Show us your VGuitar gear ...

Started by GrinPicker, March 09, 2009, 12:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vade

Looks like one fine journey. Enjoy pairing your baby with the GP-10!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

maxdaddy

Romero,
Very nice. Could you share the details of the EL wire binding?
thanks

Ed Driscoll

When I bought my VG-88 in 2006, I had a friend with some carpentry skills build a simple but sturdy box to park my Sweetwater PC on top over it and slide out the VG-88 when I want to record. There's a TC-Helicon PowerCore Elements unit on top of the PC which I still own but haven't used in ages. A year later, I also acquired an early VG-99 after doing the product review of the device for Vintage Guitar magazine. It sits on the desk above the VG-88, which I still own.

Around 2005, I did an article on the Roland GI-20 and a primer on MIDI guitar in general for the electronics magazine Nuts & Volts, and had a friend who was a semi-pro photographer shoot some photos of me posing alongside it with my Roland-Ready Strat in my wife's law office. I figured the white walls would make for a good clean background, without the spaghetti bowl of wires that is my home studio. Still have the GI-20 and use it quite a bit.

addseo1115

Wow, Thump up. Great forum! You are so cool guitarists.
Thanks for sharing. :o

stratrat

Floor: Roland GR-55 guitar synth; Roland KD-9 kick trigger; Boss FV-500L (vocal harmony volume); Roland TD-9 drum module; Roland KD-9 kick trigger; TC Electronic G-system.
Rack: Fishman Aura Spectrum DI (on top); Samson PB10 power conditioner; Focusrite Liquid 56 interface (also used as rack mixer); Eleven Rack; Digitech VoiceLivePro; Lexicon MPX550; ; TC Electronic G-system.
Hands: Carvin NS-1 Nylon; Custom Strat.

Guitar signal chain:
                          MPX550
                          ^    ^
Strat Magnetic -> 11Rack => Liquid56

Strat Piezo
      |             Aura
      |             ^   ^
      -> A/B -> G-Sys => Liquid56
      |
      |
Nylon Piezo

Nylon 13-Pin -> GR55 => Liquid56

Drums:
The drums are two kick triggers and drum brain mounted to one curved rack tube, so it stands as a single unit. The Radial ProD2 for the brain is velcroed on to one of the triggers.

Carvin NS-1

JolietJake

That guitar is a thing of beauty.  8)

stratrat

Quote from:  JolietJake on April 22, 2015, 05:58:44 AM
That guitar is a thing of beauty.  8)
Yup - even nicer in person too.

I have a few small niggles - things I would special request if I had another built (like a slight forearm contour and a less generic bridge shape) and a few things where the detail isn't quite perfect. But for the most part, it's a great guitar.

JolietJake

Just realised it reminds me of my latest acquisition (Chapman ML1)
(It's not my picture but it looks just the same).

addseo1115

;D ;D  nice to see your great recommend. Thank you so much.

stratrat

Quote from:  JolietJake on April 22, 2015, 12:24:06 PM
Just realised it reminds me of my latest acquisition (Chapman ML1).
That looks pretty spiffy too! Love a good honeyburst/amberburst...

Frankster

I posted this in another thread but I suppose it should go here too, my 1986 E-series Japanese Contemporary Stratocaster with internal GK-3.

romero

Hey Maxdaddy. The EL wire is the basic Chinese type available from ebay. The wire comes in different lengths i just ordered extra and cut the end to length. they are available with different power sources, 2xaa 2xaaa, 12v auto ETC, they also have different colors, and  controllers, i chose the off/on/blink slow/blink fast and another that is sound reactive. First time i did this i used clear silicone to adhere but eventually after friction it came loose in some spots and took a little of my painted binding off when removing it lol, at that point i just super glued it on. i clip the controller on my belt, pants pocket for performance, just get the ones with the quick disconnect

Headless68

Having a play about to find the most useable configuration for the revised rig .....

Headless68

Today's little task - GK3 removed & replaced with GK2 - I'm instantly happier with the sound / tone - must just be the years & years of using GK2 has my ears tuned into its particular (warmer) tone
All Good

Headless (or not in the case of this one :-).

