Behringer IS202 with iPad

Bill Ruppert

Again its built for guitar sounds.
For what you need you will need to add a different speaker or add tweeters.

myksara

My point is that even my electric guitar distortion/blues patches sound a lot different on the tech21 PE60 than they sound in my studio quality headphones..
My blues/rock guitar patches sound great on my headphones and also live through the PA, but they sound lifeless on my tech21.
Tech21 just has a lot of boom and I am not pleased with the overall tone..
Tweaking the EQ on the amp makes it slightly better, but still not even close to what I want.
The amp looks good, sounds loud but I still think it's overpriced!..
I am thinking of replacing it with a Roland KC-150 keyboard amp or a roland Cube 60..
any suggestions? Please note that I will be using all my effects and amp modeling from GR55 live and Korg PandoraPX5D for practice
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige RG3250MZ, Godin LGXT, Line6 JTV69, Roland GC1 strat, PRS SE Santana, PRS SE Custom24, Yamaha Silent SLG110S
MIDI: Fishman TriplePlay guitar wireless, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Behringer IS202 with iPad

Elantric

• Global Moderator
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog

or a roland Cube 60..
Skip the Cube 60, as this does not have the external Aux Input

and go for the Cube 80X or Cube 80 XL as these do have the MP3 / Aux Input and sound very good, far more high frequency response than any Tech21 product, and get loud enough for most situations.

myksara

Thanks Elantric!..Actually I was almost sold out on the Roland Cube 80XL but then went for the tech 21 with the hype..
Now this brand new is up for sale and I can afford a Roland cube 40XL immediately..will that be a good choice? I don't need the amp to be very loud, I want the tone through the aux input..the 40XL has a 10" as opposed to the 12" on the 80XL.

Elantric

• Global Moderator

IMHO - its a poor decision to classify the Tech 21 Power Engine as a true "Full Range / Flat Response" system suitable for Guitar Synth needs.

Those who recommend the Tech 21 Power Engine  are typically Line 6 POD users who are only using the Tech 21 Power Engine only for Guitar amp emulation needs.

Elantric

• Global Moderator

I would not waste my $$ or time with a Cube 40XL - it does not have adequate clean headroom for synth tones when used in a typical band environment.

If you need to go cheap - find a close out  / used Cube 80X  - this was the short lived predecessor to the Cube80XL , and I have seen those for $200 

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-ROLAND-CUBE-80X-COMBO-AMP-7-5-050612-623-107713950-i2505895.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1352337644
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:22:01 PM by Elantric »

Bill Ruppert

Why would you want a Roland cube which only has a 12 inch speaker?
It will sound just like the Tech 21.
You are playing into a guitar amp with the speaker simulation on.
IT WILL BE DARK and lifeless.
If you want it on you need to buy something with tweeters in it to reproduce the high end!
OR turn off your speaker sims.
( or put tweeters in the power engine ...$50.00)

You are bad rapping the power engines while you are using them wrong.

Thanks Elantric!..Actually I was almost sold out on the Roland Cube 80XL but then went for the tech 21 with the hype..
Now this brand new is up for sale and I can afford a Roland cube 40XL immediately..will that be a good choice? I don't need the amp to be very loud, I want the tone through the aux input..the 40XL has a 10" as opposed to the 12" on the 80XL.

Elantric

• Global Moderator

Why would you want a Roland cube which only has a 12 inch speaker?

Because the new Cube 80X and Cube 80XL are modeling amps that have a special designed  12" "near full range" speaker with a relatively Flat Frequency Response of 40 to 9kHz, and 80 clean watts RMS. ( I know as I own one of each)

The guitar speaker in the Tech 21 PE60 Power Engine is only good for 40 to 3.5kHz, and Bill's PE60 tweeter mod " is mandatory for Synth guitar users:

More here:
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6748.msg46671#msg46671
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:17:57 PM by Elantric »

Bill Ruppert

Interesting.
It must be a whizzer speaker???

The tweeter mod I did in the power engine takes you up to 20K.

I do love my little Roland Mobile cube....
That thing sound amazing.

myksara

Thanks Elantric!..I have ordered a Roland Cube 80XL today and will post my experience soon..love this forum :)

Elantric

• Global Moderator

I do love my little Roland Mobile cube....
That thing sound amazing.

Agreed. I have played a lot of busking gigs with the Mobile Cube until the left speaker blew out.
Need to get some replacement speakers for it now.

myksara

I have got my Roland Cube 80XL and I am quite pleased with the purchase (thanks Elantric!)
I have not even scratched the surface, but here's my comments based on my 1 hour of fiddling with it (at bedroom levels).
1) Pretty intuitive amp and tight low end!
2) Nicely written user manual gives you everything you need to know about the amp- crisp and clear
3) Pretty compact for 80W size and looks sturdy with corners protected and a metal cover in the front.
4) I tried the aux in input with my Godin LGXT and GR55. Sounds very nice- much better than my Tech 21 PE60. The disadvantage of running your GR55 in this way is that you don't get to control your amp at all. Volume or EQ controlling is not possible on the amp.
5) I experimented a little bit and connected the GR55 to the input channel of the amp too. With this you get to control the EQ and volume using the onboard knobs on your amp. I got a sweet acoustic sound with my acoustic patch on GR55 + the acoustic sim model selected on the cube 80XL, just with a little bit of EQ tweaks. I kept the gain knob on the amp low and raised the volume.
6) For the electric sounds from my GR55 (cleans as well as dirty), I switched to the JC clean amp setting on the Roland cube 80XL (this is quick with the press of a button). Presence on 0 and EQuing helped me get my tones sounding real nice!

Mind you, this test is just at bedroom levels, I can't wait to go high on the volume and test everything again.

So far, excellent and a versatile amp..worth every penny and I don't think I would need any amp for my GR55 soon!!... :) :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Blog