JolietJake

Here is my 2nd GK-Kit guitar. It's essentially a "Home made" GC-1.
I bought a Squier bullet Strat specifically for this and good a good deal on a new one for £75. The quality of the finish is a bit suspect (you can actually see some scratches under the poly in these pics) but what do you expect for £75. The neck feels surprisingly good and overall the guitar is extremely light at just under 4 pounds.

Not much to say, a pretty standard installation.

I had built and adjusted everything before removing the GK pickup and giving it a few coats of white gloss,

I'm pretty experienced with tools but if I had to give anyone any advice I would say throw away the PCB mounted socket that comes with the kit and invest in a circular socket (I believe Gumbo supplies them). This would have been much easier and in fact the supplied mounting plate for the socket did not even lie flush against the edge of my guitar because of the curve and I cut a rubber washer to close the gap and prevent any dust or liquids getting in there.

Elantric

JolietJake

gumbo

DEFINITELY a great job!!!

...and thanks for the plug BTW,  ...errr, Jack, ...errr     ::)

Peter   ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Headless68

Evil plan coming together nicely
Next step - I think I better make a flight case so I can leave it all plugged in when moving it
To the drawing board ......

JolietJake

Quote from: gumbo on June 26, 2015, 03:47:11 AM
DEFINITELY a great job!!!

...and thanks for the plug BTW,  ...errr, Jack, ...errr     ::)

Peter   ;D

Thanks Gumbo

The next time I'm doing another GK-Kit the first thing I'll be doing is getting in touch with you and make sure I have one of your sockets.

Regards

Joliet Jake (AKA Colin  :) )

gumbo

Quote from: JolietJake on June 26, 2015, 04:35:11 AM
Thanks Gumbo

The next time I'm doing another GK-Kit the first thing I'll be doing is getting in touch with you and make sure I have one of your sockets.

Regards

Joliet Jake (AKA Colin  :) )

..thanks again for the vote of confidence Colin..
BTW, right now I'm in the process of putting together another batch of units which are pre-wired with the correct GK-board multiplugs, so they sell as a simple plug-in / bolt-in substitution for the Roland jack and its two ribbon cables..
and doing some more GK-2A ones also as Roland-Ready Strat retrofits..   (these come with a different multiplug wiring layout and shorter cable to suit, and bolt up to the back of the original R-R jack mounting plate using the same holes and bolts)   ;)

Never a dull moment Down Here.. ::)   ...you'll have to come down and visit one day!!

Cheers,
Peter in Oz

gumbo

Quote from: Headless68 on June 26, 2015, 03:48:07 AM
Evil plan coming together nicely
Next step - I think I better make a flight case so I can leave it all plugged in when moving it
To the drawing board ......

..that's interesting..    ;D
..and I didn't realise the actual size of the M-Audio footprint until that photo...nearly bought one from an Interstate source Down Here (in Oz) who are selling them for 39AUD...   as it turns out, it wouldn't have fitted in with the available real estate I have left in the pedal-board case / all-encompassing floor unit thingy that I'm putting together which covers GR-55, GP-10 and GKPX-14...(so that I can leave everything plugged in!!!)   ....hmmm...   ::)    Thanks for that!  (I think!)

Peter

whippinpost91850

Quote from: gumbo on June 26, 2015, 04:51:40 AM
..thanks again for the vote of confidence Colin..
BTW, right now I'm in the process of putting together another batch of units which are pre-wired with the correct GK-board multiplugs, so they sell as a simple plug-in / bolt-in substitution for the Roland jack and its two ribbon cables..
and doing some more GK-2A ones also as Roland-Ready Strat retrofits..   (these come with a different multiplug wiring layout and shorter cable to suit, and bolt up to the back of the original R-R jack mounting plate using the same holes and bolts)   ;)

Never a dull moment Down Here.. ::)   ...you'll have to come down and visit one day!!

Cheers,
Peter in Oz

Please keep us posted when the replacement jacks are available. I'll take at least 2. Paul

gumbo

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 26, 2015, 09:00:37 AM
Please keep us posted when the replacement jacks are available. I'll take at least 2. Paul

..will do..
Regards,
Peter

Headless68

Partway through my 'plug in & play' roland arsenal flight case
.....hope I can pick it up when it's finished

:-)